Winston Bii-T reel question

mark_lee

Reaction score
I recently acquired a Winston Bii-T 3 wt. and tried fitting it with a G. Loomis venture 3 reel that I had. I barely could get the reel on and it didn’t seat very well. It seems that the fittings on the reel seat of the rod are pretty small, I am not sure if the older WT’s or other Winston’s were like this as well.

With that said, does anyone have an older Winston 3 wt that they could recommend reels that fit and balance well on them?

jofer

Reaction score
Nice rod Mr. Lee. That's a real gem.

Here's my WT with a classic Ross reel.
DSC00279.jpg

You need a classic reel on that rod. Ross, Hardy...

Regards

Jofer

mka

Reaction score
Congratulations on your new rod...a beauty. Not sure why your reel doesn't fit??? I've had several reels from different makers on my Winstons and fortunately have not experienced any problems. Currently, I'm using Tibor Spring Creek CLs on my 3wt and 4wt Winstons (includes an older WT) and an Abel TR2 on my 5wt Winston. Both of those brands and models have a classic look and work very well on my trout streams. I do have a wandering eye for the new Bauer SST, however.

huntschool

Reaction score
No pictures, but, I fish the small Ryall and Ballan reels on my little Winston's and really have not any trouble getting them to mount. Even use a CFO III on occasion. A bit of a wiggle now and then but that's all.

By the way...... sweet rod ya got. Enjoy. I know I love my Winston's..... Fish dont..... LOL

mark_lee

Reaction score
Well I grabbed a Lamson off my 4 wt, mounted it on the Bii-T and it fit like a glove. It appears the foot on the G. Loomis is too thick. Guess I’ll be looking for another 3 weight reel. Those click and prawls seem like a good fit.

fishiowa

Reaction score
In 3wt I have a BiiT 376 and use a Abel TR1 and in 4 weight a GVX, WT and two BiiTs that all sport CFOIIIs. All are snug on the foot but no problem getting them on. I'd post pics but my album has vanished?????

edreilly

Reaction score
One idea is a Ross Evolution LT in green. The color is an amazing match for the Winston blank. I had an 8 foot, 4 wgt B2T with a size 1 Evolution LT, and a 9 foot 5 wgt B2T with a size 2. unfortunately I sold the 4 weight a few years ago but come to think about it I still have the reel. Not trolling for a trade but if you like the idea and can’t find one, let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

edreilly

Reaction score

If you are more visual, here is a Hardy Lightweight (LRH in this case) and a Ross Evolution LT. CFO would certainly be another good choice too.

Enjoy the hunt for the perfect mate to your Winston. They are fantastic rods and for me, worth thinking about the pairing to get it right, for you.

Peter Jonas

Reaction score
Just a note to mention I just purchased a Winston Pure and the Ross CL 1.5 reel I planned to mate with it does not fit well either. The fitting does seem quite small. A Cheeky 350 reel fit well, but I'm not crazy about the aesthetics.

edreilly

Reaction score
I recently acquired a 9 foot 4 weight Pure and like it with a Hatch 3+. The Ross Evolution size 2 from the picture above also fits well. I think I prefer the slightly heavier Hatch but I don’t have much time in the rod with either to make a decision.

I guess I have a thing for Winstons . . .

redwing

Reaction score
I have a winston 379 LT rod with a Ross San Miguel #1. Great set up and no problem with reel seat matting up.

mka

Reaction score
A photo of my BIIt 7'6" 3wt rod up on the big volcano last Monday. That Tibor Spring Creek works nicely on it. My buddy and I were so tired of not being able to fish due to high waters that we said, what the heck, let's go anyway. Yep, the streams were over the bank...we had fun anyway hiking and casting bugs on fast flowing water.

A Colorado guide told me recently that Winston was talking about bringing back a fiberglass model...it's a rumor, but I hope it's true.

rcrfc

Reaction score
Had a similar fitment problem with a custom Barclay Fiberglass rod. Picked up the rod at a conclave meet up and had a reel ready to go, until it wouldn’t fit. Facing the agony of brand new custom rod and no reel, another clave-goer loaned me a Ross Gunnison pre-97. Smaller feet, sweet reel.
I now own 5 across the size range. Solid American made goodness!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cooutlaw

Reaction score
For what it's worth, and others have offered several good options, I have personally found that for 376/379 class Winston rods, IM6, WT, Pure, LT, BIIT, BIIILS ,etc. that the click/pawl original Abel TR 1 is a very nice combo, I also like Hardy models and Orvis CFO's in similar size configurations. Additionally, the original Ross Colorado 1 might be one to consider if you want a similar look without quite the investment cost. If memory serves me, those reels are about 2.8" diameter, I assume anything 3" or under would be an appropriate look for that delicately sized rod. I think you will find any "vintage" reel foot to work well on the seat, "thicker or longer" reel seats will work but won't always bolt up securely or be a seamless installation. Nice rod, hope you enjoy it for many years to come!