Name that reel....

flytie09

Reaction score
A post today on the Breaking News string gave me an idea......How about a fun game of name that reel. Feel free to post a reel that challenges the knowledge of the group......

I'll start this one out. Any guesses?

image3.jpg

ft09

Rip Tide

Reaction score
That looks like a Russell (Shakespeare) to me

I've got one. The polished aluminium reel on the right.
I honestly don't know the answer myself. Someone that also owned one once told me and I should have written it down :eek:
I do remember it was a machine shop in the Bridgeport area
(extra points for the black one)

medalists 005.jpg medalists 007.jpg

Attachments

flytie09

Reaction score
Riptide is close. It is a 1930s Heddon Little River 26 made by the Shakespeare company. A re-branded Russell. The tell tale is the bi-color frame and spool combo w/ the round line guide. A pic of the interior would have been a dead giveaway as the check mechanism is unique.

As far as yours Riptide......I'll have to ponder over this one. Hmmmm...

The other black one ..... a Horton Bristol 65?

pnc

Reaction score
Riptide is close. It is a 1930s Heddon Little River 26 made by the Shakespeare company. A re-branded Russell. The tell tale is the bi-color frame and spool combo w/ the round line guide. A pic of the interior would have been a dead giveaway as the check mechanism is unique.

As far as yours Riptide......I'll have to ponder over this one. Hmmmm...

The other black one ..... a Horton Bristol 65?
Have to ask....... How does spool release from frame ? Lol ... original O ring maybe.
Try to get pic posted shortly.... have to run.

....... pc

flytie09

Reaction score
The Heddon LR-26 spool is removed by unscrewing the non-slotted knurled screw in the center. Then it just slides off the spindle shaft. No o-rings, j-b weld, or magnets involved.

View attachment 9874

pnc

Reaction score
Will add text soon.
Fema 151.jpgFema 152.jpg

Flytie, thanks could not make out knob as such in pic.
Believe this reel was made in CN. also. Did picture in another thread, don't cheat.

....... pc

Last edited:

pnc

Reaction score
Not a Pflueger..... probably Union Hardware
Yes Union Hardware , Torrington. I to refer to such as a skeleton reel. The name, a guess, is Sunny Brook. Stamped on backside above Union Hardware, Torrington. In letters twice the size.

......... pc
Do modified reels qualify for thread ?

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Since not even Seychelles fishing member camelbrass, where there are many South African guides and anglers, picked up on this one, it is a Magla. A what?
South Africans, in addition to having trout streams (stocked by the Brits of course), are big into heavy duty saltwater fly fishing. Their locally made Shilton Reel is a well known Abel Super wanabe...less familiar and, I'm concerned perhaps now out of business, was formerly Storm then Magla Reels. This one is a large arbor, cork disc drag, draw-bar reel very much in the user maintainable open draw-bar tradition and, like its famous Abel and Tibor brethren, features a stop a truck large sweep are drag. It is mated to my G.Loomis Crosscurrent GLX #9 with a RIO Tarpon line and it is a great performer despite being little known.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I'm going to go again with a less esoteric though still not commonplace reel than the Magla but please fellow fly reel aficionados, challenge us with your unusual reels.

This green one which matches and balances my wife's Winston WT#6, has a quarter placed over its hub to conceal its insignia. It fishes really well...

T18 Vossler DC4.jpg