Experiences with Sage Spectrum Max or Spectrum LT;

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to get one of these and am leaning toward the Spectrum Max, has anyone had experience with either......... Richard?

It appears that they are essentially the same reel, the Max in size 7/8 is 1/8" larger in diameter than the LT. This may sound silly but I'm thinking that the Squid Ink color combo (Max) will be better looking than the Black/Dark Spruce of the LT. Reels? I have plenty but I recently started using a Hardy Marksman 2 rod that has been dormant for years and decided I really like it. Too many rods I guess. So, because my fishing is the thing I enjoy most I want a reel for that Marksman, not just a reel (I already have one) but a really nice reel.

The Spectrum Max weighs in at 7.5 ounces and would be about perfect for the rod which is light for a 13 foot stick. So I was just asking is anyone has either reel and could tell me what they think of it.

[Edit]

It's already done, I ordered the Spectrum Max in the Squid Ink combo last night. 4 1/8" X 7.5 ounces I think it'll be fine. And get this! I ordered a Rio Skagit Max Long 550 grain with a 100 foot shooting line too. The time has come for me to have a reel loaded with a Skagit line because not everyone catches on to my longer lines quickly. I have one of the Hardy Uniqua large arbor reels that will be empty when the new reel shows up so that one will get a Skagit setup. I can make my own sink tips for this line because there are several hundred feet of Z-9, Z-12, and Z-15 here so tips can be custom cut to meet conditions. I even have an old roll of T-20 if things get ugly :)

Sadly I don't think the new reel will be here before my last multi day float of the year. But then as I watch the weather develop toward next week I may postpone for a few days. Frankly I'd rather deal with colder nights than cool with rain. That whole thing of getting up in the morning and breaking down a tent in the rain knowing you will be setting it up again that night wet is not overly attractive to me...…… Cold, well that's just cold but the wet thing can ruin things especially if it gets serious and colors the water, that would suck.

Here are a few pictures I swiped from the Sage website

8987f9b1-200b-4944-8462-ebaba3afb66d.jpg

d71811a5-8e4b-4c1e-9bfe-12ec7e1947d0.jpg

I don't see many posts about the reels made for and sold by Sage, so far I am satisfied with them and this makes 5 that I've bought. The only one that I moved on was the Evoke size 10, it had raised pillars around the frame that my running line got caught on way too many times. They were a weird design in my opinion, so much so that I actually called Sage and related my experiences to the people in the design department. For whatever reason the reels were discontinued in 2017 and I was able to sell mine a couple months back. I didn't feel guilt for passing it on because it was in fact a great reel and if the new owner has a different casting style than mine he may not experience the same thing.

Last edited:

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Ard, I have no experience with the Sage Spectrum series of reels. A Farbank employee I bumped into arbitrarily in Idaho this summer did make fun of me because I had one of two pre-introduction Sage rods in my hand (which I have written about under Reviews) with a Ross reel on it rather than a Spectrum. It does look like a first grade reel though with all the correct contemporary bells and whistles. I have a number of reels built at the same fine S. Korean shop where Sage has their reels made; Hardy's performance reels, the Fortuna X is truly impressive, I fish two TFO Atolls with their clever outboard, large sweep area stacked and sealed drags (I suspect but don't know the design is from the Koreans proposed to TFO), my wife fishes a 1st. gen Orvis Mirage built there which is good and if Orvis let them do more of the development instead of insisting on a few Orvis idiosyncrasies, I could have been better yet. I'm not sure but I think the new Taylor Revolution Z with its carbon frame may be built there too...I have yet to see one in person but the images look very interesting. I'm confident Spectrum Max is a terrific reel and we all look forward to your experiences with it.

New Taylor Revolution Z
Taylor Revolution 2.jpg
Atoll II
Atoll II.jpg
Hardy Fortuna X
Hardy Fortuna X front.jpg
While I regard our top US made reels like Abel SDS, Ross Evo R, Hatch Finatic and Nautilus NV-G as fantastic, I have found imported reels like the above to fill niches in my kit with high quality, reliable performance and no diminution of my angling experience. I believe the reel has to match the rod and these are all top reels. Perhaps, new Ignitor would be happier with a Spectrum Max than a Ross Evo.

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I expect it will arrive while I'm away Richard. I'm doing a last hurrah trip for 3 days beginning Sunday weather permitting. I'm tent camping and floating so a torrential 3 day storm could nix things...……… But, the reel is highly anticipated here, something new :) The good news is that I have so many Spey rods that use the same line that the reel will be used on whatever rod I want so it'll fit right in.

I have a bunch of my little double loops to make and mail out today and then some lines to move to different reels and a New Line to load up! I have a new experimental line from Steve Godshall to get spooled up and run through the river tests. Pretty exciting because after talking about this taper design over a couple months I have one. It is designed for use with my own leader design, the mono - Z - tippet design things I use. I'll take it with on this trip so I can see if it does what I think it will.

