Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10

Default My new reel thanks to the help here! Pics and maintenance questions!

Thanks to everyone for their help in my recent thread here:
    Are new Battenkills as good as vintage........Reel for new 4wt

Based on that and other threads, I picked up a made in England Orvis Battenkill BBS II with spare spool on the big auction site. Couldn’t be more pleased based on first impression and handling.

I have a couple more questions..........

Anyone have links to a site or articles on thourough cleaning and lubing/reel maintenance? Would like to up my knowledge on proper care in general, plus this one is dirty.

Thanks again for everyone’s help, I’m always impressed by the quality of folks here and how helpful they are!

Now for pics!

47AE79F4-256D-457E-8C60-2B1B67C05C50.jpg
    596F9C24-CC86-4656-B0CF-D92CB2F6C8DF.jpg
    A394A43C-C539-4042-B275-1E6E1FC6726F.jpg
    3C707E73-C3F9-4D99-9E21-76F870BDCD40.jpg
    Last edited by flychuckerfin; 03-05-2018 at 05:20 PM.

2. Likes spm, rockriver, mka, kentuckysteve liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: My new reel thanks to the help here! Pics and maintenance questions!

Good purchase! It looks to be in good shape. I'm sure it will clean up just fine, and with a little routine maintenance, it will last you a long time.

As to cleaning and maintaining it, there are a bajillion you-tube videos out there. I like this one, but whichever you choose, it ain't rocket science.

Here is a link to Orvis reel manuals.
    Orvis Fly Reel Manuals | Fly Reel Manual Download | Fly Fishing | Orvis

Enjoy your reel.
    steve
    "Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

4. Likes flychuckerfin liked this post

Default Re: My new reel thanks to the help here! Pics and maintenance questions!

Quote Originally Posted by spm View Post
    Good purchase! It looks to be in good shape. I'm sure it will clean up just fine, and with a little routine maintenance, it will last you a long time.

As to cleaning and maintaining it, there are a bajillion you-tube videos out there. I like this one, but whichever you choose, it ain't rocket science.

Here is a link to Orvis reel manuals.
    Orvis Fly Reel Manuals | Fly Reel Manual Download | Fly Fishing | Orvis

Enjoy your reel.
    steve
    Thanks! I’m sure it’s not rocket science, but figure like anything there are probably best practices on cleaners/lube and the application of such, so I’d like to learn to do it right. I’ll check it out.

6. Likes spm liked this post

To change to LHW you might have to pull the bearing out of the spool, turn it 180, and re insert. It's hard to tell from the pics.
    Danny

8. Likes flychuckerfin, spm liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by huronfly View Post
    To change to LHW you might have to pull the bearing out of the spool, turn it 180, and re insert. It's hard to tell from the pics.
    Yeah, I just found the manual, didn't realize it feel next to my desk when I opened the box it came in. Had a short blurb that said to do exactly that. Feeling dumb now.

10. Likes spm liked this post

Orvis still has the BBS Manual on PDF if you want a digital copy of the manual:

https://www.orvis.com/orvis_assets/f...BKBarstock.pdf

I'd be shocked if you don't like your new BBS...those are solid, smooth, reels that work great!
    MIKE ADAIR - Exploring New Mexico landscapes through fly fishing, golf, and art.
    @mikehrnm

12. Likes flychuckerfin liked this post