For fly reels. Do you keep them or not?
I have them stashed all over.
I also had reels stashed all over too.
A recent purchase of Steve Abel's reel brief help organize
some of them, but I still have enough to fill another
brief.

karstopo

Reaction score
Some I have, some I haven’t. I haven’t sold any and don’t plan on it. I’m not sure why I keep the boxes I have. I keep most of the reels that aren’t on rods in a plastic bin.

I’ve yet to have a reel become inoperable or break in any way in spite of several seeing heavy saltwater use. I do nothing to maintain them and certainly don’t baby them other than a dip or rinse in freshwater here and there. Fly reels, even the low to mid price ones I have, are amazingly durable as compared to baitcasting reels. I think I kept the boxes to protect them, but they are far tougher than I could have imagined.

flytie09

Reaction score
I keep the boxes. It may be silly....but I keep the paperwork with them and would think it would help with resale down the road.

50-75 years from now, the next reel owner might appreciate it also. I have them all in a large tote in the attic. Not taking up a ton of space.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I've always been a box & papers keeper Bob, Over the years I've sold somewhere around 30 + reels. I believe I get my prices because I have the kit not just a reel.

While we're on the topic, I've never been a reel dunker. The only times my reels ever got thoroughly wet was either accidental or 10 days of rain. Even the reels I've been fishing for many years are in good condition with very little of what we commonly hear described as "rash" on them. Nothing says I love you like a 40 year old reel with no serious dings :)

In this picture you can see that even when alone trying to get a photograph of a fish I take care of the tackle first.

I actually look for friendly places to land / net a fish and that one had that little sand bar just peaking out so there's the rod and reel.

Save the boxes,

Ard

bumble54

Reaction score
Odd isn't it?, I keep all my multiplier reel boxes but none of my fly reel boxes, the fly reels usually stay permanently fixed to the rods or in padded reel cases. Recently cleared out a cupboard full of fly line reels, the plastic ones the line arrived on,even kept the pipe cleaner ties that held the line together, why on earth did I keep those?.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
So, apparently I'm not uniquely neurotic in my staking fly reel boxes along the wall behind my computer. The active reels reside in their covers in a few drawers organized by sweet or saltwater with little used or retired reels in plastic storage bins.

I try not to unnecessarily dunk my reels and also strive to keep them out of sand, marle and off rocks. When putting an outfit on a river bank, I seek a vegetation rod support. I perform this care not to preserve their resale value but to protect their functionality. My box accumulation, however, I regard as neurotic.

This summer I loaned a modest outfit to a young novice fly fisher. Bushwhacking into a creek and preparing to cast he observed the reel was not rotating smoothly. Sure enough a ding in the rim was causing the spool to hard rub the frame pillars. I don't know how it got there but I removed the spool and took my hemostat to the offending cast aluminum, put a crack in it bending it out but it worked just fine.

spm

Reaction score
I also keep all my boxes and paperwork, if I have them. I don't use them, but store them for their future owners, I guess. I store my reels in a padded reel case. When I travel, I take the reels I'm going to use in velvet Crown Royal bags.

steve

plecain

Reaction score
I keep them all, too.
I have to keep them away from my wife, though.
She's constantly on the lookout for things to throw away.

dillon

Reaction score

I do not typically save reel boxes. I do not like clutter and do not like to save things because I might use them someday. However, I do have a couple boxes stored on the closet shelf in my fly tying room. One is for the possible resale of a very expensive reel. This will only happen if I am no longer able to fish, for one reason or another. The other box (in the above pics) was given to me by SweetandSalt. No, not the reel, just the box, because it features his work, in which I played a small part. i happen to think it's a pretty cool box and is now going back on the shelf above my desk.

JoJer

Reaction score
Yes, I also keep all the boxes my gear comes in, and the boxes and spools the fly lines come in, and the boxes and paper work for my spin reels. They are all in a plastic storage bin in the garage, along with other extras that don't get used often. Like the separate gravel guards that came with waders ages ago, and the bucket of bobbers I got as gag gifts for years.
I have "my stuff" issues from being moved around when I was a kid.

trout stalker

Reaction score
I use to keep reel boxes but the clutter got too me. With that said I do have 2 boxes held back until I am certain I like the reels.

taylorreels

Reaction score
It brings me great pleasure to know that people keep reel boxes! I know it might sound trivial but we put a lot of thought and effort into our box designs. We have kept a uniform look to all our boxes since the start of the company! The idea of someone simply discarding the box kinda hurts my heart...

457AE41C-1609-4A6A-B448-24F8B19CD618.jpg

bumble54

Reaction score
It brings me great pleasure to know that people keep reel boxes! I know it might sound trivial but we put a lot of thought and effort into our box designs. We have kept a uniform look to all our boxes since the start of the company! The idea of someone simply discarding the box kinda hurts my heart...

View attachment 13180
:sorry: my apologies.

You must feel like the guy who spent years learning design in order to produce the best sofa /couch in history only for the wife to cover it in scatter cushions.

wthorpe

Reaction score
My main reaction is this: It's a box for goodness sake. I dont keep grocery bags or boxes my stuff comes in.

On the other hand, in recent years, i have bought a few older reels, and the presence of boxes, papers, and especially reel covers possibly adds a tiny bit of "value" for me, but only a tiny bit. For folks with collector level interest in reels the boxes and the air that came in them may be important. For folks who just fish em and might maybe perhaps sell one some day ... i can go either way. And truthfully none of the vintage reels i bought came with boxes and i was totallly happy with them. And when and if i sell any reels any buyer from me will have to be totally happy without em too.