Question: suggestions for affordable fly reels

akuriko

Reaction score
Hello i am shopping for a Affordable fly reel that wont break the bank, prefurably maybe a redington, orvis or a echo, does anyone have those and if so are the good and reliable? also i will take suggestions on other brands, those ones i came up with on the tip of my tongue.

Thank you for your help

~Akuriko

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Akuriko: Please update your profile to let us know the general area where you are located and tell us what type of fish you normally go after, that would be a big help in trying to answer your question.

If you are fishing for trout, the reel doesn't have to be much, basically it is there to hold your line, a basic click and pawl reel would do just fine. If your fishing the salt, then that is a whole different animal and you will need a much better built reel with a sealed drag.
In your search take a hard look at the Allen Fly Fishing reels, they are a sponsor and offer some very nice gear with an awesome warranty.

Larry

akuriko

Reaction score
Akuriko: Please update your profile to let us know the general area where you are located and tell us what type of fish you normally go after, that would be a big help in trying to answer your question.

If you are fishing for trout, the reel doesn't have to be much, basically it is there to hold your line, a basic click and pawl reel would do just fine. If your fishing the salt, then that is a whole different animal and you will need a much better built reel with a sealed drag.
In your search take a hard look at the Allen Fly Fishing reels, they are a sponsor and offer some very nice gear with an awesome warranty.

Larry
Ok, Thanks i am in washington state i go after trout, steel head and salmon. :D

williamhj

Reaction score
+1 to what Larry said. For trout I'd say look at the Orvis Battenkill or the Allen ATS reel which both run about $100. If you use links to them in the forum then it credits the forum. They are both sponsors. If you're looking for something for salt / salmon and such larger fish than you'll need a bigger reel.

caseywise

Reaction score
i will also suggest looking at the line of allen reels.
the trout II, as well as the ats reels are a serious
bang for your buck.
great guys and a great company:D

casey

itchmesir

Reaction score
You need to look at Okuma. They make great reels. Have owned both the SLV and Integrity. Customer service is good too. Both those reels are in the $40-60 range depending on where you shop. I've also heard good things about their Sierra series. Which is even cheaper.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
It might help to know what your budget actually might be. However, here's my two cents:

I have both the Redington Drift (2/3) wt.) and an Orvis Battenkill (5/6) among my reels. Both are cast aluminum, click-and-pawl drag reels that offer a fairly decent bang-for-your-buck value. In my personal opinion, the Orvis is better looking, however, the drag adjustment is on the inside of this reel, as opposed to the Drift. This may matter to you. For myself, I adjusted both drags on my reels once and haven't been bothered to change them in over six years. But I prefer to palm drag a click-and-pawl reel(makes me feel more like a real fly fisherman).

I have no fishing experience with the Echo Ion, but I have handled one at the store, and I can tell you that it is a modern style, high performance reel. It features a Rulon disc drag, tight tolerances and a machined finish (it is in fact a cast aluminum reel that has been machined then coated for impact/abrasion resistance). Of the three reels you mentioned in your OP, this one is probably the best value/performance for your dollar.

Other reels you might consider:

I have a couple Okuma SLVs (3/4 wt. and 5/6) as well and will tell you unhesitatingly that this reel offers one of the best drags I've ever used. It uses a cork drag, which sounds low tech, but I can tell you that after having numerous fish over 20 inches on these reels, that the drag flat out works as smoothly if not more so than any other drag system I've ever used. They are a modern style, cast aluminum reel, large arbor design. A common complaint with these reels is that the reel foot is sometimes cast too large to fit perfectly on some rods. I had this problem with an Imperial rod. However, even though the reel foot wouldn't fully slot into the rod, it never popped off, and in no way did it interfere with my ability to cast or fish this reel.

They aren't pretty and the graphics will fade after a short time. Also, some folks say they are fragile. I've only broken one reel in the last ten years and it was one of my Okumas. I drove over it (3/4) in a 5,000 lb. SUV. The spool cracked in several places, but the reel actually survived intact. I'm still fishing this reel today with a new spool I bought for $25. So much for fragility.

I also have an Okuma Sierra (8 wt.), which I'm not terribly fond of, but it does the job I need it to do. It's another cast aluminum reel, which tends to be a bit heavy, and ugly looking, but the drag works well.

Finally, I also own a Lamson Konic (4/5). This is another cast aluminum, large arbor, disc drag reel. In my opinion, it's not as good a reel as the Echo, but if I'd never seen that Echo I probably would tell you that this one was the best of the bunch previously mentioned. As it is, while it's a lightweight, disc drag reel, which operates very smoothly, it also looks too Star Wars for me, and the finish is still obviously cast aluminum. Additionally, in most cases it's priced higher than the Echo, and there you have it.

Anyway, hope that helps. Also, you can probably do a search and find a lot more info for your questions on this subject.

Peace.

moxnichts

Reaction score
I have a LLbean Quest that I like very much. Its actually a reel made by Scierra which doesnt seem to have much presence in the US, but seems to be available everywhere else in the world. I believe the site has a thread on this reel. In my view it runs just a little larger by stated line weight than some reels.

My absolute favorite reel is the Allen Kracken which wasnt easily in my budget, but I won it here! Continued thanks to the site and Allen! I believe you wont get better service than Allen provides and LLbean always has their unconditional guarantee.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/76561?feat=fly

Last edited:

ulflyfisherman

Reaction score
The Orvis and Redington are both quality reels that will do the trick for you, and both have lineage of long standing companies with track records of excellent products and customer service. Okuma has been around for a bit, too, but I've only used one of their reels for two seasons. It held up perfectly fine for all sorts of freshwater fishing.

gutterpunk

Reaction score
The Battenkill is a good reel, but since you need two, I'd go even cheaper on the trout. I have Echo and they are good reels, you can get a Solo for $35 (the Ion is $80). Then spend more on the salmon reel.

M

mridenour

I'm becoming an Allen guy all the way. The drag systems work great for big trout, steel and salmon. I haven't used one of their reels that I didn't love and the price is right.

standman

Reaction score
I like the LL Bean reels. For trout, the click and pawl Pocket Water is sufficient. For types of fishing where an effective drag is desired, the Double L Mid-Arbor is a smart looking choice. I have the 3/4, 5/6, and 7/8 reels and have not had a single complaint.

rockthief

Reaction score
That Bean Pocket water s a nice reel for 99$. I have never liked the appearance of the Orvis Battenkill but for some people appearance does not matter. Okuma SLV is great for the price. Like the Redington Drift as well.

barham

Reaction score
The Allen ATS for around $100 is pretty hard to beat, also, the Ross Flyrise for about the same price is nice also.
barham

caseywise

Reaction score
The Allen ATS for around $100 is pretty hard to beat, also, the Ross Flyrise for about the same price is nice also.
barham
i bought my wife an allen ats last summer and i have to say, for the
price, unbeatable.
fully machined, buttery smooth disc drag and good lookin!
:D

casey