Lamson Liquid saltwater?

kamajan999

Reaction score
Will it do as a reel for saltwater? It's not meant for heavy use, but more as a backup for my more expensive litespeed series iv.
Im thinking about getting it as a cheap backup.

mjkirshner

Reaction score
I think the drag system is more or less the same in all of the Lamsons. I am not familiar with the Liquid, but I have a Konic, a Guru, and a Litespeed, and they are all fine in saltwater. I just pop off the spool and rinse all parts well in hot water after use in salt. The only thing I have found is that the drag knob on the Konic sometimes gets tight and I think it is from salt buildup. I boil some water and soak the reel in that until it cools, and then rinse well in cool water, and that seems to release it. I don't have that trouble with the newer reels (Guru and Litespeed), so maybe it is just a design problem in the older model. But the Konic is the only cast Lamson I own, and the Liquid is also cast, so maybe that has something to do with it. The drag hub can be opened, and I periodically unscrew the geared plastic cap, take out the bearing, soak all of the parts in warm water and then rinse everything. Just be careful when screwing the cap back so as not to cross-thread it. Heating some vinegar in the microwave and soaking the frame side of the reel (not the spool with line) and then brushing with an old toothbrush (4 out of 5 fisherman recommend it!) will remove any salt or other mineral buildup (that works on any reel). After rinsing, some rubbing alcohol poured into the hub and then drained out will help evaporate any leftover water and let the reel dry better.

tcorfey

Reaction score
I have used a liquid for the past couple of years in the San Francisco Bay with no issues. Of course I rinse it after each outing.

flav

Reaction score
You certainly could use the liquid in the salt. It has basically the same sealed drag as the litespeed, it's just made of cast aluminum instead of machined. You'll probably get some pitting on the cast surfaces after a while, but if you wash it well you should have no problems. I'd look at the lamson remix too. It has a machined frame, but a cast spool. It seems a lot sturdier than the liquid, which seems awfully light and flimsy to me.

pnc

Reaction score
Yes, if reel is similar in size it will serve as backup. Have Lamson reels but not reel mentioned. From prior responses reel in question is cast. Both spool & frame. If pricing is a point of concern I would look to other makes for a machined deep. Piscifun, if considered. Make reels you have to see to believe what your getting for your money.
Lamson, using saltwater with reel name. Would leave me to believe steps have been taken with finish to prevent corrosion. Can't say about over time. Because how reel is treated will either extend or shorten life.
Besides regular cleaning with every use. I wax reels every year. Frame & spool, paste wax. May not be nescessary with new finishes. But became habit long ago. And any water beads from reels, new or old.

......... pc

kamajan999

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info! I will get a Liquid, I just love the conical drag system. And yes, I will rinse it thoroughly after each use :)