Thoughts on Nautilus FWX .

geordie41

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting the FWX 5/6# to go on a Scott Radian 5# any thoughts on the combo ? I don't like buying without being able to actually have the reel in my hand alas this is not possible . Looking forward to any replies fellas .

dennyk

Reaction score
scoutm, glad you are happy with my former FWX. Very good reels for sure.

The only reason I parted with it was to finance my Hatch 5+.

Denny

coho52

Reaction score
Nautilus makes great reels; they are however very light in both the FWX and X series. I agree that for a 5/6 rod at least for the 9 foot and up models, the FWX 7/8 is a better choice.

missin44

Reaction score
I have a FWX 3/4 on my 4wt, I really like it. Looks good, light, never and issue. The only negative with Nautilus, and this is fairly consistent, is their support. Takes a while to fill and order, takes time for repairs that sort of thing, all time related issues. However never an issue in quality or refusal to honor warranty, in that regard they are outstanding.

triggw

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting the FWX 5/6# to go on a Scott Radian 5# any thoughts on the combo ? I don't like buying without being able to actually have the reel in my hand alas this is not possible . Looking forward to any replies fellas .
Have you found someplace that still has some?

omas

Reaction score
I know that it is not the exact setup, but I used a 905 Radian with a Nautilus X reel xm (5&6 wt) for a couple of days of fishing, and thought that it balanced the rod very nicely. I think that the X-reel xm and the FWX 5/6 are very close in weight.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I like Nautilus reels a lot and have an FWX 7/8 mounted on my Sage ONE 9'/#5. I had originally bought the 5/6 for that rod but it was too light and found a home on my Loomis Streamdance GLX 8 1/2'/#4. Xm, the new and genuinely improved replacement for FWX is perfect on my Sage X 8 1/2'/#5.

myt1

Reaction score
I really didn't like my FWX that much.

I ended up exchanging mine for a Galvin Torque. I've had no issues with the Galvin.

The problem I had with the FWX was with the drag noise; it was really sporadic, sometimes it was there and sometimes it disappeared altogether.

I may have heard that there was a fix for this, involving replacing a small spring, but I never really looked into that.

It also appears the noise producing mechanism on the X reels is similar to that on the FWX, and based on that I've been gun shy to give the X's a try.

JW51

Reaction score
I really didn't like my FWX that much.

I ended up exchanging mine for a Galvin Torque. I've had no issues with the Galvin.

The problem I had with the FWX was with the drag noise; it was really sporadic, sometimes it was there and sometimes it disappeared altogether.

I may have heard that there was a fix for this, involving replacing a small spring, but I never really looked into that.

It also appears the noise producing mechanism on the X reels is similar to that on the FWX, and based on that I've been gun shy to give the X's a try.
Thanks for this post; LLBean carries Nautilus, and there is a 20% off sale this weekend if you use a Bean's card but click is very important to me.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Of course clicking sounds which are functional in a Hardy style spring and pawl reel are a non functional aesthetic add-on in most disc-drag reels. While I find my new X a better reel than my two existing FWXs, I find them a little better than my Galvan Torque (which I also like a lot) except for one thing...the T-6 has very good subdued clicking sound.