Reels for Sage One #4 and Sage Circa #3

singlehand

Reaction score
I am borderline clueless when it comes to reels.

Which reels would you recommend for these rods? Could I possibly use the same one? I am thinking a very light one for the Circa (e.g. Sage Click), but maybe a different one for the One?

Help!

el jefe

Reaction score
I used a Nautilus FWX 3/4 on a Circa 389, ZXL 486, and ZXL 386. I think a light-ish reel of about 3.25" spool diameter is a good fit on those rods.

If your Circa is a 379, I might lean toward a Click, but I think those can get too light.

dillon

Reaction score
There are lots of options. What is your price range. You could possibly use the same reel if you could find one that balanced both rods. However, you'd need an extra spool because you'd need two different lines. So, might as well get two reels. You'd be happier in the end...

You should also decide if you want reels with a click and pall or a disc drag. Aesthetics may also play into your decision. Traditional or high tech looks.

I use a nautilus on my sage one and an Orvis battenkill or sarcione on my circa. They are both 4 wt rods.

proheli

Reaction score
I've got a bronze Sage Click 3,4,5, and I think that would be a nice match for the Circa. Its click and pawl (as you probably know) and it is very light. I've seen it crticised because the clickers are made of plastic, but that is not a big deal to me and it does have a cople of pounds of adjustable drag. One thing that really stands out about the Click is the finish. It is nicer than many more expensive reels, IMO. It has a brightness, a prettyness without being sparkly. So it is a great looking reel. I think the new Ross LTXs are fantastic (have 2), but they are more expensive.

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
You could decide if a clicker or a silent reel is what you want and color match the rod in some way. That narrows down a large variety of reels.

You could use one reel for both rods or separate reels or two spools with 3 and 4 weight lines.

The sage click looks like a fine clicker. I'm a fan of large arbor reels in 3.0 diameter for 2-3 weights and 3.25 diameter for 4-6 weights.

My green 3.0 dia on my sage circa 379 and a black 3.25 dia on my sage one 590 matches the blanks.

0381.jpg

2016_1107_16591800-1.jpg

brownbass

Reaction score
The Nautilus x reels (I have an Xm) are light and if you get the 3/4 weight size with an extra spool it should work for both.

Bill

steveid

Reaction score
I just setup a new Sage Click on a new Sage X 486. Orange backing with an Orange Rio Gold fly line. Beautiful looking setup, and the lightweight Click reel really compliments the light-in-hand nature of the eight and a half foot Sage X. I’m hoping to give it a maiden voyage at Silver Creek, the Wood River and the Lost River next weekend.

I think the reel would go well on either one of your rods.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
It's hard to go wrong with a reel as long as you like the way it looks and functions. Looks come easy but discovering function takes use. The Click's are nice for New Age styled reels and they have enough resistance on the incoming click to avoid that annoying business of a reel turning and actually winding in line while you are casting. I have seen reels that have no incoming resistance that free spool during false casting, the Click is good in this respect. Although I like my classic / vintage reels I do own a Click 4-5-6 for use with a 5 weight Sage Foundation, sweet set.

gormaci

Reaction score
ROSS COLORADO LT- one of the best light "click" reel I ever owned. US Made (comparing to Click) with excellent warranty and spools availability. (if needed in the future when Click will be forgotten 100 times by Sage.)
I buy US reels only for service reasons as well.
I use Colorado2 on few rods 2 to 5 and am very happy. No problem on 5 weight - click is strong and holds the spool/line.

satyr

Reaction score
Lighter than all but the clickers, which I won't use because I don't like the noise, is the Lamson Litespeed 1.5. It is what I have on my 4 weight One. You can often find them at a substantial discount on Sierra Trading Post. This is my second Litespeed and they hold up to serious abuse for many, many years.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I don't fish a Circa or any other 3-wt. for that matter but being small stream oriented I likely would favor a spring and pawl type reel that balanced it. Ross Colorado for modern looks or a Hardy reel for a more classic image. My Sage ONE 8 1/2'/#4 is far more performance oriented and has a Ross Evo R with a RIO Gold and is a great set up. The newer Evo LTX would be fine as well as would Nautilus X. I like a reel dedicated to each rod as I often have a couple of them rigged up simultaneously.

seattlesetters

Reaction score
I’m a huge traditionalist but I readily and eagerly admit the Sage CLICK is the best and most beautiful trout reel I’ve ever encountered. Absolute perfection.

Here’s what I consider the best dry-fly rig ever: 490-4 Sage ONE with Sage CLICK 4/5/6 and InTouch Rio Gold WF4F.

27398B9A-3477-4B52-B405-C03E63784205.jpg