Reel for CGR 4wt

flychuckerfin

Reaction score
Finally caught the CGR on sale and ordered the 4wt last night. Now I need to find a reel for it. New to glass rods and 4wts so would appreciate any input on reel choice that would work well for it. Since it’s a budget rod bought on sale I would like to match it with an affordable reel (new kid coming in April so don’t want the wife to beat me).

I like Allen reels a lot and have a couple Trout II’s, and couple go that way again but wondering if there are other inexpensive options out there that aren’t total junk?

Thanks in advance!

Fin

osseous

Reaction score
What did you pay for the CGR? Mine was $35. Couldn't say no-

I'll put a Ross Colorado on there, just because it's the right size and weight and it'll have a 4wt on lt- maybe that Rio Single Handed Spey line?....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I've had 3 or 4 reels on my CGR 4WT. Martin 63, assorted Orvis like Battenkill, BBS etc. I have no need for a drag on a 4WT creek rod. The older the reel style is in appearance, the more appropriate it seems on my CGR. Completely my opinion of course. The Martin 63 is my favorite but it is a bit light. You can definitely use a heavier reel and it feels just fine in hand. The CGR is light enough, but not ultra-light, which we shouldn't expect for the price.

flychuckerfin

Reaction score
What did you pay for the CGR? Mine was $35. Couldn't say no-

I'll put a Ross Colorado on there, just because it's the right size and weight and it'll have a 4wt on lt- maybe that Rio Single Handed Spey line?....

$39.99, but had a $30 gift card from Xmas still so only $10 out of pocket! Can’t complain about that!

osseous

Reaction score
$39.99, but had a $30 gift card from Xmas still so only $10 out of pocket! Can’t complain about that!
That's awesome. If you go and look at the glass rods out there and the prices they bring- these rods are a steal at retail- let alone $10

flav

Reaction score
The cabelas CGR reels are on sale right now too. They're cast aluminum, but they're a decent little clicker reel that's made to match those light rods, and you can't beat the price.

flytie09

Reaction score
I would say for < $100 budget, that there are a few options I can suggest. And I’d say gently used can get you 3x the reel otherwise available to you.

- Orvis Battenkill 3/4 (the older model)
- Hardy Marquis 7 (older model)
-Hardy Sunbeam
- Shakespeare Worcestershire
- Young Beaudex
- Pflueger Medalist (1492)
- Shakespeare Russel 1892/1894

That's what I would put on it. A nice vintage clicker.

ft9

Last edited:

flychuckerfin

Reaction score
I would say for < $100 budget, that there are a few options I can suggest. And I’d say gently used can get you 3x the reel otherwise available to you.

- Orvis Battenkill 3/4 (the older model)
- Hardy Marquis 7 (older model)
-Hardy Sunbeam
- Shakespeare Worcestershire
- Young Beaudex
- Pflueger Medalist (1492)
- Shakespeare Russel 1892/1894

That's what I would put on it. A nice vintage clicker.

ft9
Thanks, I’ll take a look!

sawinredneck

Reaction score
No doubt, jump on that offer!
I’ve been watching evilbay for used, I also like the idea of a classic looking reel. I’ve found a couple of the old Orvis Clearwater III’s for a decent price, but the reviews I’ve read were less than spectacular on them.
I’ve been looking at the Redington Crosswater and Zero’s, I like the drag on the Crosswater but not sure on the plastic. I like the metal on the Zero, but I think I’d like a drag, not a click pawl, for this setup.
And yes, that Ross rapid is right up there, I just figure with my luck, by the time I get the money together they’ll be sold out. Story of my life.