Solitude Reel ?

Hirdy

Reaction score
I have been using them for about 5 years now. I love the reels and have found the company very easy to communicate with. I simply don't understand why the reels are not more popular in the US.

The reels are beautifully built, anodising is second to none and the drag is the smoothest you'll find on any reel.

Some people will find fault with the facts that they have small arbours and are absolutely silent. Both of these are a plus in my book (the small abour means I can fit a heap of backing on the reels.)

If I had any gripes, it would be with the tendency of the reel to self-retrieve while I'm casting. The bearings are very smooth and the spool will freely rotate while false casting. I routinely pull about 50cm off the spool after (say) 3 or 4 long casts these days - not a bad thing anyway because it means I'm ensuring the line is not wrapped around the fighting butt or reel, just in case the unlikely happens and I hook a fish! :)

The plus side of that gripe is that I can "tap" the spool to very quickly retrieve line. This is much much faster than winding it on.

More on the drags: on the size 2 and 3 reels, there is a very long windup to full drag pressure. The knob has to be rotated maybe 4 full revolutions before the ultimate drag is achieved and even then, it really only ramps up in the last half turn. They did this on purpose because these are the trout reels and they sought very fine adjustment "increments" for their drags. It works well for that purpose. On the size 4 and 5 reels, it's about 1.5 turns from nothing to full on, and full on is 17lb with a full spool of backing. These drags are the smoothest I've got, even smoother than the Mako 9550.

(BTW, the anodising is exactly the same on both the Mako and the Solitudes. The craftsmanship is also the same, since the Edco guys do much of the machining for Mako. Google their addresses and you'll see why ... The designs are very different, but I see my Solitudes as "Mini Mako" reels.)

I've got the full set of black reels and a couple of gold-anodised SR3 reels. I'd say I'm a fan-boy. :D

Cheers,
Graeme

eastfly66

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I've been doing a little digging around, it appears the Harris company was bought out by the new guys in Washington (skagit County). I'm interested , the black it type III anodizing and the prices are quite reasonable. Classic look and seem like quality.

Do you have the #2 ? If you own one I guess I can be confident a MED 5 will fit :)

Solitude 2 - Solitude Reels - Fly Fishing Reels Made in the USA

The give the diameter as:

"Spool diameter (inner flange): 2.77”

Seems a tad small but not much different than the Abel PT.5 ?

Hirdy

Reaction score
I've got the SR2 but I only use it as a 4wt reel. I use the SR3 for 5 and 6wt lines.

It would hold a MED5 but with reduced backing (I use GSP). It might be a bit small for a 5wt. Don't know. Certainly it'll stand up to plenty of abuse. :cool:

bwf

Reaction score
Their website blog was last updated in 2013, same with news. This is the old Harris reel but to be honest they have been off the scene for some time. So are they still making Solitude reels?

eastfly66

Reaction score
Their website blog was last updated in 2013, same with news. This is the old Harris reel but to be honest they have been off the scene for some time. So are they still making Solitude reels?
Good question and nice detective work :) maybe I'll make a call

mylobass

Reaction score
You ought to call and find out, its simply a phone call..........
I don't find the same troubles as the gentleman from Australia. Mine is exceptionally smooth but not to the point that it acts on its own. I got the "mid arbor" and while it isnt the same as the boutique brands as far as arbor size goes, it is completely sufficient.

mike_r

Reaction score
I am interested in these reels as they meet all of MY fly reel criteria except in one area, weight. I am concerned that a 6.2 oz SR2 or 6.9 oz SR3 might make casting a 3.0 oz 9' 5 wt a bit cumbersome. My current Bauer feels too light at 4.6oz yet the jump into the 6oz range seems extreme. Sure wish I could demo these reels! Looking for a "lifetime" reel for
My rod-of-a lifetime Scott Radian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hirdy

Reaction score
I am concerned that a 6.2 oz SR2 or 6.9 oz SR3 might make casting a 3.0 oz 9' 5 wt a bit cumbersome. My current Bauer feels too light at 4.6oz yet the jump into the 6oz range seems extreme.
To see if you can live with it, try taping some lead to the rod near the reel seat which will bring the apparent weight of the reel up to 6.9oz. (I'm using mine on any rod I like and don't notice a problem with "balance".)

