Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Can't find much on-line information on Orvis Odyssey and Odyssey+ reels...

I've been watching this Odyssey III going through eBay this week
    The owner said it was 'not working/for parts' because he didn't know how to remove the spool.
    Or use Google, apparently!

Unfortunately (presuming the spool isn't truly stuck), I wasn't alone in my hopes and in the end didn't bid myself. The reel went for just over £100 - which is probably close to $125 given how Sterling is falling today! Allowing for the few scratches & dints, an unknown line, no bag/case that's about the same these models are going for with you guys in the States, I think?
    This is the first Odyssey I've seen on ebayUK and I admire the styling. I like a bit of weight on a Spey reel, too, and this reel looks nicely chunky. Hey, ho. T'was not to be. It was just a 'want', not a 'need', anyway. Oh, and I won last month's Caption Comp on the UK forum this week so have a new Allen Trout II reel on my Christmas List thanks to our kind sponsors.

@desertrat: I couldn't see any serial number on either side of this reel's foot. I've read that some early Odyssey models were upgraded (handle and disc drag?) at one point, and that others may have been sold without a serial number when it was discontinued, whether this is either I don't know, but it was another reason not to bid. If I should ever see another on eBayUK I'll post the number here for you. Good luck with your project.

Default Re: Can't find much on-line information on Orvis Odyssey and Odyssey+ reels...

I looked at that eBay Odyssey III you mentioned. The fact it didn't have a serial number or "Made in U.S.A." stamp on the reel foot, combined with the description, scared me off right away.

I have had mixed experiences buying Odysseys on the auction site. I got the first one dirt cheap ($89), as it was just listed as "Orvis reel" and probably didn't show up in anyone's searches. It was perfect, but assembled improperly. It was good as new in less than a minute.

The next couple were ones I mentioned above, with the Rulon drag disk siliconed to the reel frame for some reason. One was also assembled improperly. After some cleaning up work, they are both excellent.

One other was a real mess. It looked great, but the bearings were bad and the spool was rubbing. It was chuck full of grease and part of the anti-reverse was assembled wrong (it's an older reel with the roller AR mechanism). It cleaned up nicely and went back together well but the bearings growl and need replacing, which is dirt cheap to do. I may even already have the bearings I need in my shop.

I have four of the Odysseys now (three I's and a III) and probably won't try to buy any more unless I stumble across a II, which seem to be scarce as hen's teeth and likely command big prices.

Tight lines,
    Bob
    At the southern tip of Lake Champlain

3. Default Re: Can't find much on-line information on Orvis Odyssey and Odyssey+ reels...

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Chessman View Post
    I've been watching this Odyssey III going through eBay this week

@desertrat: I couldn't see any serial number on either side of this reel's foot. I've read that some early Odyssey models were upgraded (handle and disc drag?) at one point, and that others may have been sold without a serial number when it was discontinued, whether this is either I don't know, but it was another reason not to bid. If I should ever see another on eBayUK I'll post the number here for you. Good luck with your project.
    To me that was a Korean reel, they might work as well as the US made but, really donít know. I spoke with someone that had both kinds and didnít notice a difference but the looks

4. Thanks Lewis Chessman thanked for this post

I was unaware Orvis had moved Odyssey production to Korea.

6. Default Re: Can't find much on-line information on Orvis Odyssey and Odyssey+ reels...

Quote Originally Posted by desmobob View Post
    I forgot to send you the serial number from my recent acquisition... Odyssey+ I 07699-3823 Made in U.S.A.
    It has the pawl AR, cork and Rulon drag disks, and the thin, hard plastic handle.

Tight lines,
    Bob
    Thanks Bob, congrats for that reel, it will give great memories

7. Likes desmobob liked this post
  8. Default Re: Can't find much on-line information on Orvis Odyssey and Odyssey+ reels...

Odyssey + I : 07699-3745
    Odyssey +II : 35097-3549
    Both just returned from servcing at Orvis and now working like new!

9. Default Re: Can't find much on-line information on Orvis Odyssey and Odyssey+ reels...

Thanks Hock,

I have not seen a lot of 97s, enjoy

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123