Abel's Cash reel

scotty macfly

Reaction score
This is where I draw the line. I understand Abel reels costing an arm and a leg, plus a kidney for their fancy painted reels. Actually I believe is more like a dye. But that's not the point!

PLEASE, someone tell me that Abel isn't trying to make money off this wonderful man's name, at $1,355.

Collectors edition, ok, I get it, but c'mon. It doesn't feel right to me. Kind of like when they auctioned off Stringbeans bib overall's.

Abel Johnny Cash Reel - Limited Edition | 2018

pnc

Reaction score
I suspect there is something more to it. Rights probably had to be granted. And market for such is definitely targeted.

........ pc

flytie09

Reaction score
I thought the Dead series of reels were high. This blows those out of the water. These are cool... but definitely not for the downtrodden.

ft09

crc01

Reaction score
I actually thought the dead reels were cool. This Cash reel is "meh" in the first place.

crc01

Reaction score
This is where I draw the line. I understand Abel reels costing an arm and a leg, plus a kidney for their fancy painted reels. Actually I believe is more like a dye. But that's not the point!

PLEASE, someone tell me that Abel isn't trying to make money off this wonderful man's name, at $1,355.

Collectors edition, ok, I get it, but c'mon. It doesn't feel right to me. Kind of like when they auctioned off Stringbeans bib overall's.

Abel Johnny Cash Reel - Limited Edition | 2018
I understand your point, but if that wasn't the case no one EVER would become famous. You become famous by people making money off of your name. It's part of the game. People are going to use your name to sell.

itinerant

Reaction score
Abel couldn't have produced this reel without a licensing agreement with the Cash estate. No matter how any of us feels about it, the estate trustees must have thought it was a good idea or it wouldn't have happened. There's even a statement by John Carter Cash in the product description wherein he expresses his approval.

About the reel itself though, the large block letter name is a turn off for me. Otherwise I like it.

Rick

steveid

Reaction score
This smells like the move a company president wanted to make, and his employees had to execute whether they wanted to or not. I’ve seen that happen far too many times, and have had to be the point man on it multiple times (which usually means you get fired if the boss man doesn’t love the final product).

mka

Reaction score
From a design standpoint...the graphics are really sad. Johnny deserved better...

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, Johnny Cash did not fly fish. Anyway, I thought Abel already had a Cash reel...plain old fashioned all black.

Money and "art" graphics aside, Abels are about as good as reels get. When my NRX#6 lost its Hardy MLA 350 to dag disintegration, it had the rare good fortune to acquire for itself a brand new Abel SDF in "raw graphite matt grey" custom anodization. Unbelievable perfection. Loaning it to a friend on the Missouri to take a cast at a fish I had the right fly for, he dropped it in the drift boat. I lunged, grabbed it, checked if for any marring (none) and would not give it back to him. "Tie on your own damned fly you klutz, that reel is more valuable than your Toyota camper rig".

My new Abel
W17 231 Abel SDF vs.jpg

dean_mt

Reaction score
I'm afraid it would be a lie to say Abel wasn't making money off from the Cash name, or the Dead, or whatever they put on a reel in limited edition. They are making a ton of money! But so is the Cash family or trust or whatever they have going to support Johnny Cash's legacy.

Capitalism, baby!! :wow:

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I understand your point, but if that wasn't the case no one EVER would become famous. You become famous by people making money off of your name.
Johnny has been gone for 14 years. He was already famous way before these reels were thought of. He became famous for who he was and what he did, writing and singing songs, plus a little extra. He doesn't need anymore advertising. He has been there, and has done it all. His name on a fly reel isn't going to make him any more famous.

littledavid123

Reaction score
I don't get it, for years I have read posts lamenting some business failing or the selling of said business to a big box store. Abel has discovered a niche that allows them to not only thrive but also sustain the research needed to stay the finest reel manufacturer in the world. I congratulate them and know that someday when I can afford one of their reels it will still be the finest made.

Dave

eastfly66

Reaction score
I think it is pretty classy that Abel honors a man like Johnny Cash and I'd be a player if I made that kind of scratch.
Now if it was Boy George instead I would be on the phone tearing into Abel at first light.

Seriously thou, what I would like to see is Abel produce a Military Branch Series and offer them to Veterans only at a discounted price.

falcon53

Reaction score
NW NJ, NE PA, Harvard NY on Upper Delaware
Abel commissions these artists for reel art who refuse to relocate from CA. I like some of the fish graphics designs. What about the Grateful Dead model? Does Bob Weir fly fish.? One of my favorite authors John Holt mentions Bob Weir was / is active in conservation issues in Montana (back in the day). Have not heard much of John Holt in quite awhile. Good writer and fisherman a little radical in a good way. Hope he is doing well.

mcmac

Reaction score
I think it is pretty classy that Abel honors a man like Johnny Cash and I'd be a player if I made that kind of scratch.
Now if it was Boy George instead I would be on the phone tearing into Abel at first light.

Seriously thou, what I would like to see is Abel produce a Military Branch Series and offer them to Veterans only at a discounted price.

Hey, that would be pretty cool. Sign me up for the AF model.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I think seriously thou, what I would like to see is Abel produce a Military Branch Series and offer them to Veterans only at a discounted price.
I don't know if it is current, maybe not, but Abel did a PHWFF logo Super 5 several years ago, I don't but I know two people that have and fish them.

PHWFF abel reel.jpg

crc01

Reaction score
Johnny has been gone for 14 years. He was already famous way before these reels were thought of. He became famous for who he was and what he did, writing and singing songs, plus a little extra. He doesn't need anymore advertising. He has been there, and has done it all. His name on a fly reel isn't going to make him any more famous.
Yes.... I'm fully aware of all that. My point was that famous people are used to having their name and image used. It's kind of built into the term. I highly doubt he would have been offended or cared one way or the other that his name ended up on a fly reel.