Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  94
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Default Re: Abel: The Harley Davidson of fishing reels.

YouTube this, Greggs Ducati Streetfighter S, and you can see what I prefer, however, I find it somewhat limiting to not see the merits of a HD. Big, comfortable, radios, heated grips and seats, etc. Classic American styling. It’s all very classic. When you are just cruising around on a heavenly summer evening, for pure enjoyment, what could be nicer. 35-65mph, wind in your hair, a girl in tight jeans behind you. Maybe on your way to dinner or Vegas to catch a Cirque du Soleil. Really now, what’s not to like. Now, do you want to spend 15-30k to do that? That is up to you, but all motorcycles are cool, just like all fishing poles are cool, all the reels have something to be admired, and then you just gravitate toward what you like the best.

If you don’t agree, just go out in your garage and start admiring stuff, appreciating it. An old shovel, the lawn mower, before too long you will remember how neat every thing is.

2. Likes jangles liked this post

Being a biker myself, I think the Abel reels are probably made to last much longer than a Harley without much maintenance. I do not own an Abel reel, but have owned Harley's and they are only made to last about 20,000 miles before needing some fairly pricey work to keep them on the road. %100 percent of all Harley's made are still on the road, %5 percent of them actually made it back to home.

Myt1,

I agree with your post in the most part, when i was a young man I raced a Harley on the flat track as a pro.

Then later i took up the love of fly fishing and bought Abel reels direct from Jeff at the factory, I sold so many reels for Steve Abel they actually gave me one free. Then later I became a Tarpon guy for many years and used my Abel reels to even get a "grand slam" however later in life I discovered Loreto Mexico as a fishing paradise, it was about that time I discovered my Abel had some bad habits of "eating up and jamming them self's" with the out going drag pin and springs, I complained and complained and Abel did send me some free parts. That's about the time Tibor came out with the "Signature" soon as I opened the reel and looked in, I was sold---The Tibor didn't have any springs or paws, it had a Giant "sealed" Cork drag with the QC spool remover It also came with the life time warranty unlike Abel they repaired even your old reel with new parts at no charge just a $25.00 charge for handling and postage---I don't sell reels, however if i did I would sell Tibor and still ride a Harley.

Your post was right on Sir

CB
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Likes jamesrick liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by cb3fish View Post
    Myt1,

I agree with your post in the most part, when i was a young man I raced a Harley on the flat track as a pro.

Then later i took up the love of fly fishing and bought Abel reels direct from Jeff at the factory, I sold so many reels for Steve Abel they actually gave me one free. Then later I became a Tarpon guy for many years and used my Abel reels to even get a "grand slam" however later in life I discovered Loreto Mexico as a fishing paradise, it was about that time I discovered my Abel had some bad habits of "eating up and jamming them self's" with the out going drag pin and springs, I complained and complained and Abel did send me some free parts. That's about the time Tibor came out with the "Signature" soon as I opened the reel and looked in, I was sold---The Tibor didn't have any springs or paws, it had a Giant "sealed" Cork drag with the QC spool remover It also came with the life time warranty unlike Abel they repaired even your old reel with new parts at no charge just a $25.00 charge for handling and postage---I don't sell reels, however if i did I would sell Tibor and still ride a Harley.

Your post was right on Sir

CB
    Dang, I forgot I even made that original post.

I rode my motorcycle, not a Harley, through Loreto years and years ago before I was even into fly fishing.

Returning to Loreto to fly fish is definitely on my bucket list, but I'm pretty sure you need a boat and a guide. Also, I just don't hear a lot about Loreta and I hate to take a chance on it when there are other places that are a little more of a sure thing...says the guy that got skunked fishing for redfish for three days in Galveston.

Maybe you could post a trip report of one of your Loreto Trips.
    -Rick Allen

Rick,

Are you in for a surprise. Loreto has been on fire the past 3 years and this year they are saying it might be the best yet, do to a very large holdover of bait and smaller Dorado from last year. I did post a Loreto report here , I think it was in saltwater fishing.
    I am a trip leader for a group of about 30-35 guys I don't sell trips however I can point you in the right direction for the best guides and the best rates on anything you want in Loreto---If you are interested, send me an PM and I can call you. Remember you can catch Big Dorado-Sailfish-Marlin and really good sized Roosters all day long in Loreto for about $250- per day for each guy including the boat-Captain- room and board and food...drinking is extra... best deal in saltwater fishing for actually catching fish.

