Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  92
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2016 Pflueger® Medalist Fly Reel

Quote Originally Posted by onemississipp View Post
    Ed, I'm thinking modern glass and modern medalist would make a great combo. The reel would match well to the echo I think.
    I don't know much about the new reel, but with a 4wt, as long as it balanced well, I would be in a agreement with you. Like I said, my friend swears by them. But just to be honest, he has had the same medalist reel paired on a St. Croix 8wt for the better part of 15 years or so, maybe more.

I'm certainly not judging him. I love him to death and he looks like a Hobo who just stepped off the train, but he has a lot more on the stream knowledge than I do, and still catches a lot more fish than me. It's hard sometimes eating humble pie.

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
    Great Post! I'm IN!

If you're in your 60's or 70's this was probably your first fly reel; things are INDUSTRUCTABLE! Well, I did lay one of my rods down (on the ground as I was taking my waders off), behind the car, drove over the poor thing. Didn't do the rod any good either.

Next really stupid thing was putting the rod/reel on top of the car .... one guess ... ya, I forgot. Hear the 'scraaaaaape' and AH ZNGKJEA; Guy behind me couldn't react fast enough.
    I'm still what some would call a spring chicken at 43. Although, I'm a true testament that it's not just the age, it's the mileage.
    --Ed

It is worth noting that Albright's President (not owner) was Jim Murphy, formerly the founder of Redington (which ultimately was purchased briefly by Orvis and latter by Farbank, owner of Sage and RIO). Murphy was a seminal pioneer in Korean sourcing of quality rods and reels. While with Albright, Murphy brought us Korean-built EXS rods, great light weight, crisp action rods from the same 2nd generation rod shop source that, after becoming President of Hardy North America, latter fabricated Zenith and now the new Hardy's. Murphy learned that Korean aircraft grade aluminum bar stock of Korean make was a superior product and that same insistence for perfection extended to the best Korean machine shops which produced reels for him like the Tempest and the GPX. Tempests are still available from Sealevel. These machined reels were made by the shop that currently makes reels like the Orvis Mirage, Loop, Sage reels and, of course, Hardy's current performance type reels including the exceptional Fortuna X. Under Pure's ownership, Hardy reels continue to be built in limited editions in Alnwick, England and South Korea but lower end designs such as the Greys are built under other Pure owned brand names across the Yellow Sea in Chinese mass production facilities like this "Pflueger" and other hybridized products. Not the Chinese products which Murphy found largely sub-standard but a lot of our contemporary respected reels from Korea we owe to Murphy's exploration and development skills.

Tempest, a modestly priced competitor to much higher end disc drag reels:

GPX, an inexpensive, about $150 I recall, good looking reel with above average performance:

3. Likes onemississipp, hairwing530, weiliwen liked this post

Thanks for the information..very informative
    Dustin

Quote Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
    Sure does look like a 'dead ringer' doesn't it?

fae
    Seeing as how Pure Fishing now owns both Greys and Pflueger, it can't be coincidence.

I believe I have located a new medalist for $79.00 waiting for them to determine what size it is!

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

These seem a bit heavy, looking at the site....
    Dustin

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    I am confident I could take an old mid size Medalist and crush this new $140 "Pflueger" flat and it would not be impacted at all...get a scratch?..well, every Medalist I have in storage somewhere is scratched already. Also a mid size Medalist of yore has a spring loaded polymer break shoe that actually generated drag pressure, not a mere spring and pawl, click check. I know, I know, Pure likes to buy grand brand names, build not necessarily related products in "Asia" and market them, in this case, as improved retro cool. I would simply call it (a la Sienfeld), "Fake, fake and faker".
    Gotta agree with S&S on this one. The 2016 "Medalist" looks a little like a Medalist -- but it's not made like one and doesn't have the medalist drag system.

I have an Akron OH 1495 purchased sometime in the mid sixties. It's in fab shape, only a few scratches. Like S&S, I wouldn't put this reel with a modern lightweight graphite rod -- but it's perfect for the fiberglass rod of my youth. I'm thinking of going to onepfoot.com and buying a modern reel foot made specifically for Medalist reels -- this makes a classic medalist fit on modern reel seats.

There's a place for moderately priced light weight reels that will match up well with today's lightweight rods. However, I think it would be better if they had just built such a reel and put their own name on it rather than create a reel with the Medalist name that merely bears a resemblance to a Medalist in outward appearance. I would contrast this to the Orvis CFO being made by Abel. The Abel-made CFO has some updates, but in design, function, and appearance it is still a CFO. To my thinking, without a bullet proof design, and the fiberglass block spring drag, this new Medalist is not a true Medalist.
    "Sometimes the least important thing about fishing is fishing." --Roderick Haig-Brown

8. Likes rockriver, onemississipp liked this post

The 1492 and 1492 1/2, were click and pawl.....it seems pretty difficult to find a "new" click and pawl for close to $100.

There are plenty of offerings in disc drags...but is one needed on a 3-4wt? Mine does not....being picky I guess...but if I were to put a "real" medalist on a 4wt echo glass, I would think the 1492 would fit the bill...but then it's not a "real" medalist by many people's standards.

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

They could have just stamped Hardy on it....

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 PM ----------

Look toward the Duchess, for an example of the drag system...but not the price, starts at $399.00
    Dustin

The Pflueger brand recycled reel names nearly as often as "John Smith" has checked into a motel

There were half a dozen different Medalist spinning reels and double that for Trions
    The Supreme fly reels... There were at least 2 Supreme fly reel styles that were completely different from each other and that's not even mentioning the many casting and spinning reels with the same Supreme name too.

That said,
    The Medalist name as a fly reel should have been retired or extended as the classic that it is.
    The Medalist "classic" is the single most popular fly reel ever and it should be remembered as such.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by onemississipp View Post
    The 1492 and 1492 1/2, were click and pawl.....it seems pretty difficult to find a "new" click and pawl for close to $100.
    Your point is well taken. The genuine Medalists didn't have the spring & block drag in the smallest sizes.

I am just saying that it doesn't look like the new "Medalist" lives up to the original classic Pflueger Medalist reels manufactured between 1930 and 1979. As has been noted, those reels were affordable, bulletproof, and in the larger sizes, came with a remarkable drag (for the money). This reel looks like it has been designed to resemble the original Medalist in cosmetics, as a tool to sell reels . . . not to actually bring the classic Pfleuger Medalist reel back to life.

However, if you like this new reel and it fills a need for you in a price range that's right for you, go for it. I am not saying that this reel may not have its uses, or that it might not be a good reel within its price-range -- or even a very good reel in its price range. My concern more is that those who would want a reel like the original Medalist shouldn't be misled by the name on this reel.
    "Sometimes the least important thing about fishing is fishing." --Roderick Haig-Brown

12. Likes onemississipp liked this post

Agreed! An informed buyer is a happy buyer! Good discussion as always fellas...

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

Just placed my order, for the 3/4wt reel....
    Dustin

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast