Can't find much on-line information on Orvis Odyssey and Odyssey+ reels...

desmobob

Reaction score
I have a thing for small-sized big game reels apparently. I have two older, discontinued, Orvis Mirage I reels and just picked up my second Odyssey I. The Odyssey that I already had is an Odyssey+ I and the new addition is the original non "+" model. The only difference I'm seeing is that the Odyssey+ has an extra Rulon drag disc between the frame and the cork on the drag disc/AR clutch piece or whatever it's called.

Since I bought both of these reels in used condition and can't find a parts diagram on line, I don't really know if this is normal or if the older reel is missing the Rulon disc. The drag as-is is smooth and silky and doesn't seem to be lacking. It feels every bit as smooth as the Odyssey+ with the added disc.

To use a couple of favorite phrases to describe these reels, I'd call them "a cross between a Swiss watch and a bank vault" (I first read that phrase in a gun magazine review of the Freedom Arms Casull .454) or, "an iron fist in a velvet glove." Love 'em to death.

Tight lines,
Bob

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree! They were extremely well done, I have 2. Mine are the Odyssey III & Odyssey IV, I use both as Spey reels and the drags handle salmon no sweat. I have zero experience with the Plus reels...……………….

desmobob

Reaction score
To me, the only drawback to the Odyssey reels is that is a bit involved to change spools; I don't think I'd want them on some of my outfits where I change line types.

But for the 3wt and 4wt outfits I use them on, a floating line is what I'll be fishing so spool changes aren't something I'll be doing.

Those big, cork drags are s-m-o-o-o-t-h!

Tight lines,
Bob

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Odyssey is a very interesting riff on the cork draw-bar concept with some unique design modifications, a very well designed in house by Orvis and US machined reel. Mine is a III. Like all draw-bars, this reel is not intended for quick, riverbank spool switching. Have you attempted to discuss a technical specification sheet with Orvis customer service? With persistence on your behalf, they must have it available and should also be able to describe the difference between the original and + models...which I would like to know myself, mine is a +.

desmobob

Reaction score
Have you attempted to discuss a technical specification sheet with Orvis customer service? With persistence on your behalf, they must have it available and should also be able to describe the difference between the original and + models...which I would like to know myself, mine is a +.
I happen to have just called Orvis this morning. I ordered a reel part, then asked about the differences between the Odyssey and Odyssey+. The gentlemen didn't know. He was able to e-mail a .pdf of the instruction manual from the non-+ model. I was hoping it included an exploded parts diagram but it did not. Incidentally, the manual is for the Odyssey III and IV so if anyone needs a copy, PM me.

As you mentioned, it apparently will take some persistence on my behalf to get more information from the folks at Orvis.

Tight lines,
Bob

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Bob, They tend to be quit good with contemporary, in production stuff but lack accessible resources for earlier products. They usually can get it but it requires they research and/or go up the seniority ladder. This is not their favorite thing to do hence your required persistence and patience.

desmobob

Reaction score
I may try to bribe my way into the reel repair shop with a big box of donuts the next time I'm in Manchester, VT. Maybe I can get some information there. They have provided me with some outstanding service and I'd like to show my thanks.

As I noted, they e-mailed a .pdf of the Odyssey III & IV manual, which appears to be different from the Odyssey manual I already have. It looks older and shows a totally different AR clutch. I'm pretty sure it's older as the reel handle in the photo is the thin, hard plastic type, while the reel handle pictured in the manual I already have shows the flattened, rubber handle. I have a bunch of Orvis DXR reels, too, and know the older ones came with the thin plastic handles while the newer ones were equipped with the grippy, flattened rubber ones.

Tight lines,
Bob

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
The reel shop has had a significant turn over with many of the old hands retiring and I haven't found the new people to be especially knowledgeable so don't go with the most expensive donuts ;)

I did research the reels about 10 years ago and found that some were made for Orvis by Ross I think it was and the early models were done by a small shop in Southern California. The Cal. shop is long gone and followup on that led to a dead end. Way back then I had gotten the new style Paddle handles for my reels and changed them from the small round delrin plastic handles on mine. I do have an extra paddle and a round handle if ever you may need one.

desmobob

Reaction score
Both my Odysseys are the "I" size.

My Odyssey I bears serial number 24895-1385 and was made in the USA. Pawl type AR and cork drag.
My Odyssey+I bears the serial number 07699-3773 and was made in the USA. Pawl type AR and cork/Rulon drag.

Thanks for the link to the information you've gathered!

Tight lines,
Bob

desertrat

Reaction score
Thanks Bob for sharing your reels serial number. I’m still looking for more info on the Odyssey, seems like the ones marked with an X were the close outs. And I wonder if serial numbers (not the Julian neither the year, just the progressive number) change when produced in different location (Ontario & Azusa)

ddb

Reaction score
I have an Odyssey II +, serial #5499-3564, made in USA. The hang tag on the box has an LOC # 96K010, an M (model?) # 741R-6100, and a B# 261-0516. The price mark is $430. ( I got it at an Orvis tent sale for @ $125.!!

It is a marvel of rugged attractive design, finish work, and reliability on the water. It is too heavy for most ltwt modern graphite rods in its size range but fits 4-5 wt bamboo and glass rods perfectly and adds some class too.

In a fit of stupidity I tried to sell it awhile back and thank god there were no takers. What was I thinking?

ddb

desertrat

Reaction score
Thanks ddb, can you just confirm that the number is 5499? At the beginning they used 4 digits but, after 95 they used 5, so it could be 05499 or another number before. Sorry to be so picky but, it will change the database

ddb

Reaction score
desertrat,

Sorry to complicate things but I double checked and that's the serial #. In fact no room on the reel foot for another digit in the size numbers used.

ddb

desertrat

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing sweetandsalt

95, 97 & 98 are very steady on the serial numbers. Something happened in 99. Richard Jacobsen says that Serial numbers were not affected by locations. I have not figure it out.

Does any one knows how to post a spreadsheet? It is funny to see how there are to different sets of numbers

I hope more people will share serial numbers, thanks again

desmobob

Reaction score
I just received my third Odyssey I reel. The first one I bought was an Odyssey+ I. It was in beautiful shape but didn't work properly. Turns out it was assembled wrong and, for some reason, the previous owner had used silicone or Goop to glue the Rulon drag disk to the frame side of the reel. I got it off and cleaned everything up and the drag is now dreamy smooth and the reel is my favorite.

I opened up the Odyseey+ I that arrived today and guess what? Someone had sloppily glued the Rulon disk to the frame, just like on the other one I bought! A weird coincidence or both reels belonged to the same guy at one time...

Tight lines,
Bob

desertrat

Reaction score
Hi Bob,

With recent reels showing up on the web, I found out that there are some reels made in 1994. Seems to be at least four sets of serial numbers and the first one is a slight different from the others. It doesn’t have two digits for the year. Took me a little to figure it out but, a reel in Germany help me out.

desmobob

Reaction score
I hope more people will share serial numbers, thanks again
I forgot to send you the serial number from my recent acquisition... Odyssey+ I 07699-3823 Made in U.S.A.
It has the pawl AR, cork and Rulon drag disks, and the thin, hard plastic handle.

Tight lines,
Bob