Princes

pnc

Reaction score
Thought I saw thread on , Hardy Princes. Not long ago but could not find.
Tonight was 1st club meeting of new year. Club held anual trash & treasures auction. Many reels of different sizes & makes. Have been looking for a clicker, and several makes were there to be auctioned. Only bid on one, and came home with Princes for $40.- (a couple other things to).
Rather dirty, but cleaned up with alcohol wipes. After peeling of stiffest line I've ever seen. Switched retrieve, drop of oil here and there. And reel is in working order.
Thinking of putting 6w line on it. Was marked wf7. Just fly line and near a half inch of spool left. Does anyone have idea of backing capacity ? Was thinking of using this Saturday at club outing. Would rather not have to do more than just put line & backing on tomorrow.

......... pc

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

If we're talking about a Hardy Princess then fill the arbor with backing until you have the first row of perforations covered.

Look at the one in the picture below;

The backing covers / fills the first circle of perforations in the spool and is visible in the second set of spool holes but does not cover / fill that set of holes. That is a six weight DT line on mine.

Same thing goes for a Featherweight, Marquis #5, LRH, basically any of the lightweight series reels, cover that first band of holes and up to the second set then load the line, you'll have a spool filled all the way up.

Ard

Last edited:

photoguy

Reaction score
For reference, when I was trying to find out the backing capability of my Prince, I noticed that there's a few original spec sheets for older Hardy's in Google images.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
This via Google: HARDY LIGHTWEIGHT- Princess Reel / Reel Weight 3.91 oz. , Diameter 3.50" , Capacity DT6+65m , WF7+ 80 meters of backing.

I would speculate that with a long head WF6F it would accommodate just short of 100 yds. of #20 Dacron. Note that these reels were cast of a magnesium-aluminum alloy (if I recall accurately...if anyone can confirm their composition, jump in please) which is subject to rapid corrosion in the salt. If not being fished in fresh water, you might spray it with something like Marine Corrosion X and thoroughly wash it after fishing.

Here again is my recently posted spring and pawl reel sequence image with Princess on the left.
T17 073 3 Spring&Pawl Reels.jpg

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Richard,

I'm one of those cats who likes the spool filled when the line is fully retrieved, based on the OP I figure that is what he is shooting for too. Rather than going with the specs Hardy made for line and backing combos I learned to use the perforation method. It seemed to hold true even for loading St. Andrew's with 9 weight DT lines. Cover the first row and get about 1/4 into the second row and with a fly line on there the reel will be full to capacity.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Thanks Ard, that hole row rule of thumb sounds good. I don't have a line winder/counter, I do it manually by eyeball; sometimes I'm spot on and sometimes I have to pull some off but, like you, I want the reel reasonably full but obviously not pinching. I buy Dacron backing on those big commercial sized spools so I actually have no way of knowing "100 yds."

pnc

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, guys.
Nice fly, Ard ! Didn't look close earlier.
Sweet, internals and all except frame/spool are brass. After brief tryout shortly be going for 200 yds of gel spun. Will strip line again and wax (hard paste), before putting line back on.
About 150 in backing now. Half 20 lb dacron, half 50 lb gel spun. Used what scrap pieces were on hand to get idea. About 1/4 in from frame on spool now.
Tomorrow is first club outing of new year. Sea trout, are target fish. Reel will get used in both sweet & salt (sorry couldn't help myself). Trust me it's got an owner now it deserves. When I leave the salt reels are immediately rinsed. If no running water available. I go thirsty a little longer. Reel drinks first. Home and reels are broken down and thoroughly cleaned. Toothbrush & soap.
Oh, same reel as in prior pics posted. With color being mint green. Have always seen praise for Hardy reels. And looking for decent size clicker. Had to have it. What surprised me was looking at same reels on net last night. People are asking $350.- for reel. Guess it's becomi g a collectors item. Lol....... to bad for them. This is getting fished.

Gotta run........ pc

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
My example belonged to a deceased friend who fished it hard and often mostly on the Beaverkill in the 1960's. During the 70's these Hardy Lightweights both Princess and next size down LRH Lightweight where the trout reels of the decade and many were sold, but not by today's standards as there just where not that many of us. Then Orvis introduced their Hardy-built CFO with palming rim and cam knob spring adjustment and Hardy introduced Marquis, the same as Lightweight but also with a palming rim (It was also marketed here as SA System Reels). Once we all had a palming rim, a drag was the next logical step and from there to large arbors and here we are. Enjoy yours, it is the classical spring and pawl reel, full of character.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Ard, that hole row rule of thumb sounds good. I don't have a line winder/counter, I do it manually by eyeball; sometimes I'm spot on and sometimes I have to pull some off but, like you, I want the reel reasonably full but obviously not pinching. I buy Dacron backing on those big commercial sized spools so I actually have no way of knowing "100 yds."
The only way I know 100 yards is if I have a 100 yard spool, most of my stuff has been on bulk 1200 yard spools so I got one of these.....

