Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Default Anybody have experience with Ross Momentum LT #1 reels?

I just bought a new in the box Ross Momentum LT #1 on sale on the internet, which means no refunds.

I think I got a good deal, but maybe too good of a deal, at $171.00.

I haven't even put line on it and I've just kinda been playing with it.

When I turn the crank it seems sorta rough, almost like something is grinding on the inside, but it is subtle.

I'm just not sure if I'm being super picky, or if maybe "they all do that".

I'm thinking of sending it into Ross to get their opinion of it before I use it.

I was just wondering what the experience has been with other users of this reel.

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Anybody have experience with Ross Momentum LT #1 reels?

I have dealt with their repair and parts dept. and they have been wonderful to work with. If you would like I'll check my records and send you the name and e-mail address of the person I've worked with to solve problems. They are a solid group of people based on my experiences.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

+1 to what Ard said. I've got Momentum LTs in #4 and #6 and they've been great. A couple years ago I took the #4 on a saltwater trip to Belize, didn't rinse it off until after I got back home (stupid, I now know), and as a result had the drag bind up. Ross took care of it no problem. As Ard suggested I'd start with an e-mail to them and see what they say--worst case is that you'll have to send it in and they'll make it right.

Scott

4. Likes Ard, myt1 liked this post

Not familiar with this particular reel. Has reel been taken down & cleaned since recieving ?
    Just dealt with similar problem. Was given old reel that had bad grind to spool. Long story short...... spring holding tension on spool is now half the size it was. Half the size of of spring in identical reel that worked fine.
    Can only speculate as to reason. But spring seemed as if it were hardened.

......... pc

6. Likes myt1 liked this post

Grinding on the inside you say? Weird. I have been slowly replacing all my reels with Ross and have not encountered any problems of any kind. Though I will have to say I do not own the reel you are mentioning.

Ross is known for great customer service, so I agree with the previous posts to call Ross and ask questions or send an e-mail. They have always responded back quickly to me. Great people.
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

8. Likes myt1 liked this post

Description of grinding had me curious, after dealing with just such a problem. Spent portion of day, was just looking again. For a schematic diagram of the , Momentum. Only diagrams I could find only featured escapement ring , escapement ring cover, and 4 screws. Videos on maintenace same, escapement ring fliped changes drive from left to right or visa versa.
    Could find nothing on what Ross calls the quick release knob. Or how it works. Same with drag, nothing pictured.
    From video removing spool, reel I dealt with is a different animal. When you use the term grinding. Is It through the complete rotation of spool. Or only In a portion of the rotation ? Problem with your reel should be easy to find. Breaking down so parts can be seen should reveal problem. Reel is not complicated. My immediate attention would go to spindle and bronze bushing. Look for shiny ring on spindle. Sign of wear. Without pics of drag or spool nob can only speculate as to what I've seen looking.
    Looking over various sites on Ross reels, one thing stood out. The number of sites selling parts or repairs for Ross reels. Never have I seen so much of such for any make of reel before today. I see people with nothing but good to say about this company. All the parts & repair stuff today lends doubt to any testimonial.
    I have no Ross reels, always thought these to be good reels from reviews I have seen. Had no reason to think otherwise. Don't doubt they work well. For limited use !
    Promo's tout use in salt water. I spend 99.9 percent of my fishing time in saltwater. Three things about the Momentum are no sales for me. One, the quick release spool nob that twists off. Sounds like lost nob & spool at wrong time. Two, silicone O-ring under drag nob for tension. No no no no. Rather have conical discs. Three, single bronze bushing. Again no. Multiple ball bearings for me. And maybe a fourth. Escapment ring, appears to be plastic in pics. Having 4 dogs, of course renamed just don't remember what they call them. Single bronze dog is less likely to break.
    Hope things work out well for you. And get to put some years on reel. Keep us posted as to what problem turns out to be.

........ pc