Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fly reel

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fly reel

Quote Originally Posted by adrian191 View Post
    Yes, i was looking at the allen trout II reel. Either that the lamson konic, or the orvis Access mid arbor. I really like the look of the allen reel and the review are great. Btw way who ever has it can you post a picture of it. I either want the green or the orange. I wanna see it on a picture because i no it will look diffrent on the allen site and an actual picture.
    Best photo I have

Green Trout II hanging on a 4wt Z-Axis

"The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,
    CuttyRainbrowns, Pike ,Perch"

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

adrian191 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
    All of these suggestions are good ones. Any of the reels mentioned here would serve you very well. In deciding between the reels mentioned, it may be more about what you think looks good and the price, rather than which one is the best.

I am assuming you likely bought a 5wt rod for trout fishing? Something that would help us help you is to share the length & rating (5wt, etc) for the rod and what type of fishing you will be using it for. The suggestion you get for trout may be very different than the suggestion you would get if you were, say, steelhead fishing.

One suggestion I will make is to consider a reel one size up from the size rated for your weight rod. Reels have gotten very light these days. I often find that a slightly larger reel will help you to better balance your rig.

Also, you will likely want to buy a reel with a disk drag. Some people buy the click & pawl because they like it better, not because it is a better drag system. If this is your first reel and you are simply looking for something good that you can afford, a disk drag is the way to go.

Todd

Edit: BTW... That Greys rod is nice one. I hope you enjoy it!
    I actually got the 4 wt 8'

Why not look at the Grey's reels.

With 2 spare spools.

Greys Fly - Products - Reels - Greys Reels - GX500 Reel

adrian191 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
    Best photo I have

Green Trout II hanging on a 4wt Z-Axis

Ohh i like it. I wonder how the orange looks?

For just $20 over budget, you could REALLY class it up with a reel from Grey's parent company - Hardy. The CC line of reels is absolutely beautiful, light, functional, and comes in polished or black in sizes to cover from 2wt to 5wt.

6. Likes shifty242 liked this post

which XF2 streamflex did you buy? or which length & weight rather? Look at the greys gx700 in 4/5/6/.

Blog Entries

Ohh i like it. I wonder how the orange looks?
    My buddy has the orange one on a Sage Flight and it looks nice, it is his primary reel on a wt as well. I dont have any pics but the orange is very nice looking as well.
    "The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,
    CuttyRainbrowns, Pike ,Perch"

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

adrian191 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    which XF2 streamflex did you buy? or which length & weight rather? Look at the greys gx700 in 4/5/6/.
    4wt 8' rod

4wt 8' rod
    Hardy 3000cc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12