Full Cage Reels

isaiah20

Reaction score
I am searching for full cage reels. I am looking to use the reel on either a 10' 2wt or 10' 3wt. Using a a french leader I don't want to have to deal with the line slipping through the spool. Instead of dealing with the problem why not eliminate it. I figure I am going to need at least a 5oz reel. So right now I'm thinking Guru HD.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Generally when someone posts looking for suggestions but mentions a brand already in consideration the die is cast. Even though I know that I'll tell you that I have a couple Sage Domaine reels and like them a lot. They are full caged - have great drags - are at or near the bottom of the pricing tree and have held up to being used by guests very well. The anodizing is tough.

I'm sure there is one in the 5 oz range.

isaiah20

Reaction score
Ard,

That was not the desired result. I was pointing out that the Lamson is the only one I've found. I should have been more clear in my original post.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I understand, and after posting realized that I also have one of those Domaine reels that I use myself on a 13'6" Sage One. I really like them, I have others that are not full cage like a Hardy Uniqua (the modern style) Sage Evoke, and a couple old Orvis Vortex reels. I prefer the Domaine over the others. The smallest ones I have are 7/8 size and they are on 11'6" rods. I'm sure that the next size down might be what you are looking for.

huronfly

Reaction score
I use about a 5 oz reel on a 10' 4 weight and even while swinging and current is pulling down on the tip, it still balances tip UP. You may not need as heavy as you think. If you are looking for more mass, I would just move up to say a 4/5 or 5/6 size if it is indeed just a line holder.

flav

Reaction score
Teton reels are full cage. Made in the USA, and I see them new on ebay all the time for under $150. I have an old Teton Tioga 3/4 that I've had for over a decade and is tough as nails.

eastfly66

Reaction score
There not a full cage but machined very tight and US made , might want to take a look as Aspen Reels.

isaiah20

Reaction score
Aspen reels are on my radar, but the mid arbor 3/4 weighs 5.6 oz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eastfly66

Reaction score
I'm using the 350 LA on my 3110 and that was on the advice from a member here that is a dedicated nymph guy. I just barely know what I'm doing with the rig .....but I do know the reels are rock solid and so is the company.

flav

Reaction score
Not too many options in new reels. The ones that spring to mind are the various Lamson models with HD versions plus the ARX, Teton, the Sage Domain, at least one Danielsson, and I think Cabelas has a model made by Lamson with a cage (WLX?). There's also Speyco, that's a heavy reel with a full cage, and available in trout sizes.

If you're willing to go used, spring and pawl, or both the number of reels grows. I have an old SA system 1, an SA system 2, a Sage 500 series, Sage 106M, and a couple Hardy lightweights, all with full cages.. You can add lots of reels like Pflueger medalists, several Martin models, JW Young models, some Hardy models, and several other reel to that list.