Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reel choices.

Blog Entries

Default Reel choices.

I am planning to upgrade my reels. I currently have A Liquid on my 6 weight Douglas DHF, a Guru on my 4 weight Sage Pulse and a Redington on the 5 weight Sage Accel. The Guru and the Redington where bought on closeout from STP. I am considering the Galvin Rush Light or the Lamson Speedster. Price is something of an issue and both reels fit in my budget. I may check out Allan but they have pushed the price limitations. I like the sealed drags as we have a lot of sand in our rivers. Any other suggestions.
    Last edited by brownbass; 10-02-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Default Re: Reel choices.

I'm a big fan of the Lamson Speedster....have a 5/6 that gets a lot of use year round. You also might consider looking at the Hatch Finatic....you can find them on close out now at several fly shops. I just bought the 4Plus large arbor and it's quickly becoming my favorite reel.

3. Likes brownbass liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redspringer View Post
    I'm a big fan of the Lamson Speedster....have a 5/6 that gets a lot of use year round. You also might consider looking at the Hatch Finatic....you can find them on close out now at several fly shops. I just bought the 4Plus large arbor and it's quickly becoming my favorite reel.
    The Hatch is one I have seen but haven't found one yet. I am just now getting ready to start getting serious so I better step on it if I want a Hatch. Also thinking Sage reels are on closeout and would save money for another fly rod.

Bill

What's your budget and reel type preference. Disc vs c&p.

ft09

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

6. Likes fredaevans liked this post

what makes you unhappy with the reels you've? particularly the Guru?
    Dave Watts
    dmwphoto@mac.com

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dmwphoto View Post
    what makes you unhappy with the reels you've? particularly the Guru?
    I am not really unhappy with the Guru at all I was more thinking out loud when I typed it out. My Guru has been a good dependable reel. My only complaint would be spool size and the gap between the spool and frame.

Bill

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by flytie09 View Post

ft09
    I prefer the stacked Rulon or carbon disc sealed drags I fish in rivers with a lot of sand in them. I am considering the Nautilus and the Lamson Speedster. I know the Lamson isn't stacked but I do have experience with them. So that would be the three hundred dollar range.

Bill

9. Likes dmwphoto, argail liked this post

You might want to take a serious look at Aspen Reels:

Large Arbor Reels | Aspen Reels

There is a detailed review here somewhere. If I need another reel , they are my first stop.
    Spey Nation Man ! Spey Rules !

11. Likes brownbass liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by flytie09 View Post

ft09
    4, 5, & 6w reels. Budget for one or all ? What type of fishing are reels intended for ? 5 might not make big difference. 6w , need to know for what.

........ pc

Quote Originally Posted by brownbass View Post
    The Hatch is one I have seen but haven't found one yet. I am just now getting ready to start getting serious so I better step on it if I want a Hatch. Also thinking Sage reels are on closeout and would save money for another fly rod.

Bill
    check here: Hatch - Fly Reels
    "Leave it as it is. You cannot improve on it. The ages have at work on it, and man can only mar it." Theodore Roosevelt
    "Live with your eyes open, you might notice something and you will have the opportunity to share it with the world." Argail

Hatch at a discontinuation deep discount would be a great bargain, there are very few if any better reels. Best reel at retail with a sealed, stacked multi-element drag module for $300? Allen Atlas. My contempt for the too wide and shallow, flexible Lamson products is well known if not necessarily shared by all. They are light in weight though but in that light category Nautilus X is a big winner.

15. Likes brownbass liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast