Connecting The Backing To Your Reel Spool;

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't recall this being a topic and if it has been this should still be helpful. It may seem unlikely but I have never known a good and universal means for making this simple connection or back line to spool. I've hacked along my entire life making up a new knot every time I had to back line a reel.

Not anymore; I was about to spool up back line to a brand new reel and as I tried to remember how the heck I do this it dawned on me that the computer could probably smooth out the ride for me considerably.

I did it and can assure you it is simple and works well, thanks to the fellow who took the time to post that. Now it's here for reference because I'm sure I'll need it next time I back a new reel :D

Ard

Last edited:
T

turbineblade

Looks like a "fishin' fool" knot -- which is basically a uni knot with 2 turns through the eye (or around the spool).

It is incredibly strong -- won knot wars a couple of years ago.

jaybo41

Reaction score
You know, for as many reels/spools as I've loaded up with backing, I'm not sure I have ever found a great way to do it. I always find myself looking for the Arbor Knot instructions and it doesn't seem to work out quite the way I had hoped but does end up working.

This is a MUCH easier way to get it done. Thanks for sharing Ard!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I was serious about what I said in the original post here Jason, I've been making up a new way to do this for going on 50 years :eek: Today when I was about to back line that new Hardy I was sitting right here at my desk with a computer directly in front of me and 'viola'!

I guess I've always accepted any old way I could get it done betting that I'd never get to the bottom of the backing.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
This knot looks a lot more secure than the arbor knot I am using now. I knew it was good when I saw musky face at the beginning of the vid. :) Only thing left now is to hook a fish to test this knot. Or maybe I need to fish with smaller reels? :)

jaybo41

Reaction score
You were right on in your post Ard. If I had to venture a guess, the probability that you would not have mastered an Arbor Knot or another method to attach backing to a spool would be extremely unlikely. I figure a fellow like you who's been at this for quite some time would have this all figured out. When I think about it though, it's not a knot that we do all that often so it's completely understandable.

All this said, I don't feel so bad now that I know I'm not alone.

siege

Reaction score
That post would make a good sticky, Ard, like the one added recently on repairing breathable waders.
In fact, it would be good to have a place for the moderators to put quality how-to's together in one area. It would save a lot of searching and scratching.
We have a tip thread (little tricks to share), but some longer posts could be put in this separate section.
Entries could be suggested, mods could select. This would keep things on track, and avoid adding comments to the area.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
Any tips on how to transfer line and backing from an existing reel to a new one? I did it with my 4wt a couple months ago and have brand new 6wt reel sitting in the box because the other was such a pain. Or maybe I'm just lazy.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
That is slick isn't it? Over the years I've probably invented 20 knots while backing a spool, none of which I could remember when it came time to do the next.................

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
This method is all fine and good, however, being S&S, I am "compelled" to add a detail or two.

This was done with rope for visibility and Dacron backing is thin stuff. I form a double line by making a 12 to 18" long surgeons loop in the backing. Then tie another micro surgeons loop at the tip of the loop (1/8" no more). Then, as in the video, go around the arbor twice, take the tag with the micro loop knot around the doubled standing line not six but two or three times. Slowly tightening, I allow the micro "lock" knot to slide down and lock against the doubled assembly insuring that, even if Leviathan spools you, the knot can not slip open and, being doubled, is stronger that the standing backing so it won't bust at the reel. In the extreme, something has to give...may it not be the full rigging's attachment to the reel!

My version of the video's standard fly shop method is conceptually stronger due to the line doubling and lock knot and I wish I could tell you it has stood the test of time against the wrath of many a giant specimen. NEVER have I been completely spooled. There have been a handful of close calls, each with a grandiose story connected to it, but never have I come tight to this knot with an angry fish on the other end. I like a lot of backing, even on my trout reels 100+ yards is normal for me and twice that in the salt. By the time any fish gets that far away from you in some unusual environment, something else is likely to give before you get to the end of your string. Still, I go for the extra strength just in case it ever happens. In a way, I look forward to it.

troutnut4

Reaction score
I was hoping that a comment would be made as to the LHW versus the RHW procedure when wrapping the backing on the spool. Will this procedure differ from one to the other? :confused: I tend to like fishing English made RHWs (Hardy).

comeonavs

Reaction score
Funny part is I never saw this thread but the other day bought a Kraken and a spool of 30b backing. Googled how to and this video came up.

Very easy method and I highly doubt my average quarry a 9" brookie will get through 90' of floating line and 300' of backing

Come to think of it scotch tape would suffice for my purposes[poke]

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Sad to say i've never had to test the strength of my backing to reel knot. :(
There's nothing wrong with that, neither have I. That back line is just an insurance for the times when a fish can actually get 100 feet away from you. Now that I've had happen a few times but only once did the back line get way out. When that happens it's time to run.

Ard