Items0666_zpsic5impsi.jpg
Click Image to Enlarge

No counter but very efficient sold by Berkley for about 24.99, love mine.

pnc

Reaction score
Oooooo.... she's slicked up and ready. Bet the Hardy Bros. never pictured her on a TiCrx. Yes, spool is now full. 180 yds, 50lb gel spun. 30 yd section of yellow between fly line and 150 yds green to arbour. Quick sight reference. Checked after waxing and water beeds.

Guess I'm getting nostalgic. Have Pflueger medalist thats been uuuuuused. Back cut out for my thumb. But never really liked it. Be looking for another this size or bigger.
Chomping on bit now. Tomorrow is first club outing for new year. Be leaving about 4.

......... pc

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Unless you turn to the Marquis series reels there are only 2 larger ones in the Lightweight Series. Larger than the Princess are the St. Aidan & St. Andrew. In the Marquis clickers you can use the Marquis Salmon II or III for light saltwater species. I used to catch kings using a Marquis II and it worked fine.

edreilly

Reaction score
Unless you turn to the Marquis series reels there are only 2 larger ones in the Lightweight Series. Larger than the Princess are the St. Aidan & St. Andrew. In the Marquis clickers you can use the Marquis Salmon II or III for light saltwater species. I used to catch kings using a Marquis II and it worked fine.
What about the St. John? I know it is larger but was it not technically part of the lightweight series? If it was not, what was different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
St. John and St. George (depending on age as they go back to before WWII) have a similar leaf spring, notched pawl and spool gear check set-up to Lightweights but they are heavier, more robust models often with a circular nickel-silver line guard. The latter "Lightweight" series came into being to make a reel like them but lighter. And latter Marquis, a Lightweight with a palming rim.

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
Be looking for another this size or bigger.......... pc
How about a Prince for your Princess? Maybe not that particular one, but it is a Hardy 7/8 wt. if that's what you fancy.

Hope you enjoy your Princess. Hardy are hugely respected in the UK and I know folks who have the sound of a Marquis giving line as their ring tone, they're that loved by them.

edreilly

Reaction score
St. John and St. George (depending on age as they go back to before WWII) have a similar leaf spring, notched pawl and spool gear check set-up to Lightweights but they are heavier, more robust models often with a circular nickel-silver line guard. The latter "Lightweight" series came into being to make a reel like them but lighter. And latter Marquis, a Lightweight with a palming rim.
Ahhhh - got it. Thanks.

I had suspected that the lightweights were a design evolution of the St George but knowing the backstory, and how the St John fits in, is very interesting.

jr spey

Reaction score
I think the Zenith fits in there somewhere, too. Definitely larger than the Princess. Also, St. Andrew doesn't ring a bell with me, but St. Aidan does.

pnc

Reaction score
How about a Prince for your Princess? Maybe not that particular one, but it is a Hardy 7/8 wt. if that's what you fancy.

Hope you enjoy your Princess. Hardy are hugely respected in the UK and I know folks who have the sound of a Marquis giving line as their ring tone, they're that loved by them.
A what ? Yes interested...... Just noticed post count. Trying to absorb all the info that's been supplied. Thanks all !
Club outing was a bust for 6w. Went heavier shortly after light broke. Wind was playing with 6.
This size & type reel has been on my mind for a while. Lucked out getting this at club auction for $40.-. Was surprised to see it there. Club is saltwater oriented. Not in any particular way. Other than location.
Now a bigger one:wow: It's not nice poking at the unstable. OMG, tarpon just came to mind:shocking:. I might be a candidate for an extra long sleeve white coat.

......... pc

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
What about the St. John? I know it is larger but was it not technically part of the lightweight series? If it was not, what was different?

Until a year ago my user name here was Hardyreels, I collected them but am not an expert on Hardy but know a little. I believe the St. John was more related to the St. George reel. The difference being 1/8" in diameter and that pesky agate line guard on the St. George.

I tried to find pictures of those 2 reels but they are in Photo Bucket and I have to move them onto my own website before I can share them here, this is a giant pain in the butt so no pictures. The St. George reels were also all right hand wind while the later model post 1970 St. John reels could be switched to left hand.