Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: HELP Choosing a reel

Of the way too many reels that I have for a 5 weight outfit at around $150.00, I would suggest a Lamson Konic 1.5 or 2.0, Ross Flyrise or if you are willing to approach $200.00 a Ross CLA, or a Okuma SLV (ca. $75.00). I have fished with all of these and enjoyed them.
    I hope this helps.
    barham

2. Default Re: HELP Choosing a reel

Redington Rise is a great deal:
    Redington Rise Fly Reel – Black : Cabela's

I like Lamson a lot. I have a Guru 3.5 and its great. I don't much care for the Konic because it is cast. If you want a Lamson I would look at the Guru.

The Rise is one of the best deals in reels. Beautiful machining, smooth drag. Very durable. I actually own one in all sizes they make.

I've made that choice and I've never regretted my decision...an LL Bean Double L Mid Arbor. I admire its smooth, beautiful machining. I've never had any problems with it, nor with the subsequent Double L reels I purchased as my primary stream and salt water reels.

And being LL Bean, they have the ultimate guarantee.

4. Default Re: HELP Choosing a reel

Quote Originally Posted by baseman1 View Post
    Orvis Battenkill or Access mid arbor.
    This. Great reels for the money!

5. Likes baseman1 liked this post
  6. Default Re: HELP Choosing a reel

I have a Ross Vexsis 2 (black) and a Ross CLA 2 (grey) that I've never fish and I'm willing to sell. I'd sell the Vexsis for $175 to your door or $150 for the CLA.

I have an Allen Trout II. It's very well made and definitely fits in your price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll second the Orvis Battenkill. I've used/abused these reels in the disc model for twenty years and nary a problem. Bean has their LL on sasle for a hundred and Cabelas has some nice deals in their bargain cave. Shop around in there. They have a couple of nice house brands down to under $100 and good prices on Lamson and Redingtons. Check out Sierra trading post as well.

There are a bunch of things on close out. There are also a number of good rods and reels out there in your $300 budget? You could buy a good 2013 close out line from one of the big names (SA or Rio) for around $50. When you buy the rod/reel/line combos, they usually come with a cheap line. That Redington CT rod you have right now is on sale at Cabelas in a 5wt for $75. You could get a Ross Flyrise reel size 2 for $110 or a Lamson Konic size 2 for $149. Allen has some good gear too. Yellowstone Angler named the Mystic Reaper rod at $199 the best budget 5wt. It would likely have a faster action than the CT though.

I could go on. Before I do... You should ask yourself if you really like how your 4wt casts. If you do, just go to Cabelas and buy the Redington CT 9' 5wt for $75 before they are all gone! You'll never find a better rod at that low a price. If you read through this forum, you'll find that many people here own and absolutely love that rod. I own one myself. If you ever want to upgrade, that CT 5wt would make a really good back up rod. During my last 4 day trip, 2 out of 4 fishermen broke rods. We were all Very Happy we had extra rods along!! I mean breaking a rod is bad. Breaking a rod and being stuck somewhere with no back up is even worse.

Given your $300 budget, you could buy the CT rod for $75, Konic size 2 reel for $149 and have $75 left over to get backing and a good fly line! This would be one nice setup!!

EDIT: South Houlston River Fly Shop has an Echo Edge rod with a Konic 2 reel on sale for $240. They are one of this site's sponsors. I'm betting they could help you select a line and even install it for you if you bought a reel from them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by ts47; 11-29-2013 at 12:54 AM.
    Todd

"If people concentrated on the really important things of life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
    ~ Doug Larson

Ok, so I have narrowed it down to two each. Tell me which ones you think are better.

Reels:

Cabela's RLS+ Fly Reel : Cabela's

Redington Rise Fly Reel – Black : Cabela's

Rods:

St. Croix Rio Santo Fly Rods : Cabela's

Cabela's LSi Fly Rods : Cabela's

The rod will be a 9' 5wt 4 piece and the reel will be a 5-6wt.

Thanks for all the posts so far guys, lots of good information.
    There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind. ~Washington Irving

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

Quote Originally Posted by jhardin80 View Post
    Ok, so I have narrowed it down to two each. Tell me which ones you think are better.

Reels:

Cabela's RLS+ Fly Reel : Cabela's

Redington Rise Fly Reel Black : Cabela's

Rods:

St. Croix Rio Santo Fly Rods : Cabela's

Cabela's LSi Fly Rods : Cabela's

The rod will be a 9' 5wt 4 piece and the reel will be a 5-6wt.

Thanks for all the posts so far guys, lots of good information.
    The Cabelas rod is better than the Rio Santo IMHO. I had a Rio Santo in my hand a week ago. My father-in law bought one. Between the two choices, I would say no contest and go for the Cabelas rod.

For the reel, again the Cabelas is likely the better choice. It has a Rulon disk drag versus the Redington's cork/Teflon drag.

Enjoy your new setup!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Todd

"If people concentrated on the really important things of life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
    ~ Doug Larson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12