Abel 7/8N Ported vs. Solid for Saltwater (Reds)

sneltyr

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to pick up an Abel 7/8N to accompany my big game 3N. I'm assuming there is an advantage to the solid while boating or wading?

Just checking but it seems it would keep the cork cleaner?

Thanks!

camelbrass

Reaction score
Most of my Abels are ported. Salt water and sand get in anyway, ported or non ported. It comes out easier if it's ported particularly if all you can do is rinse it down, which is all mine get 99% of the time. Backing dries off quicker as well if it's ported.

Abels Super Series reels are meant for the salt. A thorough rinse after fishing with freshwater under the faucet, leave it in a well ventilated place to dry and it's good to go again. Make sure you crank your drag down before rinsing and once the reel starts to dry loosen it off. It keeps the oil in the cork

Regards,

Trevor

Last edited:

von behr

Reaction score
One thing you'll find is an advantage with the solid frame is that it will cost less than the ported model. I just picked up a solid frame Super 6N brand new for less than $400. Do some searching around the web and you'll find some good deals right now on the reel you're looking for.

I have Abels both ported and solid. The only difference is a little bit of weight. Otherwise, form and function are the same.

Cheers,

-VB