Cheers,
Graeme

mike_r

Reaction score
Graeme, I am curious as to what the outer diameter of the spool is on the SR3? Their listing of "inner flange" is 3.05 inches. Just wonder about OD's on these reels.

Hirdy

Reaction score
Graeme, I am curious as to what the outer diameter of the spool is on the SR3? Their listing of "inner flange" is 3.05 inches. Just wonder about OD's on these reels.
Hi Mike,

87.6mm is what I measure the spool at. The frame measured across the drag knob at the back is 83.5mm.

Cheers,
Graeme

mike_r

Reaction score
Graeme,

Thank you for taking the time to make those measurements! I am trying to get a sense of proportion. I am leaning toward the SR2 for the 905 Radian. Tried one of my lighter 8wt reels at 6.1oz (dry weight) plus line/backing,and the balance point static was right where I wanted it to be: in the center of the grip swell. The 2 weighs in at 6.2 oz dry. Should be perfect. I am figuring the OD on that reel to be close to 3 3/16”. SR 3 converts to 3 7/16” based on 87.6mm. The line I’ll be running is an SA Mastery Expert Distance Comp (125’) which typically occupies the same reel volume as a typical 90’ DT5. Should be good on the SR2!

Thanks again!

Mike

Last edited:

Hirdy

Reaction score
No problems Mike.

I like more backing capacity since there is always the chance of hooking a very large fish in the estuaries I fish in, but so far, that hasn't happened. :(

Cheers,
Graeme

mikew1959

Reaction score
I’ve been eyeballing those reels for a long time
Wrote them an email the other day and they replied back that they are still in business but the only dealer for them is Confluence Fly Shop in Bellingham.

mike_r

Reaction score
I have not contacted them yet but it appears you can buy directly from the manufacturer? Do they not keep any reels in inventory?

mike_r

Reaction score
Spoke with Linda at Solitude reels. The parent company, Edco has been bought out and has not resumed production of the reels. They may or may not continue manufacturing the reels in the future. They still have a bit of inventory, and will honor any warranty issues as it stands. You can purchase Solitude reels on their website or over the phone.

mike_r

Reaction score
I received a Black Solitude 3 as a birthday gift and couldn’t be more pleased with all aspects of the reel. It certainly is a touch heavy at 6.9oz (empty) by today’s standards but I don’t really notice the heft when Fishing it on my Sage XP 690-4. The finish on this reel is better than some Abels I have handled. The drag is ultra smooth, and the reel is Completely silent! Comes with a nicely executed neoprene pouch that actually fits the reel with room to apply mounted to your rod. The 3 is 3 7/16” across the diameter of the spool face. Got 150yds of 20# dacron SA backing with a Rio Gold WF6F line and still had a comfortable (approx 1/4”) gap between the spooled
Line and the frame all around.

No more word on if EDCO will continue to produce these reels. Really thinking about acquiring a SR2 for a 4 or 5 weight rod soon before they are all gone! Darn fine fly reel!

mylobass

Reaction score
Spoke with Linda at Solitude reels. The parent company, Edco has been bought out and has not resumed production of the reels. They may or may not continue manufacturing the reels in the future. They still have a bit of inventory, and will honor any warranty issues as it stands. You can purchase Solitude reels on their website or over the phone.
Well Solitude seems to be alive and well. Today my new Solitude SR4 and extra spool arrived. I don't think I've ever been happier. Its finish and feel far surpass my Nautilus reels. Communicating with them couldn't be easier and it arrived in 2 days across country. If something has happened to the ownership of the company, it seems only a positive. I dealt with 'Mark'. The invoice was from Mako Reels. I few minutes research showed Mark is an owner at Mako. Solitude was/is doing machining and finish work for Mako, apparently for years. So whatever has happened internally, it doesn't seem to be affecting the availability of Solitude reels.

Hirdy

Reaction score
Last week I fought a +30kg GT to a stand-still with my SR5. Came very close to landing it but it found a rock after 15 minutes. Still loving all 6 of mine.

Cheers,
Graeme