Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can't find much on-line information on Orvis Odyssey and Odyssey+ reels...

I have a thing for small-sized big game reels apparently. I have two older, discontinued, Orvis Mirage I reels and just picked up my second Odyssey I. The Odyssey that I already had is an Odyssey+ I and the new addition is the original non "+" model. The only difference I'm seeing is that the Odyssey+ has an extra Rulon drag disc between the frame and the cork on the drag disc/AR clutch piece or whatever it's called.

Since I bought both of these reels in used condition and can't find a parts diagram on line, I don't really know if this is normal or if the older reel is missing the Rulon disc. The drag as-is is smooth and silky and doesn't seem to be lacking. It feels every bit as smooth as the Odyssey+ with the added disc.

To use a couple of favorite phrases to describe these reels, I'd call them "a cross between a Swiss watch and a bank vault" (I first read that phrase in a gun magazine review of the Freedom Arms Casull .454) or, "an iron fist in a velvet glove." Love 'em to death.

Tight lines,
    Bob
    At the southern tip of Lake Champlain

2. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Can't find much on-line information on Orvis Odyssey and Odyssey+ reels...

I agree! They were extremely well done, I have 2. Mine are the Odyssey III & Odyssey IV, I use both as Spey reels and the drags handle salmon no sweat. I have zero experience with the Plus reels...……………….

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Default Re: Can't find much on-line information on Orvis Odyssey and Odyssey+ reels...

To me, the only drawback to the Odyssey reels is that is a bit involved to change spools; I don't think I'd want them on some of my outfits where I change line types.

But for the 3wt and 4wt outfits I use them on, a floating line is what I'll be fishing so spool changes aren't something I'll be doing.

Those big, cork drags are s-m-o-o-o-t-h!

Tight lines,
    Bob

5. Likes Ard, jr spey liked this post

Odyssey is a very interesting riff on the cork draw-bar concept with some unique design modifications, a very well designed in house by Orvis and US machined reel. Mine is a III. Like all draw-bars, this reel is not intended for quick, riverbank spool switching. Have you attempted to discuss a technical specification sheet with Orvis customer service? With persistence on your behalf, they must have it available and should also be able to describe the difference between the original and + models...which I would like to know myself, mine is a +.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    Have you attempted to discuss a technical specification sheet with Orvis customer service? With persistence on your behalf, they must have it available and should also be able to describe the difference between the original and + models...which I would like to know myself, mine is a +.
    I happen to have just called Orvis this morning. I ordered a reel part, then asked about the differences between the Odyssey and Odyssey+. The gentlemen didn't know. He was able to e-mail a .pdf of the instruction manual from the non-+ model. I was hoping it included an exploded parts diagram but it did not. Incidentally, the manual is for the Odyssey III and IV so if anyone needs a copy, PM me.

As you mentioned, it apparently will take some persistence on my behalf to get more information from the folks at Orvis.

Tight lines,
    Bob

Bob, They tend to be quit good with contemporary, in production stuff but lack accessible resources for earlier products. They usually can get it but it requires they research and/or go up the seniority ladder. This is not their favorite thing to do hence your required persistence and patience.

I may try to bribe my way into the reel repair shop with a big box of donuts the next time I'm in Manchester, VT. Maybe I can get some information there. They have provided me with some outstanding service and I'd like to show my thanks.

As I noted, they e-mailed a .pdf of the Odyssey III & IV manual, which appears to be different from the Odyssey manual I already have. It looks older and shows a totally different AR clutch. I'm pretty sure it's older as the reel handle in the photo is the thin, hard plastic type, while the reel handle pictured in the manual I already have shows the flattened, rubber handle. I have a bunch of Orvis DXR reels, too, and know the older ones came with the thin plastic handles while the newer ones were equipped with the grippy, flattened rubber ones.

Tight lines,
    Bob

Mine too has the rubberized "paddle" handle.

Blog Entries

The reel shop has had a significant turn over with many of the old hands retiring and I haven't found the new people to be especially knowledgeable so don't go with the most expensive donuts

I did research the reels about 10 years ago and found that some were made for Orvis by Ross I think it was and the early models were done by a small shop in Southern California. The Cal. shop is long gone and followup on that led to a dead end. Way back then I had gotten the new style Paddle handles for my reels and changed them from the small round delrin plastic handles on mine. I do have an extra paddle and a round handle if ever you may need one.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

12. Thanks desmobob thanked for this post
  13. Default Re: Can't find much on-line information on Orvis Odyssey and Odyssey+ reels...

Hi everyone,

I have done some research for the last couple years. I posted on

The Classic Fly Rod Forum Odyssey reel a recap-need your help to make it better

If you will be kind to help me to add your reels to the database, it will be helpful

14. Likes desmobob liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast