Arbor Size Poll

What Arbor Size reel to you use the most?

• Large Arbor

Votes: 65 44.5%
  • Mid Arbor

Votes: 38 26.0%
  • Standard Arbor

Votes: 39 26.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.7%

• Total voters

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score
I know it's a matter of preference and it largely depends on what you may be fishing for but, in general what do you go to first before all others. Please provide any explaination that you wish.

Thanks,
Terry

BigCliff

Reaction score
My two largest reels are large arbor, but I don't use them much. I use the two smallest the most, and they are standard arbor Ross. I actually prefer large arbor reels, but also prefer to not spend much on reels. A conflict that will likely torment me for all of my days....

I also got both those Ross reels before most of the reasonably priced LA reels were available.

JBinUTAH

Reaction score
I have Large Arbors but like the Orvis Battenkill Mid-Arbor better.

bbanking

Reaction score
The Waterworks ULA Force in either the 2XLT or 3XLT are excellent reels. They are extremely light, work flawlessly and can be used for fresh or salt water. I own a 3XLT and a 3.4 Waterworks reel. I use the 3XLT for Bonefish and Mangrove Snapper and the 3.4 for Tarpon and Permit. The 2XLT makes a perfect Trout reel. My "go to" Bonefish outfit (rod, reel, line and backing) weighs less than a bare Tibor Everglades reel. When you spend a day in the Yucatan sun casting to cruising schools of fish, the savings in weight is a big plus. The drag is fantastic and the reel has proven to be bullet proof. Tom www.pescamexicana.com

Joni

Reaction score
I have traditional, mid and large arbor. I prefer the large arbor, not only for the quick retrieve but, I fish all year long here in northern Utah and the line doesn't come off near as curly in the cold. The rivers I fish I have no problem running down shore if need be and stillwater, I can always turn around and chase.:D

FowlHabit

Reaction score
The Galvan OB-3 is the only reel I own. so it's the one I use the most by default!:biggrin: To date, I do not have a single complaint about this reel.

gregorykicks

Reaction score
I honestly have no clue what you guys are talking about.
Are you refering to the size of the reel when you talk about arbor, as in how much line it holds?

impart your knowledge upon me
Greg

FowlHabit

Reaction score
gregory kicks
The arbor is part of the reel spool which hold the line. The general theory of the large diameter arbors is that they produce less coiling of the flyline, which becomes much more of a problerm in colder weather.

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
FowlHabit said:
gregory kicks
The arbor is part of the reel spool which hold the line. The general theory of the large diameter arbors is that they produce less coiling of the flyline, which becomes much more of a problerm in colder weather.
With a large or wide arbour reel you will also retrieve more line with each rotation of the spool. I fish with Galvin Wide Arbour reels exclusively, and when a fish swims directly at you the larger arbour is a blessing

FISHN50

Reaction score
I fished with a Pfluger Medalist for a few years & I still have it in the extra reel box along with a few Orvis's ,Cabella's,S.A. System 1 & 2's etc. They're all standard arbor. Just got a Pfluger President large arbor & so far I love it..Got some nice fish with it & "knock Wood" no troubles yet.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
I honestly have no clue what you guys are talking about.
Are you refering to the size of the reel when you talk about arbor, as in how much line it holds?

impart your knowledge upon me
Greg
Hi Greg,

Take a look at these two pictures. The top reel is a Galvan standard arbor reel. You can see the standard reel has a small diameter arbor (the center of the spool where the line wraps onto).

Now look at the second reel and you can see the larger diameter of the large arbor reel. The standard arbor reel will hold more line than a large arbor reel if the reels are the same diameter and width.

bonefish41

Reaction score
I almost exclusively fish salt for tarpon permit bonefish thus large arbor for large fish which run over the backing before guide gets me back on the fly line to fight the fish.
Tarpon heavy 12 wt, Ross Canyon BG 8, and Orvis Mach 6 England not China.
Tarpon light; Permit Heavy 11 wt, Abel 4N
Permit light,bonefish heavy 10 wt Seamaster Dual Mode
Bonefish 9wt Abel 3N

However, in my opinion, you don't need high-end toys for Tarpon. I have caught 2 80-100 Tarpon on an inexpensive Teton 12 using tournament style in hand fighting of the fish...reel drag 2 lbs. This style was, I believe, originated by Stu Apte. However, as an old man I have come to realize you only can have one Rod and Reel, and One Shotgun in your hand so I like to hold the best that can afford even if I only have one or two.

Joni

Reaction score
Actually Frank, regardless of what they call it, the first picture as you said is a small arbor or TRADITIONAL, however the second is a Mid-Arbor or Wide Arbor (meaning in between Traditional and Large from the HUB and they are wider reels)
Here is a true Large Arbor:

Traditional you can get the max amount of backing, Mid-Arbor about half max and Large arbor Minimum backing (30 to 50 yrds on the average)
Each time you turn the handle all the way around on a Large arbor you are bring in 10" to a foot of line at a time. Advantage if you want to land the fish fast or it swims at you.

Joefishin

Reaction score
I have Large Arbors but like the Orvis Battenkill Mid-Arbor better.
I have a chance to pick up an Discontinued Battenkill Large arbor#5. I do realize that it comes at the expense of backing capacity, but, I needed one more reel to fit to a rod. $140 plus tax. The Orvis dealer didn't have any spare spools in stock. But, overall is it worth grabbing, or let it go? I did get my mid arbor Battenkill#5 today. It is stuffed with 30#backing (200yds+). Kind of a small real in relationship to the Mach5, Votexes, etc..

Anyone know why they canned the reel?? What kind of value is $140 vs parts availibilty, etc..

Thanks.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Actually Frank, regardless of what they call it, the first picture as you said is a small arbor or TRADITIONAL, however the second is a Mid-Arbor or Wide Arbor (meaning in between Traditional and Large from the HUB and they are wider reels)
Here is a true Large Arbor:

Traditional you can get the max amount of backing, Mid-Arbor about half max and Large arbor Minimum backing (30 to 50 yrds on the average)
Each time you turn the handle all the way around on a Large arbor you are bring in 10" to a foot of line at a time. Advantage if you want to land the fish fast or it swims at you.
Hi Joni,

Hhmmm, your picture is a large arbor but that doesn't mean the large arbor I showed is not a large arbor. It just is not as extreme as your reel. I was just trying to help the fellow out and not confuse him.

So here is an Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor. Should we tell them it is not??:smile:

<LI class=carat>Battenkill Large Arbor Big Game Reel Completely new large arbor series built off the wildly popular Battenkill Mid Arbor design. The best-value, high-performance large arbor reel anywhere.

Joni

Reaction score
Hi Joni,

Hhmmm, your picture is a large arbor but that doesn't mean the large arbor I showed is not a large arbor. It just is not as extreme as your reel. I was just trying to help the fellow out and not confuse him.

So here is an Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor. Should we tell them it is not??:smile:

<LI class=carat>Battenkill Large Arbor Big Game Reel Completely new large arbor series built off the wildly popular Battenkill Mid Arbor design. The best-value, high-performance large arbor reel anywhere.

Just a FACT. There are MID-ARBORS and there are LARGE ARBORS. Battenkill, Lamsen Lite Speed, etc., but that Galvin IS a Mid-Arbor/ WIDE ARBOR, but, I will give you the fact that they CALL it a Large Arbor, because Galvin and Ross do not have a so called MID-Arbor. In fact I think Orvis was one of the first to CALL it a Mid-Arbor, so not a big deal. But there is a difference in reality.....not really confusing at all.
The reel in your picture is a BIG GAME reel, there for the picture doesn't show it's true size.