Thanks for your input.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
USPS Tracking says the Sage order will arrive tomorrow...……….. Was going to leave for a 3 day float tomorrow but between the delivery and weather I may wait until Sunday to leave :)

I'd be happy with that new reel on the old rod for a few days I think.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I'm sure it will be excellent. I fish a plain old Spectrum reel on my 5 weights and it is very smooth and has held up great so far. Mine was a replacement for an old 3280 that the spool would not come off of. Sent it to Sage and they said it was defective, so they sent a new Spectrum instead. It has been awesome, and the LT and Max presumably are somehow better.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the Max with the 3 tone finish points is just the pretty version, yours will no doubt work just as well. I just wanted something fancy for a change. My reels are just reels, I have an old Cascapedia which looks fancy but after a decade I'm used to it. There's a couple wide spool Perfects that were a thrill when they were new but they too are old now. The further you go back the plainer the reels are, Odyssey's Vortex's and a couple newer Sage Domain models.

I'll be interested in seeing this one in the metal.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
The reel came while I was away trying to make up my mind whether I wanted to die from hypothermia or over exertion while having fun on the river...………… I have it all lined up and was hot to use it today (Friday) but the wind never let up and I mean wind. Tomorrow is a go if the wind is down.

The reel is beautiful and from my own amateur assessment is quite well made. The match up to my Marksman 2-T 13 foot rod is perfect also. Since I've been home I've tied up a storm and will give the reel the test tomorrow if I can locate something of size.

I really like it!

bobtheflounder

Reaction score
New Taylor Revolution Z
View attachment 13380
I believe the Taylor reels are made by a different company since their drag design is completely different and is seen on a couple other reels like Guideline and Marlo (both european brands). They are specced a little different though. The Marlo reels have double keyed drag washers while only the metal washers are keyed on the Guideline reels.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Bob, Never having been over to Korea and gaining what little knowledge I have from industry folk at FF Shows, I believe there are two prominent South Korean reel making shops plus several even larger ones in China. Does the keying of stacked disc components have to do with maintaining non-shifting alignment under pressure?

triggw

Reaction score
The reel came while I was away trying to make up my mind whether I wanted to die from hypothermia or over exertion while having fun on the river...………… I have it all lined up and was hot to use it today (Friday) but the wind never let up and I mean wind. Tomorrow is a go if the wind is down.

The reel is beautiful and from my own amateur assessment is quite well made. The match up to my Marksman 2-T 13 foot rod is perfect also. Since I've been home I've tied up a storm and will give the reel the test tomorrow if I can locate something of size.

I really like it!
Hey Ard… FWIW I have a Spectrum LT I use on my 5 weight. And I have a earlier Sage 3250 I've had for along time. Love both reels. Like the numbered drag with indents, because it makes it easy to reset to a setting you like. The Spectrum, has doubled the numbers of indents to 20. The 3250 isn't particularly sexy looking, but the Spectrum series is. Don't have anything in the size you're using, and I don't have enough miles on it to speak to long-term durability, but I'm thinking you're going to like it. I was a Lamson guy, and the ones I use the most have had to go back for drag rebuild, so they have to be at least that good.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for that Trig, I've been out reeling in trout with it and even had a few runners. The drag is very good and I'm just waiting for a strong one to test it further. It's just getting light here and I'm headed back out in about an hour :)

bobtheflounder

Reaction score
Bob, Never having been over to Korea and gaining what little knowledge I have from industry folk at FF Shows, I believe there are two prominent South Korean reel making shops plus several even larger ones in China. Does the keying of stacked disc components have to do with maintaining non-shifting alignment under pressure?
Doubled keyed drag dics utilize both sides of the carbon washer where as a drag with only metal keyed washers will utilize one side. You get double the drag for the same spring force but you also get double the wear rate, which is why you don't see them in fly reels because the drag washers are so small.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I can report that I've been reeling in trout with the Spectrum and every now and then one takes a run. The drag is very smooth, I really like the reel. The entire rig comprised of a 14 foot Sage X - the Spectrum 7/8 and a 540 grain line comes to just 16 ounces and for a Spey rig that's light :)

pfetz

Reaction score
Love my Max. Very smooth drag. Kinda pretty as well...Has handled some big fish with some good runs/jumps. Good choice!

osseous

Reaction score
How about an update in the Spectrum Max? Read a review that it didn't offer much drag- under 4lbs in the 7-8 model? Can this be correct? I am not a believer in needing 30 lbs of drag- but 15 or so out of a salt water reel would seem about normal.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I went and grabbed it, I think mine is a 7/8; with the drag full on you can still pull line from the reel. I'd have to get my fish scale and anchor the reel to actually measure the pounds of pull that it max's at and that sounds like a project.

I can report that the drag (reel used on 14' Sage rod) has adequate resistance to stop / play king salmon up to 30 pound. Our seasons have been limited since I got the reel so 30 is as far as I got. I would not hesitate to say I would be able to land a 50 pound king with the rod reel combo so it's good for me.

I really like the reel but current low water and season closures limit its use.

osseous

Reaction score
Thanks Ard- that's good insight

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Keep an eye on this thread (subscribe) and tomorrow I'll do the scale test and tell you for sure. That and I'll go check the box the reel came in to be sure of size, they aren't stamped.