Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Reels

1. Default Re: Vintage Reels

Reckless why don't you put up a couple pictures? Here's a pic of a couple with spitfire spools and black leaded frames.A St John and a Uniqua .Russ

Default Re: Vintage Reels

Here's my "spitfire" Uniqua that is actually a leaded Uniqua with the finish removed and polished. I knew what it was when I bought it and didn't pay a lot for it. I fish it in an old W&M Granger rod and I think the polished finish looks good in combination with the nickel silver granger reel seat.

Awsome reels, As soon as I can work out how to attach a pic I shall show off some of mine. Thanks for some great shots.

Hi reckless,

Here is a link to a FAQ that tells you how to post a picture. Let me know if you need help.

Hi dshort,

Is the reel finished in something to keep it from rusting?

Frank

The reel is just down to the bare aluminum, which I don't think can rust. I don't have it treated with anything.

Hi dshort,

Somehow I was thinking steel. Aluminum won't rust but it will oxidize. That is what happens when bare aluminum turns a gray/white color. It can even get a whitish powder in bad cases. I would keep past wax on the reel to keep its shine over time.

Frank

Probably not a bad idea Frank. I'll do that.

8. Default Re: Vintage Reels

Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    I have just got hold of a Hardy St John in the limited "Spitfire"finish. Are you familiar with this finish?
    The original Spitfires were actually made during the WW II. They couldn't get Aluminum due to rationing during the war so they used recycled metals from downed airplanes. Anodizing resources were 100% committed to the war effort so Hardy made polished reels without anodization.

9. Default Re: Vintage Reels

I'm looking for a spare reel for a Martin Model 67A. ANy ideas on where to look? Martin no longer makes them.
    Bob Lang
    rcliv@cox.net
    Edmond, OK

Kamin's Third Law - Combined total taxation from all levels of Government will always increase until the Government is replaced by war or revolution.

Here's one I have, an old Ross 'R':

It has bearings as smooth as well-maintained Campagnolo bike hardware and machining work that'll dazzle you but the design needed some work for sure!
    I'm just glad as I'm sure Ross is that they decided to get rid of the old drum brake-style drag. You get very nice and smooth drag, the problem is it work whether you're taking line out or reeling it in!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast