Ross Evolution R

czando

Reaction score
After using this reel for this season I have to say it is a great reel. I have the 5/6 and balances the Asquith perfectly.

Best part is the weight is perfect with nice large arbor design

Reel handle is a nice grainy material

I like the drag knob design, drag is smooth but I don't like the sound and still like Bauer and galvan drag better but not an issue

Really nice stuff

I know I like it because I never think about it when I am using it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

guidegun

Reaction score
I have a Evo R 7/8 and it balances my Radian 906 great.

It's a great reel. I love the drag wheel it's so easy and convenient to just reach over and palm the wheel for more or less drag. It's super smooth and crisp.

They just came out with a Evo R Salt edition as well. Those look interesting too.

It's a great time to be a consumer with endless lists of great gear available.

amears

Reaction score
I have a 4/5 on my G. Loomis NRX LP and a 5/6 on my Sage 6 wt. I really like both.

iracmiller

Reaction score
Pocono Pines Pa near the Brodhead/Bushkill/Lackawa
I also have the Evo R 5/6 on my 590 Asquith. Wonderful reel and matches the Asquith perfectly. Beautifully machined and looks great. I really love the frame integrated drag wheel. I like it so much, I'm thinking about a spare spool so I can use it on my Sky 6wt with a sink tip line as a streamer rig on the West Branch/Main Stem of the Delaware.

geoffreystorm

Reaction score
I'm seeing a bunch of Evolution R's coming out on bid sites at severely reduced prices ($280-300). All appear to come without box/tags/warranty card, and most come out of the Colorado area (where I'm at).

Anybody have any indication for why? I wouldn't expect there to be a high likelihood of fake Ross Reels out there.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I'm seeing a bunch of Evolution R's coming out on bid sites at severely reduced prices ($280-300). All appear to come without box/tags/warranty card, and most come out of the Colorado area (where I'm at).

Anybody have any indication for why? I wouldn't expect there to be a high likelihood of fake Ross Reels out there.
Well, Ross too is in Colorado. Could it be they are moving prototype or demo reels? One might call them directly and ask.

I own a few original Ross Reels which are good...but not like this post Abel sisterhood Ross. When I saw this R for the first time this past winter at Somerset I thought, wow, this reel is a contender. Comparing it to the Bauer and Galvan fine reels as above, I consider the Evo R to be better designed, engineered and even built. I will give the Torque the nod in sound tone though but not drag or spool retention mechanism. Bauer with the star drag on the wrong side of the reel is the opposite of smart design not to mention it width compared to the Evo's narrowness. I am sorry to hear Jon Bauer will no longer be building his namesake reel under its new ownership, however. Honestly it is Hatch that is the reel that most relates to this new Ross in both design elements and build quality. This is praise indeed as Hatch is first class. I have a Hatch 4+ in my NRX#5 and 4/5 Evo R on my Sage ONE 8 1/2'/#4 so both are in my front line kit. Two great reels. And, yes, the Evo R Salt is on my to check out list, absolutely.

geoffreystorm

Reaction score
Agreed - the prototype idea is one worth looking into. I've come across numerous R's being sold at around that price, and with the recent rollout, it felt odd. Having worked in a shop in a past life, I know that we'd sell guide reels that hadn't been broken out that season, but we'd typically market them on eBay or other outlets under our name. These appear to be coming out of pawns/discount shops.

Ross Evolution R Fly Reel - 7/8wt - New/Unfished - Platinum Finish | eBay

(*Note: I have no affiliation with the above link - I'm new on the forum, and am not trying to break any rules by posting an eBay link. Merely trying to get the forum's opinion on something I found peculiar).

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

Agreed on Ross - I've been a disciple for years, pick up an old Colorado 0/1 smallie any time I come across one. "Montrose-Abel Ross" is different, but I've nonetheless remained loyal. Hope that the brand doesn't move towards Abel-level prices. These are fishing tools, after all.

ryc72

Reaction score
I'm gonna guess that all of these new high end rods and reels that show up on eBay are from guides and others related to the fly fishing business that get huge discounts or freebies but already have too much equipment and would rather have the cash. I've fished with several guides that have all offered to get stuff from the major companies for me at a pretty steep discount. I don't have any proof of this, just me speculating.

geoffreystorm

Reaction score
I can certainly attest to that. My guide deals are long gone now, but it was signiffficant off of retail. Typically you make a pledge not to sell the new, unfished equipment at a profit, however. Oh well - their secret is safe with me.

I'm gonna guess that all of these new high end rods and reels that show up on eBay are from guides and others related to the fly fishing business that get huge discounts or freebies but already have too much equipment and would rather have the cash. I've fished with several guides that have all offered to get stuff from the major companies for me at a pretty steep discount. I don't have any proof of this, just me speculating.

callihan_44

Reaction score
I was looking at this reel on ebay and also noticed a few listings that stated no box, case or warranty card and reduced pricing...I like the looks of this reel and want to try the drag system. I have a colorado LT and love it but want the evolution for a 5 weight rod

JW51

Reaction score
It's true, the discounts are amazing. Friend of mine just got a Sage X for $464 shipped from a guide friend. I really wonder how Sage and other suppliers feel about this?

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I really wonder how Sage and other suppliers feel about this?
I imagine they feel taken unfair advantage of. Sage and others made their mark in part by distributing to guides and journalists rods they believe in and understanding the marketing power of your guide exposing you to a great new rod. We all like a bargain on something we would love to have but is expensive but I think if Sage (and the rest) learned of a guide assisting his clients in this way at Sage's expense, he would loose his pro privileges fast. They would consider it a breach of eddicate and their pro agreement and I agree.