The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 08-16-2017, 12:28 AM

dynaflow has a spectacular aura aboutdynaflow has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 12wt reel for Christmas Island

At the risk of causing a furore I can't recommend Nautilus as a suitable GT reel due to a couple of recent absolute drag failures on brand new ones at Aana atoll.Let's hear from you if you've had a similar experience,it is a Forum after all.There's no real short cuts with GT reels,and the only absolute bargain I can think of is Redington's Behemoth.I use a 9/10 on my 11wt.and honestly think it would be fine on a 12wt.as it has plenty of backing capacity (300yds.x50lb.braid+a Rio GT line) and a 30lb.drag...but get the 11/12 if you must.Apart from that you've got ample time to find a good pre-loved Abel or Tibor (not the 11/12 Signature) or buy a Gen1 Hatch 11+on sale atm.Another reel that's caught my eye is Lamson's new sealed drag offering.
I tried to find it online but no luck.
Cheers
Old 08-16-2017, 01:18 AM

camelbrass will become famous soon enough

They all break, some more readily than others though. It doesn't mean they're not suitable though but like Bill said, if I couldn't take a back up I'd only take a draw bar reel.

I know the guys in one of the big Seychelles charters carry a whole heap of Hatch drags as back up. I've personally had an Abel QC 9/10's drag give up the ghost on a flat (admittedly after 30+big bonefish on the day) and have seen an Abel Super grind to a halt because somebody didn't screw one of the anti-reverse dogs (or is it a pawl?) down properly. The Nautilus's I've tried in GT sizes haven't had enough drag IMHO.

I've not seen the Behemoth so can't comment on it but the cast thing would make me uncomfortable on a big fish.

Regards,

Trevor

Last edited by camelbrass; 08-16-2017 at 02:58 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:49 AM

It's true,some reels are better than others,and in my experience mostly fail due to operator error.My ancient Tibor Everglades is probably good for a thousand Bonefish and functions as good as the day I bought it all those years ago.It's only been back to Tibor once for a factory service.As for the Redington Behemoth,these reels have the runs on the board and frankly that's quite an achievement for a so-called machined reel,so if money is an issue and/or you only fish for GT's once a year this is a no-brainer bargain
Cheers
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks denver1911 thanked for this post
Old 08-16-2017, 08:06 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

wjc, dynaflow and camalbrass are three of our Forum contributors that fish for truly big, powerful oceanic fish. Tuna, tarpon and trevally put strains on tackle that test it to the limit in ways that trout never and even bonefish and stripped bass seldom do. When maximum performance and reliability are at a premium in pursuit of the most powerful fly rod species and particularly when pursued in destinations where spare tackle is unavailable, the advice of these men is valuable. Any rod, reel, line but hopefully not our knots can fail so rule one is have a back-up. Importantly, these contributors are sharing their hard-core experience revealing that but a handful of designs/manufacturers can contend at the ultimate limits of fly fishing. It is, of course, each of our responsibility to be certain that our reels are in top condition and screwed together as they should be, lubed as appropriate and soundly rigged. Avoid dunking your reels in salt, sand and marle and wash them down at the end of each day anyway.

More broadly, something important to glean from this discussion is the trickle down effect of how developing reels that can sustain the rigors of 12-weight, big game fly fishing influence reel design and construction for 8-weight and 4-weight outfits. A Montana spring creek trout is not a trevally but you want your reel to perform flawlessly anyway. Once I sat on a soft tall grass bank on a favorite little spring creek. I had a band new, gold anodized, innovative sample reel from a Big Name. But it generated some odd sounds so I opened it up to see if anything was amiss. "Sprong", itty bitty parts and tiny springs flew out of the reel into the grass around me. My pard said, "Lets look carefully to see if we can collect them". I said, "Forget it, I'm going back to the truck to get a tried and true reel, I'll report this to ____ when I get home".
Old 08-16-2017, 09:20 AM

S and S, thank you for that glowing reference I am extremely flattered, more so because it comes from somebody who's opinions I respect, but I have to point out that I feel that I'm something of a fraud.

I'm incredibly lucky to have what I consider to be some of the best saltwater flyfishing in the world on my doorstep, that gives me the unfair advantage of being able to throw a 9 or 10wt in anger at least once a week. Probably once a month and maybe even more often in the middle of the season I only have to travel a short distance by car and my 12wt outfit gets a work out on some bigger, faster fare. I have Mauritius, Seychelles and Sudan within a 6 hour flight and get the call if a last minute spot comes up. In other words, I get lots of opportunity to hook fish that tests gear.

The other important element to 'experience' in my case is the guys I get to fish with. I'm 60 and have been doing this since the 80s and I watch everyone I fish with, old and young...there's some incredibly talented, naturally gifted young guys and girls in this sport. I look to pick up something from each of them, try it and, if it fits, make it mine. Same with gear, I look at the guys I respect and look at what they use and, in this sort of fishing, there's a common theme and that's all I'm really passing on in the forum. My opinions are really only a reflection of the sum of all that.

Nice to be complimented though.