PS I did post my Loreto report in Mexico fishing...send me a PM if you need more information
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Likes proheli, myt1 liked this post

This is a great thread. Thanks to all who have contributed.

I have never owned an Abel or ridden a motorcycle. I am more a black Ross Reel, trout fishing, Volvo wagon type. I think I have a dozen Ross Reels, all black, all 5 to 30 years old. Had two Volvo wagons that lasted 30 years.

My last 4 reels have been 4 Pflueger Medalists, 3 1494's and 1 1494.5, between 40 and 80 years old. I have not had them long enough to land a really big fish, but I did land a bunch of 15 inchers on Lamar R. last summer, and i nearly landed a 20 incher on a lake -- fish popped off 10' feet away, operator error. I wouldn't take 'em bonefishing but they work very well on good sized trout.

I am starting to think i might oughta go out and get a 1950's Schwinn bike. But i just remembered I gave up bikes and horses for walking about 10 years ago.

I think the Abel/Ross marriage is quite interesting, actually a bit weird. I will be fascinated to see it play out. I hope they dont start painting trout faces on the next gen Cimmarons and Evolutions.

Quote Originally Posted by el jefe View Post
    For me, it was about the artwork, and beauty, as the reel is functionally decrepit by today's standards.
    Our society is really brainwashed if folks go around thinking one fly reel is "decrepit" over another one. They are both about the most simplistic 'mini winch' as can be and still be called a fishing reel. Only a misguided belief that technology brings better at any cost, can explain this kinda thought. (I don't mean this toward the man who posted this, but in general) It's just a little winch used to capture a creature with a brain smaller than a pea. "Today's standard" is just a marketing term or a way we substantiate our own wants. Just think of that little woman in a Scottish stream waving that heavy monster of a bamboo pole with its heavy winch, catching that world record Atlantic Salmon. No thought of how her up to date technology was making it possible. Just knowing it was her mind and ability that caught the fish.

11. Likes jangles, eure liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by mylobass View Post
    Our society is really brainwashed if folks go around thinking one fly reel is "decrepit" over another one. They are both about the most simplistic 'mini winch' as can be and still be called a fishing reel. Only a misguided belief that technology brings better at any cost, can explain this kinda thought. (I don't mean this toward the man who posted this, but in general) It's just a little winch used to capture a creature with a brain smaller than a pea. "Today's standard" is just a marketing term or a way we substantiate our own wants. Just think of that little woman in a Scottish stream waving that heavy monster of a bamboo pole with its heavy winch, catching that world record Atlantic Salmon. No thought of how her up to date technology was making it possible. Just knowing it was her mind and ability that caught the fish.
    Maybe so. But put my old Orvis Madison reels next to my Abel or Ross reels, and I pick up the Abel or Ross reels every time. I’m not a collector of vintage tackle. I like it, but mainly for the beauty and history. I just passed on a virtually new, left hand Hardy Perfect for a really good price. Why? I don’t enjoy fishing with click drags. To each his own. This is what makes fly fishing great — it has a big tent.

………..…………..
    Last edited by jangles; 03-12-2019 at 09:25 AM.
    Thread Killer

Like Redrock, I did not start fishing yesterday. I too have an Orvis Madison and Pflueger Medalists upon which it is based. I long enjoyed fishing Hardy spring-and-pawl reels and still sport a CFO upon occasion. I've fished Abels going back to their begging BG's; my newest one is an SDF 6/7 in matt graphite grey (Slate) for my NRX grey blanked #6. Sure, like an old Hardy it remans a manual, single action, straight forward device. It is though impeccably machined not cast, anodized not painted and rather than a mere over-run preventing check, it has a sealed, multi-element, stainless and carbon drag module fine tunable from over-run to unusably high pounds of drag pressure on tap. Smooth, elegant, perfectly proportioned, designed and built in Colorado to last as an heirloom. Do I need it or catch more fish because of it relative to when a Hardy Lightweight was my number one reel? No. Do I love fishing with it as a splendid sate-of-the-art that trout reels have evolved into? Yes.

W17 231 Abel SDF vs.jpg

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast