7wt reel

clsmith131

Reaction score
Hello all,
I just picked up a 7wt method for schoolie striper, trout streamers, and bass. I bought it used and since they're on closeout, the market for a used one was low. I almost feel guilty paying so little for it-almost. I'd like to find a nice large arbor reel to match it. 7wt reels seem to be a bit of an anomaly, as reels seem a little over or under sized for them. I think the Everglades would work well, but I like variety, and already own one (and a freestone) so I'd like to try something different. I also have a Hatch Finatic 7 plus which I find works best on a 9wt rod and much too heavy for this rod. I like silent outgoing, but that's not a deal breaker. Does anyone out there have a reel they like on this rod? Also, intermediate or sink tip line suggestions would be welcome, I'll fish this on still water as well as medium sized rivers and the occasional saltwater trip. Most of my fishing will be from a boat or raft.

Thanks in advance,
Chad

deceiverbob

Reaction score
I have a Nautilus CCF X2 6/8 on a 7 wt One. I have put several redfish up to 10 lbs on this reel and it has been smooth, of reds aren't speed demons.
I like it well enough that I have been considering a second on if I decide to pull the trigger on an 8 wt X later this year. When I purchased the One, I wanted
to get a Bauer, but they were not available as that was right after Winston acquired the company. It seems that Bauer has recently raised the prices of their
SST line of reels also.

clsmith131

Reaction score
I have a Nautilus CCF X2 6/8 on a 7 wt One. I have put several redfish up to 10 lbs on this reel and it has been smooth, of reds aren't speed demons.
I like it well enough that I have been considering a second on if I decide to pull the trigger on an 8 wt X later this year. When I purchased the One, I wanted
to get a Bauer, but they were not available as that was right after Winston acquired the company. It seems that Bauer has recently raised the prices of their
SST line of reels also.
I like both the CCF X2 and the Bauer rx, the Bauer is hard to find though. I'm really looking hard at the Ross Evo, but I'm not sure I understand the difference in the 3 Evo models. Also, this sounds a little dumb, but I like the idea of matching color of the reel to that pretty, red rod blank. As for the redfish not being speed demons, neither are the fish I catch, if I were to use it for salt duty it would be reds, trout or snook.

mtbright

Reaction score
I have a method 796, and have recently bought two Abel #2 and a spare spool, I am string one up with 250 grain line for some Bonita out here in SoCal. I plan on stringing one for western Oregon steelhead which I will be trying out for the first time.

I also just bought a Abel super 7/8 and may use it on the method.

I have a hatch 7 on my 8wt salt and it fits perfectly. But don’t think it would be a good fit on the method.

Any one try a hatch 5 + on a 7wt method

dennyk

Reaction score
I have a method 796, and have recently bought two Abel #2 and a spare spool, I am string one up with 250 grain line for some Bonita out here in SoCal. I plan on stringing one for western Oregon steelhead which I will be trying out for the first time.

I also just bought a Abel super 7/8 and may use it on the method.

I have a hatch 7 on my 8wt salt and it fits perfectly. But don’t think it would be a good fit on the method.

Any one try a hatch 5 + on a 7wt method
If it helps I have a Hatch 5+ on my 7 wt Scott Tidal, used for Steelhead, Carp & Smallmouth bass-PERFECT!

Denny

osseous

Reaction score
I went with the CCF as well- for my new Igniter 7wt. It should pair well, given the light weight and powerful drag. Seems a match made in heaven to me.... looking forward to some Belize bones, and big western trout this fall on articulated streamers with this rig.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

dharkin

Reaction score
I have a Hatch 5+ on my G Loomis NRX 7wt and it's a great match. I put my 7+ on but it was way too big.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Yes Hatch 5+ is a great 7-weight reel, go with the mid arbor for more backing capacity. Nautilus's CCF X2, Ross EVO R/S would round out the three top reels for this rod.

deceiverbob

Reaction score
I should mention that the CCF X2 loaded with a 7 wt Rio bonefish line is the primary reel used on my 7 wt, but I also have 2 Sage 2280s, one with a Rio Gold for cold weather and one with a sink tip line for deeper fishing.

gormaci

Reaction score
You cannot go wrong with any Abel, Nautilus, Hatch or Ross USA. Budget is your factor.
Agree that CCFX2 are great bung for the money if you seriously fish salt. But I also would like to mention, that I use less expensive Nautilus X in salt (Yucatan bonefish) with no problems!

clsmith131

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone, I just pulled the trigger on a Ross Evo R salt. I spent more than I wanted, but I couldn't stop thinking about that reel.

tex68w

Reaction score
I have an Abel SDS 7/8 on my Sage Salt HD 7wt, I love this combo.

I am running a Hatch Gen 2 7 Plus on my Sage Salt HD 9wt, I agree that it is too large for a 7wt and possibly even for a 8wt.

steveid

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone, I just pulled the trigger on a Ross Evo R salt. I spent more than I wanted, but I couldn't stop thinking about that reel.
You have done well. I use the same reel on my Sage 7 weights.

I also just picked up a Redington Grande for my Spey rod, and it is nice! May have to get one in some other sizes.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I agree, the Ross Evo series are stellar and the R/S shares some drag design commonality with that top of the line Abel SDS.

Ross Evo R Salt is my current #1 bonefish reel, it is great, but I've had nothing but good experiences with my Hatch 7+ and Nautilus NV-G too.