tested & still ticking

pnc

Reaction score
Perhaps all the discussions on new reels started this thought. I have several rods in each of the 9 (labeled) weights I have. Reels, not so many but catching up. 5 new past year & always looking for oldies but goodies.
The reels used most, the ones on rods, in cases in car. Are all more than 20 yrs old. Recently started carrying second 8w. So leave that one out. Add another I don't carry in car. Regular for a long time. Now has to listen to ridicule from ......mmmmmm...... new experts. But does get the last laugh when used.
The reel not carried all the time but used just the same. Is a Billy Pate Tarpon reel. Small little arbour. Never saw the light of day untill I refilled with gel spun backing. Doesn't come close to arbour now. Now also with 12w line, goes on 12w rod. Carried more than used. Now use another oldie on 10w that normally is on 9w in car (just switch lines).
The one used on a 10w for tarpon. That otherwise is on the 9w in car. Is a Fin-Nor FR10 (love gel spun).
The 8w carried an Abel Super 8. The 7w an Islander AR2. And the 6w a Bauer M3.
Wondering if it's a personal problem. Or if others might do the same.

........ pc

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
"Wondering if it's a personal problem. Or if others might do the same".

Is the tong-in-cheek "problem" fishing with old-school reels relative to new and advanced designs? Anyone who has been at this for some time, like you and me, has old reels that were once the latest and greatest. Many of my rods have "their" reel that is just right for them and when I fish an oldie-but-goodie like my Scott Heliply #8, its reel is an old Islander standard arbor (in gold) that is great. I love that outfit and though I have newer lighter more sophisticated rods with large arbor, sealed drag reels, I not only do not feel handicapped but enjoy that old rod and reel, it has charm and its own unique niche. Last year I had the opportunity to "up-grade" from a 30 year old Abel BG standard arbor reel to a gen. 1 Hatch Finatic. I am enjoying the Hatch, it is mighty smooth and tight; I only hope I live long enough for it to begin to catch up with the also black old Abel to approach all the fish I caught and great experiences I had fishing with it.

pnc

Reaction score
Relative to new designs ....... maybe ? I do have newer & new reels that are used. Perhaps I'm just more comfortable with the reels mentioned in op.
I to have reels & rods paired. Both old & new. Over time the reels mentioned have moved from one rod to another. Whatever 6, 7, 8, or 9w that is used more often than another rod of the same weight. Gets one of this group of reels put on it.
What are called improvements in reels. I think still open to debate. For a time I resisted sealed drags. Now have more of them than cork disc reels. No complaints about any. Just sort of hit me the other day. Those used most, oldies as said. Are just that.
Thought it would be intresting to know what reels people have a sweet spot for. And reasons if any.

......... pc

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Two of my older reels have stopped "ticking". One which I had out to test its mounted line on a new rod recently is a vaunted STH "Caribbean". As I pulled line against its modestly set drag, it faded in and out; I'm going to have to tear it down and take a look see. The other, which I am even more attached too is a great old Hardy MLA 350 Seatrout reel, long my go to for big 6-weight rods. Its drag just disappeared. I could find nothing wrong with it and brought it to a Show where Hardy North America's most long experienced and knowledgeable reel expert was at their booth. He too found nothing awry but had a theory that I had gotten some reel oil on the Avocarb dag plate. We removed it and not having rubbing alcohol found some Vodka and cleansed it with that. It smelled pretty good but still refused to function. MLA is a grand old Hardy attempt at being "modern" (yes, they built reels with drags prior to the contemporary Korean ones)and I can't bear to toss it so I'm retaining it incase I get a chance to visit England where I'll take it to Alnwick and see if they still have an old craftsman who knows this reel intimately.

I've had reels blow up, fall off their reel foot, spit little springs about, free spool and seize up but this old Hardy which has caught big fish form the Catskills to Patagonian Andes to Montana Rockies just...went to sleep.

falcon53

Reaction score
NW NJ, NE PA, Harvard NY on Upper Delaware
My older reels include a Orvis Battenkill click and pawl, System Angler System 1 456, Ryall and made in Argentina STH . These are all in trout size. The Ryall was my first "big expenditure" and works well even today although the tolerances can't compare to the new machined reels. The System 1 says "British made" and the Battenkill was made in England. The System 1 is surprisingly good and for some reason I have a habit of hooking a large fish when using it. Listening to the reel and watching the trout run makes me smile.

pnc

Reaction score
Sweet, she went painlessly in her sleep. Think of the good times when she comes to mind. Condolences are in order. Sending pm.

