Need a push head spring for classic-style Cabelas Prestige One reel ...

mirabelasunshine

Reaction score
Just a tiny little leaf spring is all, the one that keeps the spool release push lever in the 'attached' position when you aren't pushing it. This is an old-school (think Orvis Battenkill) style 5/6 reel that I've had for ~18 years. I really like the reel, but that darned spring popped out somewhere along the way, and now the spool releases at inopportune moments. If I could find a suitable replacement, I'd be back fishing it in 2 minutes. I've caught everything from pumpkinseeds to king salmon on this reel, and it's kind of sentimental to me.

Any suggestions?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Pictures of the reel so I could see the hub cover / cap and maybe the diameter of the cap and I'll start guessing what may fit and who may have made the reel.

:)

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Yes, like Ard suggested, someone made this reel for Cabelas and in so identifying, a replacement spring or equivalent might be available. I won't call it commonplace but I have seen a dozen or so spool retaining springs broken or weakened to the point of ineffectiveness. Though I've fished primarily Hardy built reels with this design element all my adult life, I've never liked it.

Indecently, this spring can be oiled by applying a droplet to the top of the spindle, replacing the spool and holding the reel face down (for gravity to direct the lube) move your release lever back and forth a few times to work the oil in. Any excess oil will seep out of the screwed on cap, wipe it away. This may or may not increase the life span of this permanently depressed little spring.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I know from experience that Cabelas will not tell you who made your reel.
It makes it very difficult to get parts that way.
That said, my (original) Prestige reel was made by Okuma
Mike's Reel Repair only has one Okuma fly reel schematic, and while it's not the same, it just may match the part you need anyway

mirabelasunshine

Reaction score
Thanks -- that's the Prestige Plus, the medium-ish arbor replacement for the Prestige One, which is what I have. Thanks, though. I'll take a picture of it, stay tuned ...

Rip Tide

Reaction score
That's what I have too.
There was only one Prestige reel at the time that I got mine so presumably mine is also what you're calling a "One"
What I'm pointing out however is the fact that those 2 other Okuma made reels use the same "spool retainer spring"

Reactions: Ard

mirabelasunshine

Reaction score

Here it is, hope this helps.

Objectively, I'd never buy this reel as a replacement for this reel, but I've spent many happy hours with it and it seems like it needs a 75-cent part. Also, I've been taking a lot of fourth and fifth graders fly fishing lately, and it's important to have a working fleet of half a dozen 5/6wt outfits. I'd like to get this one out of dry dock.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Someone may know for sure but that looks a whole lot like a BFR product. If so they made reels for many sellers and Cortland was one of them. Looking at the latch I'd guess any number of springs would fit it but I have no idea where you will find any inventory. Maybe Orvis .......... matter of fact I have a set for a CFO III if I can find it, I'll PM you if I locate the set, it's a complete hub and latch set.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I do hope you'll let us know if you find the replacement spring. Rip Tide comes through yet again, it's this kind of help that I really love to see here.

mirabelasunshine

Reaction score
Victory! ... at least for now.

I'm pretty sure the original spring is an angled leaf-style thing with legs of unequal length, but those channels in the plastic hub made me hopeful I could trap a sufficiently tiny coil compression spring in there. My dad worked on electronics for many years and he has piles of tiny hardware; my kids and I went down to see him this weekend and while we were there I rummaged his shop and brought back a few possibilities. One of them works. The lever return is a little soft, it doesn't bounce back with quite the same authority as it once did, but all it needs to do is stay put, so I'm optimistic this will keep this reel in business for a while.

I'm glad, because I contacted Okuma and after a little back and forth with the parts guy there it doesn't look like it'll be easy to get the original spring.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you've came up with something that may work out. If all else failed I was going to start hunting for a hub and latch kit I have somewhere for a CFO III that may fit. Now where did I put that................................

mirabelasunshine

Reaction score
And how's this for a surprise, I got a follow up email from the Okuma parts guy and they not only still have this part, they're sending me one for free.

Perfect!

Thanks to all who helped & especially RipTide for pointing me to the manufacturer.

mirabelasunshine

Reaction score
And, we're back in action. This one took some ingenuity on a number of fronts. My neighborhood water has some serious backcast limitations but sometimes a long poke is needed. I haven't really worked out the whole single-hand spey thing so in the meantime I spliced the front 19' of a chewed up saltwater 9wt line to an old 5wt running line to deliver a heavy dumbell eyed sculpin to this fat fellow.