Never buy an Abel Super Series reel (particularly a black one)

camelbrass

Reaction score
....because you’ll never be able to justify replacing it! IMG_0221.JPG
My Super 9 is black, about 10 years old and has caught hundreds of saltwater fish. It’s been dropped, banged against rocks, immersed on a regular basis and has never even had a bearing replaced. Apart from the odd scratch it still works perfectly. I thought, maybe if it was a Bonefish pattern I wouldn’t want a new reel but it’s black and I wanted, no NEEDED a new reel. So, sentiment and thriftiness aside I got a new reel.....of course it could only be one choice, Abel SDS 9/10 in Satin Slate. It’s a sleek looking beast and if it performs anything like its predecessor will be a bargain, despite the price tag. Will spool it up, put it into action and write a review in due course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bonefish41

Reaction score
Now send old black back to Abel for a redo...in their anodized coloring. Their paint jobs are great but not as durable as anodizing. I have had them redo two black spools for my 4N and Super 9 in the old Carib CamoUntitled-2.jpg

coug

Reaction score
Great teaser. I have two abel super series 4's that I use as backups to newer reels. One of them was back to first string by the end of this year!

eastfly66

Reaction score
Great teaser. I have two abel super series 4's that I use as backups to newer reels. One of them was back to first string by the end of this year!
I have newer reels that are backups to my Super , SuperN and even Big Game reels. :)

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Trevor

Great tease! I love that new Abel SDS 9/10 in Satin Slate and can't wait for your next trip report testing it out.

camelbrass

Reaction score
Dynaflo,

I’ll go so far to say that if I could only choose one outfit to go saltwater flyfishing with and I had to cover bonefish to sailfish it would be a 10wt with an Abel 9/10N. That reel is just that good.

Regards,

Trevor

dynaflow

Reaction score
Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia
That's mighty close Trevor..my go-to for Bonefish these days is a 7wt.Scott Meridian with a 7/8N hanging off it (custom Bonefish graphic of course..lol)...as for the Sails,IMHO you need more backing than the 9/10 can hold and a bigger arbor for winding power,so that demands a Super 12W or a Tibor Pacific.
Cheers

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
They may call it Satin Slate...that is my SDF color too and I call it Graphite. Your right, cb, it is premature to anoint SDS a bullet proof classic but I predict its heading for such status. I look forward to your report on the tough tests you will put it through. My newest bonefish reel is its sibling, Ross Evo R Salt and it top drawer...so far. My preferred Abel Reel color and always has been is Guide Finish Black....though, as California art anodizing goes, the Bonefish pattern is pretty cool too.

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
Well done! All I fish are Abel Reels, from original BG series through Supers, Super N's, Creeks and the first Gen SD. I've not purchased any of the newer reels but have certainly given them a look.

littledavid123

Reaction score
I am going to hijack this thread for a moment. I purchased a box of stuff from a pawn shop and this reel was in there too. It is a Abel #2, that's all it says besides the serial number. The reel is mint, not even the smallest scratch on it but I have no clue what weight of rod it is designed for. Can any of you Abel folks give me a clue?

Dave

littledavid123

Reaction score
Great find.

It’s designed for 7-9 weight lines.

Regards,

Trevor
Thank you Trevor, without the reel saying anything but #2 I wasn't sure what it was, only knew it was more reel than I need on a small creek...lol Any clue on the manufacture date of these reels?

Dave

camelbrass

Reaction score
That series of reels were the original ones designed by Steve Abel and were available from about 1988ish until the Super Series came on the scene in the late 90s.

Regards,

Trevor

timd

Reaction score
The #2 was the first model followed by the #1. I have quite a few but mainly fish my 3Ns for bones and permit. Use the #2 and #1 for Snook.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

deceiverbob

Reaction score
That series of reels were the original ones designed by Steve Abel and were available from about 1988ish until the Super Series came on the scene in the late 90s.

Regards,

Trevor
They were available after that. I ordered an Abel #2 for a new rod in '04, wish I had bought a super 5 spool for then.

bazzer69

Reaction score
Now send old black back to Abel for a redo...in their anodized coloring. Their paint jobs are great but not as durable as anodizing. I have had them redo two black spools for my 4N and Super 9 in the old Carib CamoView attachment 12533
What did they charge to refinish you reels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro