Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default scientific anglers system 1 456

Good evening everyone. I just took a fly fishing lesson on Saturday and am anxious to get started. I live in Maryland and have the gunpowder, savage and north Potomac river to fish trout in. What got me started is I found a scientific angler system one 456 reel that I bought brand new about 15 years ago and never used. First, is this reel still ok to use and is the reel any good. Second, I was thinking about a sage launch 5 wt rod since they have it at a well known tackle shop in Baltimore City for a $130.00. Is this a good set up or should I just get a different reel to go with the rod or a different set up altogether. I plan to fish mostly trout but might venture into some bass. Thanks for any help and I love this forum.

Thanks
    Walt

2. Smile Re: scientific anglers system 1 456

Sounds like a sound way to get started. Take the reel with you when you buy the rod to make sure that you are comfortable with how everything works and fits. Enjoy

Blog Entries

Default Re: scientific anglers system 1 456

In most situations, a 5 weight reel holds lines. However, there will be times when Homie might force you to fight him off the reel. A SA System 456 will be fine for your application. If you feel that you must upgrade the reel, you can do it anytime.

MP
    Last edited by MoscaPescador; 08-03-2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: grammar