Orvis hydros sl vs. Redington rise?

My65falcon

Reaction score
Trying to decide between the 2 and can not. What do yall think? Slightly leaning toward the hydros, because of durability.
Thanks for your replys.

desmobob

Reaction score
I don't have either reel but Trident raved about the Hydros SL's drag in their 8wt saltwater reel shoot-out; said it was the best in the test -- and they compared 37 reels!

Tight lines,
Bob

biker1usa

Reaction score
I've got two Hydros SL III's and couldn't be happier. Light, solid drag and dependable. I have had these since October of 2017. Just not too keen on the small drag knob. I will buy more of these reel in the future.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, OP, why are you choosing between these two reels when there are so many large arbor, similarly priced, imported reels out there? Have you looked at Allen, Taylor, Cheeky, TFO for example? And how about US made new model Ross Animas?

Ross Animas.jpg

taylorreels

Reaction score
Im not trying to highjack the thread by any means, but we sell two sealed drag reel options at a price between $199 and $240. Both are fully machined (not cast) and lightweight.

2.0 perfect fade.jpg

DSC_5628.jpg

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
OK, Since Taylor is tooting their horn, I fished the lower reel depicted, T1, this whole season and it is, I think, a superior choice to the two initially mentioned in this thread. Note for example that Hydros SL uses a spring loaded lever spool release verses a far more refined and reliable captive, threaded spool retainer as on the T1.

el jefe

Reaction score
Im not trying to highjack the thread by any means, but we sell two sealed drag reel options at a price between $199 and $240. Both are fully machined (not cast) and lightweight.
You know that ESD 2.0 that's on your homepage? The gold-to-charcoal fade? I want that one.

proheli

Reaction score
Last year I got a Hydros SL, but I don’t know if it was the newer model that came out in 2016, I think the store might have given me the older one, getting rid of some old stock. Still, I really liked it. I didn’t fish it a lot, but it did everything right when I used it. The only down side to the reel as far as I was concerned was the weight. For $199 I though it was great.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
The original Orvis Hydros is on the heavy side but is a good solid preforming reel, I have one in limited use as 6-wt. streamer rod match-up. Its weight is perfect for the older Loomis 9 1/2'/#6 IMX and it possesses good design elements. It's Chinese replacement from a different factory, the Hydros SL is good looking and lighter in weight but at the expense of rigidity. Skeletonized modern reels can be machined in a way that their spider web-like porting can maintain adequate and appropriate rigidity but Hydros SL feels like one can crush it in their hands. Indeed Orvis themselves cautioned dealers not to wind backing on under too high pressure for risk of spool deformation. Be aware there are rods and reels that score well in Shootouts that may do less well in fishing. However, many of our especially trout fishing situations do not put tackle to the test as might larger, more powerful game fish applications.

falcon53

Reaction score
NW NJ, NE PA, Harvard NY on Upper Delaware
I too use the original Hydros reel (Hydros III) for streamer fishing. I have two one loaded with a intermediate sink tip and another in full sinking. These are 7wt lines and I can load up 100yds of 20" Dacron backing. My 7wt outfit with these reels are also used for Shad. Both reels are mated to a old Orvis rod. I find the drag adjustment decent. They were purchased on closeout when Orvis introduced the SL model. As I recall the original Hydros was priced higher than the new SL which is odd. I found the reels good value for the money for my streamer fishing.

A friend has a original Hydros in a larger saltwater size (size V) and has not experienced any problems. The originals all got favorable reviews.

bobtheflounder

Reaction score
The original Orvis Hydros is on the heavy side but is a good solid preforming reel, I have one in limited use as 6-wt. streamer rod match-up. Its weight is perfect for the older Loomis 9 1/2'/#6 IMX and it possesses good design elements. It's Chinese replacement from a different factory, the Hydros SL is good looking and lighter in weight but at the expense of rigidity. Skeletonized modern reels can be machined in a way that their spider web-like porting can maintain adequate and appropriate rigidity but Hydros SL feels like one can crush it in their hands. Indeed Orvis themselves cautioned dealers not to wind backing on under too high pressure for risk of spool deformation. Be aware there are rods and reels that score well in Shootouts that may do less well in fishing. However, many of our especially trout fishing situations do not put tackle to the test as might larger, more powerful game fish applications.
What size did you feel flex in the reel? The only one I haven't looked at is the V size and the other sizes were not too flexy imo.

Also if you are going to get a hydros make sure you can deal with the drag knob.

Last edited:

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
falcon, I just pulled mine out of its storage drawer. It is a Hydros IV and I positively forgot what a clunker it is. Solid as a brick though and serviceable. Truly uncomfortable drag knob! For all Orvis has had some of our great reels, CFO, Odyssey+, even 1st. gen Vortex or machined Battenkill Mid-Arbor, they have been all over the map in reel design and quality, almost not continuity or vison at all. The new second gen US made Mirage looks nice but I have zero experience with it. The first Mirage is an also-ran among a sea of good and better Korean made reels. Orvis has done a great job though of marketing itself into a major brand loyalty powerhouse. And they do produce a product I have regarded as best-in-class since its introduction in 1984, the Orvis Braided Butt Leader is indispensable for me...I have one on almost every floating trout line I fish. I don't have one on this Hydros though, rather a hand knotted Nylon leader for streamer applications.

el jefe

Reaction score
The Taylor reels are designed in the US but well built in S. Korea, the Ross Animas is made in Colorado.
To elaborate further, Taylor reels may be manufactured in South Korea, but it is an American company, founded and run by a local American businessman and staff.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
To elaborate further, Taylor reels may be manufactured in South Korea, but it is an American company, founded and run by a local American businessman and staff.
Yes and passionate about rod and reel design and a Business Member on our Forum. Taylor has some exciting new rods and reels being introduced imminently.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
What size did you feel flex in the reel? The only one I haven't looked at is the V size and the other sizes were too flexy imo.

Also if you are going to get a hydros make sure you can deal with the drag knob.
Bob, There are so many reel models available as you know that there is no need to accept even minor design flaws in any reel. Excessive flex or play in an assembled reel is enough for me to put it back on the shelf and say no thanks. However, in our era of buying on-line, brand recognition and reviews from folks that sell tackle have supplanted informed hands-on evaluation.