Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly reel

adrian191 Guest

Default Fly reel

So i just orderes the Greys XF2 streamflex and i want to pair it with a reel. MY budget is 100 to 150. And i dont want the orvis batenkill I dont realy like it.

Default Re: Fly reel

Cabelas has the Sage 1800 series reels on sale for $79.00. That is a very hard deal to pass up. Sage, sealed carbon drag, under $80, sleek looks....what's not to love!

Do you have a preference as to drag type ie click pawl or disk type? What about machined vs cast?

I personally think you aren't going to find a better reel for the price then the recently discontinued Lamson Velocity. I've seen it listed as low as $135. Any other reel that comes close would run you at least $100 more and probably still wouldn't be as light or have as nice a drag system.

adrian191 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
    Do you have a preference as to drag type ie click pawl or disk type? What about machined vs cast?

I personally think you aren't going to find a better reel for the price then the recently discontinued Lamson Velocity. I've seen it listed as low as $135. Any other reel that comes close would run you at least $100 more and probably still wouldn't be as light or have as nice a drag system.
    I forgot to mention that this is my first actuall reel. And i dont know the diffrence in click pawl or disk is. Also isnt a machined real better.

pawls are triangular shapes (usually metal) that bear against the toothed gear on the spool

discs are just that, a circular disc against which pressure is made for drag - you can find many photos of these on ebay

here is a topic from fiberglass flyrodders forum with photos to illustrate pawl and click reels: http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/foru...=1396&start=25

good reels in your range are used Hardy Marquis and their cousins the Scientific Anglers System reels, System 4, System 5 etc.

The Lamson Konic is within your price range and is a great reel IMO. I have one on my 3wt and my 8wt and they have never failed me yet.
    And they have the same drag system as the higher end Lamson reels.

Blog Entries

check out the allen trout serirs reels.
    great reels and great company
    Reels - Allen Fly Fishing Store

casey

ARFE

8. Likes N/A liked this post

Allen Trout II reel!

10. Likes N/A liked this post
    adrian191 Guest

Yes, i was looking at the allen trout II reel. Either that the lamson konic, or the orvis Access mid arbor. I really like the look of the allen reel and the review are great. Btw way who ever has it can you post a picture of it. I either want the green or the orange. I wanna see it on a picture because i no it will look diffrent on the allen site and an actual picture.

All of these suggestions are good ones. Any of the reels mentioned here would serve you very well. In deciding between the reels mentioned, it may be more about what you think looks good and the price, rather than which one is the best.

I am assuming you likely bought a 5wt rod for trout fishing? Something that would help us help you is to share the length & rating (5wt, etc) for the rod and what type of fishing you will be using it for. The suggestion you get for trout may be very different than the suggestion you would get if you were, say, steelhead fishing.

One suggestion I will make is to consider a reel one size up from the size rated for your weight rod. Reels have gotten very light these days. I often find that a slightly larger reel will help you to better balance your rig.

Also, you will likely want to buy a reel with a disk drag. Some people buy the click & pawl because they like it better, not because it is a better drag system. If this is your first reel and you are simply looking for something good that you can afford, a disk drag is the way to go.

Todd

Edit: BTW... That Greys rod is nice one. I hope you enjoy it!
    Todd

"If people concentrated on the really important things of life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
    ~ Doug Larson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast