Ross Evolution LTX

edreilly

Reaction score
Telluride Angler’s website has pictures and says that delivery will be in April. Look interesting from what I can see and I was sad to see the last Evolution go because I had one and found it a good, very light reel.

Anyone seen one or know anything about the new LTX?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Scroll down this page to "New Reels from Abel and Ross". This new LTX is an all new departure from original Evolution and a far better designed reel. I want one too.

factor

Reaction score
It's funny how different aesthetics speak to some and not to others. While I do love the looks (and design) of my Evo R 7/8, this LTX does nothing for me...really don't care for that gold/copper drag knob. In my mind, the Evo R and Evo R Salt are pretty close to perfect...weight, function, ergonomics, looks...

dean_mt

Reaction score
I really like Ross Reels, nearly across the board. From the earliest model "RR's" to these new ultralights, they've stayed consistent to a very clean, functional, yet beautiful design aesthetic.

I have an Evo LT which I like fine, but am not in love with the look. The new more open designs are interesting, I actually like the Evo R better with it's full frame drag wheel.

But it's that updated version of the Gunnison that really piques my interest. I have an older model and I'd love to put one of these new ones on whatever 6wt I end up deciding on this spring!

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
While I just think the Evo R and R/S are great the new LTX, with similar design sans the rear plate size drag wheel serves an unusual variation on the theme. Rarely does a reel maker say, "Well, you love our reel with the super drag system, here is the same one but a bit lighter with a weaker drag." Hu, who wants weaker? It is no secret, marketing aside, that many trout reels featuring a drag shared with a larger line weight sibling, have more drag headroom than we can ever use. Kudos, I say, to new Ross for building a high tech, beautifully crafted reel with a drag range tuned to actual trout angling applications. Still with more power than most will ever use. I am a bit unclear if all reels feature the same color drag knob, we'll find out soon.

dean_mt

Reaction score
I completely agree, Richard, about the unnecessary drag on trout reels. I just like the look of that big wheel, not that I would want/need the power that comes with it.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I've been fishing an Evo R (black) on my 8 1/2'/#4 ONE for almost a year now and can't imagine a more perfect, light weight, high performance reel. OK, it does have peers among Abel's SDF (more expensive and heavier), Hatch Finatic (also a bit heavier with differing capacity) and Nautilus X (even lighter). I really like what new Ross, in concert with their parent, Abel, is doing and I am seeking a rationale to acquire new LTX...perhaps for a lightweight 9'/#4.

osseous

Reaction score
Important to realize that the LTX is the replacement for the old LT- and while it looks like the Evolution R, making comparisons inevitable, when compared to the reel it replaces in their lineup (which is a LOT lighter than an Evo R), it has a stronger drag. Quite a bit stronger. And it fills that niche of a super light weight, disc drag, large arbor trout reel- big upgrade of the LT, and lighter than the R.

We are witnessing a complete revamp of the entire Ross line. A revamp that is happening since the acquisition of Abel. When completed, they need to have two distinct, made in America, distributed solely thru specialty retailers, product lines. No mean feat. I have fished the Evo LT for years- in a couple of different sizes. The drag has never felt too weak to me- though I have read others' complaints that it was "weak". I rarely fish anything heavier than 3X on a 6wt trout rod. Occasionally I will use 0x for streamers- but even then, I have never run out of available drag tension on an Evo LT. When I handled the LTX, the folks from Ross told me how much more drag it had than the predecessor. What I noticed was how much more travel and control the drag knob provided- the holy grail for me- along with smoothness and no startup inertia- in a drag on a trout reel.

This is going to be a VERY well received reel for trout~ it is another gem from Ross. It may wind up stealing the spotlight from the Evo R...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I have spent a lot of time conversing with the Abel/Ross team at the Somerset now Edison Shows since Mayfly's acquisition of Ross from SA/Orvis. Remarkably, Abel ascertained that the Ross manufacturing machinery was more capable and advanced than their own California based shop's which, along with other efficiencies, prompted the relocation of Abel to Ross's Montrose, CO facility.

Regarding reel design, however, Abel felt Ross had drifted from its earlier standards and the model line at time of takeover encompassed a level of unrelated divergence and parts complexity they regarded as requiring redirection. So, lots of little springs and easily contaminated, small sweep area conical drag elements were immediately gone. Abel had already been working on stacked and sealed, multi-disc element drag modules prior to the acquisition, like on their earlier SD...a solid effort that has developed into current SDF/SDS. Ross Evo R and R/S are co-evolutionary product developments but uniquely Ross in lighter weight and lower price (compared to very high end SDF/S) unique design.

I believe the great teams of the combined reel makers are positively effecting both brands. Abel's SDF/S is now on the Sealed Drag podium with Finatic and NV-G and the younger members of reel team USA, EVO R/S and LTX are vying to challenge Hatch and Nautilus X respectively.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
"Important to realize that the LTX is the replacement for the old LT"

Yes, in its name and position in the Ross line-up but also, no, in that it bears zero design continuity with earlier Evolutions. As I wrote above, "new" Ross from a design and engineering perspective is all new in everything but name and location of manufacture. If one was to psychologically suspend Brand and Model Name (continued for more marketing identity than design and performance attributes), I perceive new Evo LTX not as a replacement for older Evo LT but as an Evo R sub family to compete with the likes of Nautilus FWX/X, Galvan Torque or even Hardy's Korean-made U DD variants which were at the fore of extra large arbor, narrow spool width, stacked and sealed drag module, contemporary trout reels. These are all very good reels and I have at least one of each and all are better than original Evo LT...of course I have yet to obtain and fish new Evo LTX for real life comparison; but I hope I will before the season starts and, based on the prototype I examined at the Show, I'm optimistic.

osseous

Reaction score
All true- but those are their words, not mine. I'm so enamored with my Evo R, it's hard to go down the line up... it will be interesting to see if it's nice enough to keep folks from moving up if they've never used the R.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

falcon53

Reaction score
NW NJ, NE PA, Harvard NY on Upper Delaware
I have the Evo R 7/8 on my 9ft 6wt sage One. The reel is really outstanding. However unless the trout are very large the LTX will be a more affordable reel with excellent performance (This is Ross's thinking anyway). It won't replace my Evo R 7/8 which in addition to trout can serve as a light saltwater reel for inshore species such as Redfish and Seatrout etc. The LTX does not have this capability. For trout fishing type applications I will seriously consider one.

callihan_44

Reaction score
is the LTX matte finish or semi glossy?? ive watched videos on the LTX and Gunnison reels the black Gunnison looks flat black while the LTX looks kinda glossy? I wasn't sure if it was the lighting in the room or what. The evo R looks matte

fishrat

Reaction score
Is there any locking/release mechanism for spool release? In the video below, it seems the spool simply pops off, rather than using a true locking system. Jump to 1:25 in the video:

Has anyone had the chance to see for themselves?

dean_mt

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that it just pulls free without having a button or lock. I've seen some other reels that operate this way. It takes a sharp pull to release it, there is no way it would come free otherwise.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
From the horses mouth; "Simple O-ring retention, a la the Colorado LT - just pop it off! - Bart"

Recalculating... I have been thinking of this soon to be released new Ross as a lighter drag, lighter weight, 4-weight reel detuned from higher performance Evo R. My revised perspective now is a higher performance with sealed actual drag version of spring and pawl Ross Colorado. I suppose, either way, it slots between these two models. Do any of you fish a Colorado and have an opinion about this O-ring spool retention?