Regards,

Trevor
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes duker liked this post
Old 08-16-2017, 07:37 PM

SweetandSalt,thank you for your eloquent reply Sir,but you can't put me in the same salubrious company as those other gentlemen!My only intent here is to recommend a suitable GT reel as that's the question put to the Forum,and certainly not to start some kind of pissing contest.Others have mentioned the top makers that have the runs on the board and I concur with their choices,but I also wanted to suggest something more affordable that would still get the job done,as many only get the opportunity to fish for GT's once or twice a year....thus the Redington Behemoth recommendation.This reel has proven itself on multiple Sailfish in Rompin(Malaysia) and GT's on Kiritimati.
Cheers
Likes sweetandsalt liked this post
Old 08-17-2017, 06:58 AM

denver1911 is a splendid one to beholddenver1911 is a splendid one to beholddenver1911 is a splendid one to beholddenver1911 is a splendid one to beholddenver1911 is a splendid one to beholddenver1911 is a splendid one to behold

Thank you all for your input. Those that have significant first and second hand experience with the big fish, I am grateful you shared your expertise.

Here's where I am at with this:

1. Signed up for a trip to Ikari House on Kiritimati in May with Reds Fly Shop.

2. I have time to get this sorted out and will have more questions (boots and rod come to mind, although I'm getting a 12wt Helios 3 with my February Orvis trip to Belize).

3. I am afraid of the draw bar reels and lean to sealed drags. Why? I am hard on gear. This will be dunked in the brine, sat on the marl, dropped on the beach, etc. I just know this about myself and worry that grit and sand will get in it and render it ineffective. A sealed system just sounds better and would likely make me feel more confident. Am I wrong? Could be. I have no experience with these reels. My experience is limited to Galvan Torque (8wt) and Orvis Mirage (10wt).

4. I am leaning toward Hatch. Why? Sealed drag and they can be found for a good price with the clearance events going on. Lookong at the 9+ mid-arbor. The mid-arbor 9 cost less than the 11+ large arbor, is lighter in weight, and still holds 275 yards of backing w/ a 12wt line. Is this a reasonable approach?

5. Redington Behemoth? Seriously? A $129 reel capable for a trip like this? Sounds too good to be true. But at that price, I may take one as backup.

6. Cost: To be clear, I am a working empty-nester. I can afford this trip and everything that goes with it. I anticipate going back yearly or maybe every other year for a while. This rig can also be used for tarpon (closer to home). If I can afford the $3000/week lodging/food/guiding, the $2000 in air transport, and the gear to go, I won't cry over a few Benjamins. So, sure I want to put my money to good use (bang for the buck), but won't sacrifice the one GT I "might" get on the reel due to purchasing inferior gear. If I can fish a clearance Hatch 9+ for $600 with confidence, then I don't need an Abel SDS for $1100. Make sense?

Again, many many thanks for sharing your expertise and continued feedback on my comments above will be valued by me and also future forum readers in their endeavors.
Likes sweetandsalt liked this post
Old 08-17-2017, 07:48 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

It is polite for fly fishers to eschew expertise. A Lefty quote on this goes like, "An expert fly fisherman is one more than 50 miles from home with a slide show". However, and this includes me, of the several thousand members of the NAFF Forum, only a handful that I am aware of have caught a Giant Trevally. I hope to change this for myself in the not distant future but for now, based on my experiences with big saltwater species on the Atlantic side of our planet, my opinion is a Hatch is a great reel (and I agree with the capacity adding mid-arbor option). The Galvan has a very good drag but it is not sealed. The draw-bars, recommended by camelbrass and many others can easily be rinsed and re-lubricated (if necessary) if contaminated with grit and tend to be the most durable and reliable off all big game reels (Abel Super, Tibor, Islander). I have embraced sealed drags and successfully fish Hatch, Hardy Fortuna, Nautilus NV-G, Allen Atlas and others, including some mid-priced but very good reels like TFO's not-so-well-known, like the Hardy and 1st. gen. Orvis Mirage, Korean built Atoll. There are more choices now than ever before and as always in all fly fishing; buy the best you can afford and go fish it.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:20 AM

steveid will become famous soon enough

Enjoy the trips, Denver! For what it's worth, the guy I lean on for advice at my local shop recommended the Hatch reels. He mostly fishes for tarpon when he is on the salt. But, I imagine a 100 pound tarpon is a pretty good test of a reel.

I own a Behemoth in 5-6 weight, and think it's a very nice reel for the money. My confidant also recommended it as a low-cost back-up option for tarpon on a 10 weight.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:18 AM

Strangely enough, one of the big reasons I use Abels on the flats is precisely because I can immerse them in salt water and drop them in the sand. it all goes in much easier than a sealed drag reel but also comes out much easier as well.

If it badly gets clogged up I can just take the spool off and dunk the whole assembly while I'm still fishing. When I get back to camp, a flush in fresh water and a bit of grease and good to go.

If you choose to go that direction, enjoy the Hatch, maybe my second favourite reel. The 9+ Mid arbor with a 12wt is a very reasonable approach, particularly if you're doing quite a bit of casting. I've seen that exact combination used to great effect

Regards,

Trevor

Last edited by camelbrass; 08-17-2017 at 09:40 AM.