...... pc

Some might think this fooling. It's not ! Before starting fly fishing I went through reels. One or two every year. Since the only reel not to survive was the first Pflueger first reel I had. My fault for having on job site.

....... pc

mjkirshner

Reaction score
Its drag just disappeared. I could find nothing wrong with it and brought it to a Show where Hardy North America's most long experienced and knowledgeable reel expert was at their booth. He too found nothing awry but had a theory that I had gotten some reel oil on the Avocarb dag plate. We removed it and not having rubbing alcohol found some Vodka and cleansed it with that. It smelled pretty good but still refused to function.
I prefer a nice single malt or maybe rum.... but not for cleaning reels. Forgive me for stating the obvious, but vodka is not rubbing alcohol.... vodka has better uses.

Also...

Vodka contains glycerol, which is the same as glycerin, which has lubricant properties. In fact, glycerin is an ingredient in KY ... or so I have heard... (FYI, by KY, I mean the personal lubricant... although, to be fair, I cannot swear that they don't also use glycerin as a lubricant in Kentucky. Edited to say: On further thought, I'm guessing it is highly likely that they do... no offense to anyone in KY... by which I mean Kentucky, not people actually in KY lubricant... although I mean no offense to them either.)

So... you may have just replaced one lubricant for another.

I would suggest a multi-part cleaning process using the following: a basic detergent cleaner like Simple Green; some isopropyl alcohol; and vodka.

First, use the detergent to remove any oil from the drag plate
Then, use isopropyl alcohol to remove any detergent residue
Finally, vodka shots to celebrate the cleaning of your beloved reel... but don't get any of it on the reel, as that would probably f*ck it up good

Disclaimer: I didn't know any of this before (except the part about vodka not being rubbing alcohol), but I Googled it because I suspected that the difference between the two may explain something. I have no idea if a different cleaning process will help, but like chicken soup, it can't hurt... but don't clean the reel with chicken soup... or vodka... no, no, not vodka.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
What reel, what reel.......:fishing:...... pc
Hardy MLA 350
Hardy MLA 350.jpg

Hardy MLA 350 inside.jpg

You can see the Hardy proprietary "Avocarb" (British military aircraft brake composite) disc in the bottom image and the holes underneath the drag knob in the upper image have a tiny bolt whose position adjusts the drag range availability.

mjkirshner

Reaction score
Hardy MLA 350
View attachment 9613

View attachment 9614

You can see the Hardy proprietary "Avocarb" (British military aircraft brake composite) disc in the bottom image and the holes underneath the drag knob in the upper image have a tiny bolt whose position adjusts the drag range availability.
It looks like too beautiful a reel not to try to get it working. I understood your first post describing the problem - "Its drag just disappeared" - to mean that the drag has no resistance, which is consistent with the suggestion made to you that oil got on the drag disc. Is that correct? Have you confirmed that the problem is, in fact, no resistance on the disc, or is it possibly something else?

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
As is the case with a number of Hardy's made in England efforts to bridge their classic reels and modern performance reels, MLA is hardly a simple design. Both Hardy North America's reel authority and I were unable to diagnose precisely what is wrong while examining the reel together. This reel also pre-dates Hardy's current rod and reel designer. Still , there may well be an elderly craftsman at their Alnwick shop who knows this reel and, if I can determine that, I will ship it to them for evaluation. This means little to me but MLA's are a popular and sought after reel on British tackle auction sites and bring a shinny penny when they come up for sale.

mjkirshner

Reaction score
Both Hardy North America's reel authority and I were unable to diagnose precisely what is wrong while examining the reel together. This reel also pre-dates Hardy's current rod and reel designer. Still , there may well be an elderly craftsman at their Alnwick shop who knows this reel and, if I can determine that, I will ship it to them for evaluation.
Have you tried unplugging it, waiting 30 seconds, and then plugging it back in?