Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  92
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Pflueger® Medalist Fly Reel

Default Re: 2016 Pflueger® Medalist Fly Reel

I'm hoping the price will be below $100.00..

I like the idea of the new tuna can!
    Dustin

2. Likes rockriver liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by onemississipp View Post
    China - just got off the phone with them.

Good news is the guy that answered the phone is American made (well, I really can't confirm that, didn't speak with his parents)!

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

My Echo is made in Asia - the Pflueger guy should have said that instead of China. It sounds better doesn't it?

Asia
    They built the Great Wall and they still make some great fly fishing gear... So I'm not complaining. Can't knock another country for wanting to have viable economy.

Quote Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
    The design has grown on me. But the price will still keep me away. What's next? Martin rehashing their tuna can reels and selling them for $100. "better aluminum"
    I actually looked at the Pflueger website just yesterday to see if the new Medalists were on sale yet (not that I plan on buying one)
    They also have a new "Martin-looking" reel, the Monarch, which probably would be more my style.... if I was ever in the market for an "inexperienced" click (which I'm not )

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

5. Likes onemississipp, hairwing530 liked this post

I haven't fished a Pflueger Medalist (original, Akron Ohio made) in many years. They're too clunky for the modern graphite rods I fish and their concave reel foot fails to fit many contemporary reels seats. However, I am confident I could take an old mid size Medalist and crush this new $140 "Pflueger" flat and it would not be impacted at all...get a scratch?..well, every Medalist I have in storage somewhere is scratched already. Also a mid size Medalist of yore has a spring loaded polymer break shoe that actually generated drag pressure, not a mere spring and pawl, click check. I know, I know, Pure likes to buy grand brand names, build not necessarily related products in "Asia" and market them, in this case, as improved retro cool. I would simply call it (a la Sienfeld), "Fake, fake and faker".

An authentic spring and pawl Medalist (This is not it, but is identical to the very first fly reel I ever owned. My first one is in far better condition).

Well since Pure Fishing owns Hardy it only makes sense every retro reel now comes equipped with the hardy style click n pawl... This is my biggest gripe about the new medalist... The old drag plate design worked/works well... Adds more drag than a click n pawl but nothing over the top like today's disc drag...Pure Fishing should've just done the market research... Aka check the used market... No one has an issue with how medalist have been built for the past 40+ years...

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    I actually looked at the Pflueger website just yesterday to see if the new Medalists were on sale yet (not that I plan on buying one)
    They also have a new "Martin-looking" reel, the Monarch, which probably would be more my style.... if I was ever in the market for an "inexperienced" click (which I'm not )

Looks more like any genetic ventilated reel that's been produced since the 70s

8. Likes lake flyer, hairwing530 liked this post

It would have been nice to do a full retro of the reels old drag system...But I guess it's cheaper to outfit all these style reels with the same drag system..Wonder if this (medalist) and the Hardy's are made in same factory.
    Dustin

10. Likes lake flyer, hairwing530 liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by dragon11 View Post
    I have a friend who swears my medalist reels. He's had one for as long as I can remember and it's pretty much all he fishes with. He was complaining the other day about them not being made anymore?

If this is true, and their going to start making them again, that will be good news for him. I'm interested in hearing what others say about it. I would be interested myself.
    Great Post! I'm IN!

If you're in your 60's or 70's this was probably your first fly reel; things are INDUSTRUCTABLE! Well, I did lay one of my rods down (on the ground as I was taking my waders off), behind the car, drove over the poor thing. Didn't do the rod any good either.

Next really stupid thing was putting the rod/reel on top of the car .... one guess ... ya, I forgot. Hear the 'scraaaaaape' and AH ZNGKJEA; Guy behind me couldn't react fast enough.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

12. Likes onemississipp, dragon11, hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post

Looks like the same reel that was sold pre-merger as the Greys G series (and that was also sold before Albright died as the Albright Topwater). In the Greys (and Albright) models, the 3/4 size had a click check while the 5/6 and 7/8 sizes had disc drags.

Last edited by moucheur2003; 02-05-2016 at 06:41 PM.

14. Likes sweetandsalt, hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
    Great Post! I'm IN!
    I decided, I'm in too! I have drank and then puked more money than that more than once! And in Asia no less!
    Dustin

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
    Looks like the same reel that was sold pre-merger as the Greys G series (and that was also sold before Albright died as the Albright Topwater). In the Greys (and Albright) models, the 3/4 size had a click check while the 5/6 and 7/8 sizes had disc drags.

Greys G-Series Fly Reel
    Sure does look like a 'dead ringer' doesn't it?

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

17. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast