Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Ross Evolution LTXa Revolution?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    No, this is how it is, a subdued click reeling in and almost silent going out. It's stealthy, the guys up and downstream of you won't be hearing a "fish-on" reel scream when you hook a big one. Understand that reels with drag systems don't by design feature a click as does a spring and pawl set up. Some makers add a secondary, none functional clicker for traditionalist aesthetic purposes.
    Thank you very much. I was worried about that and for some reason didn’t understand Ross’s explanation when I called them. Btw, awhile ago I had sent you a pm about 6wts and I appreciated your help then too. I purchased the Winston Air 6wt with Platinum Ross LTX and Winston Energy Trout 6wt. Gorgeous performer, gorgeous aesthetics. The energy line is impressive too.

Just ordered this reel for my 8wt. Going to be used on false albacore, stripers, bonefish.

Heard great things, wondering if you think it can hold up to these fish? I put 30lb backing on it, which probably will only give me 125 yards, but realistically does anyone ever really use more than that?

I also have a Torque 8 on my 9 weight, which I could put gel-spun on and probably get 225-250 yards if I ever really needed it. I have probably 160 yards of 30lb on that and false albacore never really have gotten close to spooling me, even on very light drag.

Thoughts?

Since Rosss acquisition by Mayfly Group and integration with Abel, they have been on a roll. With the introduction of Evolution R and its saltwater counterpart R SALT, Ross established itself not as the relevant reel maker it previously had been but as a thoroughly contemporary designer/maker of one of the absolute finest reels available. Evolution R is a great, elegantly built, high performance trout reel with few peers and the SALT version takes its super smooth, multi-carbon, stacked and sealed disc drag up to an astonishing 25 pounds of pressure; far more than is practically usable even for the fiercest saltwater denizens. Of course just because you have it doesnt mean you need to use it. Many a trout reel with a drag system scaled down from its larger saltwater intended siblings embodies far more drag potential than is applicable.

Attachment 12006

The which is the best trout reel debate may be unresolvable, split largely along the lines of traditionally classic spring-and-pawl actuated over-run check reels and newer designs incorporating a drag mechanism. An angler's preferred habitats, the size of fish inhabiting them and the presence of room for the trout to run influences reel design priorities. Most who practice catch-and-release in an effort to sustain a wild reproducing trout population recognize that the more quickly a trout can be brought to hand and revived, the healthier its release is likely to be. Will the skilled and experienced fly fisher land a fish using a reel with a fine tunable drag and palming rim some % more quickly than with a check and rim only? It might be marginal but I suspect, yes. I have no way to measure the drag settings I dial in when fishing a 5X tippet and size 16 mayfly imitation, perhaps three or four pounds tops? What is important to me is low inertial start-up, infinitely fine tune-ability and the resistance remaining as I set it, wet or dry.

Maximum headroom is nice, though even on my Evolution R SALT bonefish reel I only employ a fraction of it and even less on my Evolution R trout reel I have been fishing since its introduction. My experience has borne out my initial impressions; these are both great performing and fun to fish reels that have proven solidly reliable. They have all the features on my check list, light weight but rigidly robust construction, positive, captive threaded spool retainers with no springs to potentially fail, ergonomic handles of a good size and grippy material and, importantly, excellent aspect ratios; large arbored but narrow and deep enough for appropriate backing capacity. Add to the above their extra-large drag wheel adjustment with perfect tension to not be nudged off-setting and they are just brilliant designs.

Attachment 12007

Enter the third member of this family, Evolution LTX, which I saw for the first time this past winter at the NJ, Edison Fly Fishing Show. It was not immediately apparent to me but as I talked with the Ross brain-trust, I learned this new version is about a ounce lighter in the important 4/5 and 5/6 sizes relative to Evo R. This is achieved by diminishing the size of the carbon-stainless drag module and reducing the number of elements and employing a pressure fit spool retention design in place of the more robust threaded knob. Also the large diameter drag wheel is replaced with a much smaller yet still easily gripped, conventional drag knob that is ported for further weight reduction. While still some 1/3 of an ounce heavier that ultralight, spring and pawl, Ross Colorado and with a far less substantial drag than its R siblings, it carves out a unique niche for itself. While the massively impressive maximum drag headroom is gone, LTX still possess more than enough drag for any imaginable trout fishing situationin fact even enough for light saltwater applications. It splits the difference between a stop-a-tuna drag in a trout reel and an over-run check only spring and pawl model.

Attachment 12008

I fished two rather different 4-weight rods over the past month; Sages brand new 7 /#4 DART small stream specialty model and Douglas Outdoorss 9/#4 SKY which saw plenty of time on larger rivers like the Henrys Fork and upper Big Hole. I had three reels with me with different #4 lines on them but both rods wound up preferring the RIO Gold mounted on the Evo LTX, so, it saw on-water duty almost every day. Light enough for the petite DART and robust enough for the larger river capable SKY, Ross Evolution LTX comported itself with the grace and capability of a new category trout reel spanning the diverse habitats trout thrive in.

Evolution LTX 4 | 5

0.97"
    4.29 oz.
    4-5wt.
    WF4+85

$385.00

My thought, patze, is I would have sprung for the Evo R-Salt, more capacity, drag and robustness. I highly recommend this LTX for trout but use the R -Salt for bonefish. And, I don't have to tell you, albies can run.

Yeah I am exchanging it. Now it is between the Finatic, CCFX2, and Salt. Any recommendations? My reels spend a lot of time underwater...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by patze003 View Post
    Yeah I am exchanging it. Now it is between the Finatic, CCFX2, and Salt. Any recommendations? My reels spend a lot of time underwater...

Those are three top contenders. I would select based on neutral balance weight relative to your rod and capacity.

Those are three top contenders. I would select based on neutral balance weight relative to your rod and capacity.
    Thanks, does the Hatch have enough stopping power? Read a review that said it was 5.5lbs, which reviewers said wasnt enough. However, many people certainly fish them for tarpon, permit, etc. and warranty is amazing I have heard.

I use a Hatch 7+ on an 8-weight bonefish rod and never felt under gunned. I don't use a scale to measure drag settings but think 5#'s is a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by patze003 View Post
    Thanks, does the Hatch have enough stopping power? Read a review that said it was 5.5lbs, which reviewers said wasn’t enough. However, many people certainly fish them for tarpon, permit, etc. and warranty is amazing I have heard.

Hey man, this is Andrew from Boston. Haven’t seen you on here yet.

About the reel, I think drag is probably overrated for all but a few powerful species in deep water. My bigger concern would be line capacity. I’m thinking of Jeff Currier’s permit that he caught on his 7 wt while fishing for bonefish.

Quote Originally Posted by brokeoff View Post
    Hey man, this is Andrew from Boston. Havent seen you on here yet.

About the reel, I think drag is probably overrated for all but a few powerful species in deep water. My bigger concern would be line capacity. Im thinking of Jeff Curriers permit that he caught on his 7 wt while fishing for bonefish.
    Hey bud, so you mean that the drag is plenty?

I use my sage salt 8wt with a hatch 7+ for Bonita and never had an issue. Great reel. Between those three I would pick the hatch all day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast