Help selecting a reel..

cjs71988

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’m a casual freshwater bass fisherman. I’ve been fly fishing on a few occasions, and loved it!

My uncles brother used to hand-make bamboo fly rods. He has since passed away, and my uncle decided to give me one of his brothers rods that he had lying around the garage. It’s beautiful. Excellent condition, kept in a felt sleeve inside of a pvc tube. It hasn’t been fished with, or even seen the light of day in a decade at least.

It’s a 7 ft, 4 wgt, handmade bamboo fly rod. I’m looking to put it to use because that’s what my uncles brother would want. I want to do some all year round trout fishing in rivers and streams in the nj/ny area. Can anyone recommend a good reel for this type of rod?

Thanks in advance,
Christopher.

jspfishing

Reaction score
I just had a professional class and one thing was about reels. Basically, the reel doesn’t matter unless you’re doing serious fish like marlin, and other monsters where the drag system is important. Everything else is user preference. If you enjoy the thrill of the fight and love playing the fish than a reel is nothing more than a line holder and use palm pressure to control it. For people who don’t want that extra step that is a little more challenging utilize drag. So in a nut shell, a reel doesn’t matter unless looks matter and love flashy gear. For example, wearing a Rolex than a g-shock. Both tell time. However, a Rolex will last forever where as a g-shock will need to replaced after a few years. If you have disposable funds always go for the flashy and hand crafted equipment lol. I would and so would everyone else.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Well, I would never say the reel doesn't matter, it sure does to me. However, on a 4-weight cane I use an old Hardy LRH lightweight like the one imaged above. I would look for one used in decent condition and it should be fairly modestly priced. The line is more important really.

Regarding "year round trout fishing in NJ/NY" while there are "No Kill" designated areas that permit off season fly fishing, you will find the quality experience is in spring and fall.

deceiverbob

Reaction score
I always thought thought Peerless reels looked good on cane rods, but after a quick look at the prices, I would go another route.

flytie09

Reaction score
Options abound for fly reels. There is no wrong answer. It's all a matter of personal preference and budget. I agree with others..... it's more of a line holder for trout. Salmon and Steelhead.... we can argue.

These could be the beautiful yet pricey s-handle style (Saracione, Bogdan, Peerless, Loop Classic, Noel, Hardy Cascapedia, etc) to the vintage (Dingley, Farlow, Hardy, J W Young, Medalist) to the standard click and pawl (Leyland, Orvis, Milward) and the newer disc drag models.

There isn't time in the day to list them all - The FlyReelMania website has links to about any reel manufacturer's website that you can think of and lots that you can't. Good one to have in your favorites. The best fly reels reviews. Fly reel manufacturer sites, carrete, carretilha, degirmen, fis.

I'd say pair for $200 you can find a nice reel in the used market. Some ideas......just to wet your whistle and help get some ideas:

- Orvis battenkill
- Orvis CFO
- Ross R-series
- J W Young Neauvex
- Shakespeare Worcestershire
- Medalist 1494 w/ metal line guide
- Hardy (Lightweight, Marquis, St George, Perfect, Uniqua)

You just have to be careful as older english reels (say before WW II) have longer and seemingly non-standard reel feet that don't fit the newer rods. So i'd say stick with a newish reel.

Gary's website has some of the nicest aftermarket tackle out there.... bar none - Reels For Sale - Vintage Fly Tackle.

Happy hunting.

ft09

nevadanstig

Reaction score
My first thought was an older medalist as well.
Stating a budget would help us narrow down some for you.
That being said, an old bamboo rod needs a vintage (or vintage looking) reel. I LOVE new, loud and modern, but it just doesn't look good on a vintage rod.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I have a 4-wt LL Bean Pocket Water reel and it is a nice little reel, pretty light and looks good. And they have the best customer service. It was about $100. I have used it a lot and am very happy with it. I think it would go well with a vintage rod (but I am not an expert on aesthetics).

I bought a Ross Flystart at a closeout for $17. Not as fancy looking but works. Haven't used that yet.

The other day the local Orvis store had the SA Ampere Voltage II (the machined one) on sale for $70 (list was $205). I think they have discontinued it or something. I haven't used it yet but it looks good and seems well made.

I have a Medalist that is actually vintage, that would probably be a good choice as others have mentioned.

Anyway, depending on budget and priorities, you have many options.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I have a few old Medalists, and that's what I was going to purpose as well
The thing is though, you don't want a 1494 as ft09 suggested.
For a 7' 4wt., that would be too large. I have 6wt lines on my 1494s
For a 4wt line you'd need a 1492 or a 1492 1/2... and when I looked on the big auction site... there was none available
Plus, that size Medalist is right hand wind only which isn't all that popular with some folks.
Maybe one of the "new" Medalists might be more appropriate

That's 1492 in the front
IMGP0010.jpg

flytie09

Reaction score
Im sorry but I stand by my 1494 recommendation. I like to have some backing on my reel. If you fish a 4 WT DT line....a 92 or 92 1/2 will not allow for any backing. 1492, 1492 1/2, 1494..... decide for yourself. Personal preference.

