The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 08-24-2017, 10:50 PM

dynaflow has a spectacular aura aboutdynaflow has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 12wt reel for Christmas Island

OK,I'll bite.Are you really familiar with the Redington Behemoth reel? I believe that your criticism of the spool design causing "line pileup" is wide of the mark.I've caught some respectable GT's on mine without the problem you mention occurring.I also believe that you pay for what you get in big serious reels for big serious fish,and IMHO the Piscifun you mention will simply blow up on your first or second big fish.....and do you seriously believe that this reel is as good as an Abel,Tibor or Hatch? How about the anodizing (or lack of it)
Old 08-25-2017, 01:57 AM

oldskewl808 is just really niceoldskewl808 is just really niceoldskewl808 is just really niceoldskewl808 is just really niceoldskewl808 is just really nice

Don't forget about Shiltons. They have been tested and proven on giant fish and they have a robust wide build that holds plenty of string.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2017, 04:51 PM

denver1911 is a name known to alldenver1911 is a name known to alldenver1911 is a name known to alldenver1911 is a name known to alldenver1911 is a name known to alldenver1911 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by timd View Post
I have a real nice Super 12 for sale. Sent you a PM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Shout out to TimD for the deal. The reel arrived and is like new inside and out! I'll see about getting a spare parts kit (drag plate, springs, what else?) and be good to go for my first trip after GTs.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes dynaflow, von behr liked this post
Old 08-27-2017, 02:14 AM

camelbrass will become famous soon enough

Make sure everything is sitting flush and nothing is cross threaded, particularly the screws that hold down the dogs. All screws should be stainless but it's worth looking for corrosion, particularly those that hold the reel seat and those under the drag disk that hold the spindle plate. if in doubt replace.

Spare springs (although there's 4 and with the two dogs there's a whole redundant system built in), drag plate (I carry one but I've never had to replace it), a spare bearing (not sure of the size) and one of those little O rings for between the drag plate and the inside bearing. A small amount of marine grease, machine oil and neats foot oil and a small screwdriver. When you're on the flats pack a couple of small coins in case you need to take the spool off and you're covered. If you lose the nut on the drag knob don't worry, just make sure you don't fully back the drag off and replace it when you get home. The reel functions fine without it

Enjoy.

Regards,

Trevor
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks denver1911 thanked for this post
Likes von behr liked this post
Old 08-27-2017, 10:08 AM

timd is a glorious beacon of lighttimd is a glorious beacon of lighttimd is a glorious beacon of lighttimd is a glorious beacon of lighttimd is a glorious beacon of light

I have fished Abels since 1992 and after selling a few still have 8 or 9 that I still use occasionally. The only part I have ever replaced is the nut that holds the drag knob on and only because I dropped them and couldn't find them. My salt water reels still look like new after all these years because of the outstanding anodizing. A truly bomb proof piece of craftsmanship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes camelbrass, von behr liked this post