New Reel From Piscifun

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Saw this pop up on my Facebook feed. I know we have a few Piscifun fans here, so thought I would share.
The "crest" fly reel. Will start shipping end of September (they are taking preorders).
Specs say fully machined and anodized, fully sealed carbon drag. Also noticed they are including a lifetime warranty. Black and green colors only so far listed on the website.
Looks mighty handsome to me! Seems like at the price point ($94) they might be bridging the gap between the sword/blaze and Platte. Might have to get one of these to play with and review, I love all their other reels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

plecain

Reaction score
I have two Swords.

What do you make of this part of the description on their site?

"Multi-disc cork and stainless steel drag system with one-way clutch bearing provides smooth operation
Click Drag design offers accurate adjustment
FULLY SEALED CARBON-to-STAINLESS DRAG - Impervious to water, sand and grit, requiring no maintenance except for simple rinsing."

Cork or carbon fiber? Both?

nevadanstig

Reaction score
I think it will be the carbon drag from the platte with the price point, and imagine the cork part is a typo.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

pnc

Reaction score
To have one more than you did before?

Lol........ think I already have that one.

Ordered & recieved Blaze some months back. Other than this reel am not familiar with others. Pics & specs can be found. But an exploded schematic of drag no.
Imagine major differences in Blaze & up so to speak. Is in drag. Can anybody explain differences between reels other than cosmetic ?

Tia......... pc

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Lol........ think I already have that one.

Ordered & recieved Blaze some months back. Other than this reel am not familiar with others. Pics & specs can be found. But an exploded schematic of drag no.
Imagine major differences in Blaze & up so to speak. Is in drag. Can anybody explain differences between reels other than cosmetic ?

Tia......... pc
Blaze and sword are the same mechanically. They have a cork drag.
Platte has a fully sealed carbon fiber drag.
I did shoot an email to Piscifun, and they confirmed the new crest WILL BE fully sealed carbon fiber drag. The cork bit was a typo.
I have a Platte, I think it had a parts diagram, I'll see if I can dig it up for you pnc.
Edit: Amazingly, I actually had the booklet together with the box:

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Well I gave in and ordered a crest. I'll update with a review once it arrives and I get to fish it a bit.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
You 'trout people' get away with murder when it comes to reasonable reels and price tag.

Up your game to Steelhead/Salmon size ... be prepared to mortgage your first child .... :mad:
You can get the Piscifun reels up to an 8wt!

pnc

Reaction score
Piscifun Blaze I have is a 9/10. Others might be bigger. Color choices were limited with size when ordering.
300 yds Gel spun backing. Holds. 10-12w fly lines

....... pc.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Ordered on Monday, received today! Initial impressions are great. Awesome finish, smooth, good tolerances. Has a very smooth drag, with wide adjustment. Drag knob is extremely textured/knurled, good for gloves/cold. Spool is VERY light. Silent retrieve, quiet clicks when drag is taken.
Has a snap off spool similar to Sages system. I rarely take off spools, but no extra pieces to unscrew and loose.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
That's a nice looking reel, I hope it fishes as well as it looks.

I tend to switch spools more than most (for still water lines) so I always want to know what the price is for additional spools. Do you happen to know?

Don

nevadanstig

Reaction score
That's a nice looking reel, I hope it fishes as well as it looks.

I tend to switch spools more than most (for still water lines) so I always want to know what the price is for additional spools. Do you happen to know?

Don
Ive seen them pop up for the other reels and think theyre around 25-30 bucks. I remember them saying their not always on the website andnto email them, probably worth a shot!
And yep, this is available up to a 10wt. Couldnt find one last night but saw it today.

steveid

Reaction score
You 'trout people' get away with murder when it comes to reasonable reels and price tag.

Up your game to Steelhead/Salmon size ... be prepared to mortgage your first child .... :mad:
And my Tarpon reel makes my salmon/steelhead reel look like child’s play, both in stature and price tag.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
And my Tarpon reel makes my salmon/steelhead reel look like child’s play, both in stature and price tag.
I was fishing from a boat last week and had my own tackle (of course) but an outfit of the guide's, a 10-weight being fished by my future son-in-law mounted with a big Asian built reel of a brand I never heard of, experienced a problem. The spool fell of and bounced overboard. As far as we could tell, the threaded lock knob, which I regard as the most reliable design (if built correctly) counter rotated, loosened and opened. The skillful swimmer of a young guide dove overboard and retrieved it. This will not happen with your Abel, steveid.

What passes for perfectly acceptable, even good performance on a light trout reel (I am not implying any specific brand here) when extrapolated to larger and larger sizes intended for more demanding angling applications, often overstresses design and construction parameters. When pursuing big, powerful, saltwater species, a quality reel built by folks who fully understand how it is going to be used, is a wise investment. The further away you travel from fly shops, the more important rock solid reliability and performance becomes.

steveid

Reaction score
I was fishing from a boat last week and had my own tackle (of course) but an outfit of the guide's, a 10-weight being fished by my future son-in-law mounted with a big Asian built reel of a brand I never heard of, experienced a problem. The spool fell of and bounced overboard. As far as we could tell, the threaded lock knob, which I regard as the most reliable design (if built correctly) counter rotated, loosened and opened. The skillful swimmer of a young guide dove overboard and retrieved it. This will not happen with your Abel, steveid.

What passes for perfectly acceptable, even good performance on a light trout reel (I am not implying any specific brand here) when extrapolated to larger and larger sizes intended for more demanding angling applications, often overstresses design and construction parameters. When pursuing big, powerful, saltwater species, a quality reel built by folks who fully understand how it is going to be used, is a wise investment. The further away you travel from fly shops, the more important rock solid reliability and performance becomes.
Agree with all of it, and quite an interesting story about your SIL’s reel.

I ended up with a Hatch 11+ for my Tarpon stick. I’m considering an Abel Super for a 8-10 weight flats rod that will likely see more work and more fish, simply because of your praise of its durability, reliability, and field strip-ability (see what I did there) should something go wrong.

c web

Reaction score

HAHA yep I don't need a very complicated drag to land a monster 12" brook.

I have a piscifun sword and am very well pleased for what I do. Drag adjustment is a little too easy to turn but works fine for the skinny water fishing I do.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
HAHA yep I don't need a very complicated drag to land a monster 12" brook.
Yes, after all these years, for such fishing I still prefer a +'80- CFO IV or sometimes III for the purr of it. My issue is with scaled design consistency from little brook to tuna reels. Performance intent must drive design and with the exception of Able Super and Hatch both of which go from light line to heavy line sizes all other reels are either good small or good big. Which is not the same thing.