For everyone's reference ......from the late Bill Franke's website. A man that manufactured aftermarket Pflueger Medalist components (One-Pfoot).

View attachment 9330

Pflueger Medalist (actual papers) -
View attachment 9328

The 1400 series Pflueger Medalists can be converted to left hand wind. The procedure is detailed here:

An Angler's Guide To The Pflueger Medalist Fly Reel, A Fly Fish Ohio In-Depth Exploration
An Angler's Guide to the Pflueger Medalist, Part 2 of an in-depth exploration by Fly Fish Ohio!.

The 1500 series is out there as well.... which is the left hand wind standard option.

And these are light reels even compared to fly weight reels offered even today. The difference between the round line guide 1494 and 1492 is an ounce or less depending on the vintage. I can't see this as a show stopper in one's casting enjoyment on a 4 WT 7' rod.

View attachment 9327

But this is a discussion of but one reel.........

ft09

Last edited:

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
My first trout reel when I was 14 years old was a Medalist and likewise my first stripped bass reel was also a Medalist. I have several of them floating about the house but I no longer use them. They are old and so am I but I've outgrown them. An also old, spring-and-pawl reel from Hardy, Lightweight, Marquis, CFO or also English BFR, like an Orvis Battenkill remains my choice for a cane trout rod.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Im sorry but I stand by my 1494 recommendation. I like to have some backing on my reel. If you fish a 4 WT DT line....a 92 or 92 1/2 will not allow for any backing. 1492, 1492 1/2, 1494..... decide for yourself. Personal preference.

For everyone's reference.

Line and Backing Capacity of Pflueger Medalist R — Postimage.org

ft09
If you were to hang a 1494 on a 7' cane rod it better be a heavy one! If not your balance will be off.

That reel in the front in my photo is a 1492 and holds a Cortland 444 DT4F line... plus backing
Second row left and third row right are both 1494s. One with a DT6F. The other a WF6F

For reference... actual Medalist reel papers

reels 022.jpg

tcorfey

Reaction score
To honor your Uncle and his brother I would pair up a nice reel with that rod. You got the rod for free so that allows you to spend a little extra on the reel.

I would go with a click and pawl reel in 3" to 3.25" diameter.

Other good reel choices would be:

Hardy Princess
DSC_0001-1.jpg

Hardy Marquis
f822ee4203c32469adaa0cc79fb1f644--marquis-fly-fishing.jpg

Orvis CFO III or IV
orvis_rod_boo_mighty_mite_2013.jpg

If money is an issue here is a picture of a Medalist and two Orvis Battenkill Barstock reels. (one black one silver)
31641698883_eba7f588b5_b.jpg

Or if you like the Marquis if you can find an old Martin Model MG-7LS they look very similar.
This is not the old tuna can style Martin fly reel it is solid.
s-l225.jpg

Regards
Tim C.

mka

Reaction score
Yep, I second Tim C's motion...

And, for a 4wt bamboo rod, I prefer reels that can be palmed when playing a fish.

jschaffer

Reaction score
Options abound for fly reels. There is no wrong answer. It's all a matter of personal preference and budget. I agree with others..... it's more of a line holder for trout. Salmon and Steelhead.... we can argue.

These could be the beautiful yet pricey s-handle style (Saracione, Bogdan, Peerless, Loop Classic, Noel, Hardy Cascapedia, etc) to the vintage (Dingley, Farlow, Hardy, J W Young, Medalist) to the standard click and pawl (Leyland, Orvis, Milward) and the newer disc drag models.

There isn't time in the day to list them all - The FlyReelMania website has links to about any reel manufacturer's website that you can think of and lots that you can't. Good one to have in your favorites. The best fly reels reviews. Fly reel manufacturer sites, carrete, carretilha, degirmen, fis.

I'd say pair for $200 you can find a nice reel in the used market. Some ideas......just to wet your whistle and help get some ideas:

- Orvis battenkill
- Orvis CFO
- Ross R-series
- J W Young Neauvex
- Shakespeare Worcestershire
- Medalist 1494 w/ metal line guide
- Hardy (Lightweight, Marquis, St George, Perfect, Uniqua)

You just have to be careful as older english reels (say before WW II) have longer and seemingly non-standard reel feet that don't fit the newer rods. So i'd say stick with a newish reel.

Gary's website has some of the nicest aftermarket tackle out there.... bar none - Reels For Sale - Vintage Fly Tackle.

Happy hunting.

ft09
I would second the Orvis battenkill