Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Cabela's SLA reel

1. Default Cabela's SLA reel

I was wondering if anybody had any experience with these reels? They got a good review in Field and Stream, but I was looking for some real world comments or opinions.

Jeff

2. Default Re: Cabela's SLA reel

Probably a little bit too new for anyone to have an opinion but I did want to mention that Field and Stream is hardly an independent source when it comes to an unbiased review. Cabelas provides a huge chunk of their advertising revenue. Simply read the SLV reviews on Cabelas own site to get a better idea (currently 3/5 stars from 29 reviewers).

For the price, I would stay away from it - just based on the customer reviews.

3. Default Re: Cabela's SLA reel

I have several Cabela's reels and I like them very much. They're a good bang for the buck. However, it seems - and I might be wrong - cabela's often changes their reel designs; so if if you think you might want an extra spool I would get one when you order the reel.

Randy

Default Re: Cabela's SLA reel

Junk!! the drags suck and they do not hold up in salt at all save your money and get something better. You do not say what you will be using it for or what size. the drags on the SLA's have a bad rep for locking up I fish mostly salt and a good drag is a must. You can find a much better reel for the same price. Try searching the site reels have been reviewed alot on here and you will find very useful info.
    Jim

5. Default Re: Cabela's SLA reel

Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post
    Junk!! the drags suck and they do not hold up in salt at all save your money and get something better. You do not say what you will be using it for or what size. the drags on the SLA's have a bad rep for locking up I fish mostly salt and a good drag is a must. You can find a much better reel for the same price. Try searching the site reels have been reviewed alot on here and you will find very useful info.
    Jim
    I agree with this. I heard a lot of people say that the drag is junk and in the end that is what you should be most concerned about when buying a reel. I have heard that Cabelas is reworking their drag on the reel after multiple complaints. Check the customer reviews online and take them for what they are worth but a lot of people complain about the drag.

I bought a 4wt from Cabelas.com in the bargain cave three weeks ago for $50. From all the reviews I've read it shouldn't have any problems as I'm targeting trout from 1oz to a few pounds. I thought for $50 I couldn't go wrong, keeping in mind Cabelas return/exchange policy.

Clint

I think they are ****. They look great though i must say. The drags are worthless. I burned one up on small mouth in just a couple of outings. They are a foreign copy of a popular design. I assume patent infringement is why they are discontinued. I had purchased 5 when the started selling them at deep discounts, but after the problems with my first i returned them all and replaced them with pflueger medalists. Im very happy i did as these are indestructible!
    The best laid plans of mice and men...