Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default Loop Q series reel

I'm pretty sure they are new if not brand new. Has anyone heard any early reviews on them? Good price point at $119.

Q-SERIES REEL AVAILABLE IN FOUR INCREMENTAL sizes, the excellent new range of Q reels are the direct result of a two year project to develop a performance LOOP fly reel at a highly competitive price point. Finished in a dark gunmetal grey and featuring our iconic L shaped badge of honour on the robust die-cast reel housing, each reel benefits from a powerful braking system perfectly suited for the pursuit of multiple species. The lightweight spool is machine engineered and features a V shaped arbour design to improve line retrieval during operation. As well as this effective line management, all Q reels feature a unique embedded counterbalance to enhance rotational efficiency and also streamline the overall fly reel profile. The spool is quickly and efficiently secured and removed by a cleverly integrated screw cap, resulting in no loose component parts that could easily be misplaced. The attached cap allows for effortless spool changing function when an alternative line profile or line density is required. In summary, the four models in the Q series offers performance fly reel solutions for the most demanding fly fishing environments. Embedded counter balance on spool V shaped spool for optimal line retrieval Ergonomic winding handle Sealed powerful drag system Large clutch knob for precise drag adjustment Integrated spool screw cap Two part spool and housing configuration with no loose components

q.jpg

2. Default Re: Loop Q series reel

No and why...there are numerous low price point Asian fly reels in the market place. According to Britannica...
    "Scandinavia, historically Scandia, part of northern Europe, generally held to consist of the two countries of the Scandinavian Peninsula, Norway and Sweden, with the addition of Denmark. Some authorities argue for the inclusion of Finland on geologic and economic grounds and of Iceland and the Faroe Islands on the grounds that their inhabitants speak North Germanic (or Scandinavian) languages related to those of Norway and Sweden."

Their redundant and tautological marketing hype of an Asian manufactured reel, "Designed and Developed In Scandinavia" frankly, insults intelligence...where was the reel designed ...a consortium of Norway Sweden Denmark with some style from Iceland and the Faroe Islands and some hat style from Finland?

Whilst I am notoriously pro "Merican" notably Abel and recently Lamson...I do have an Asian reel a BVK 4 close out purchased Sierra TP for 125...and have a genuine Swede Danielsson Nymph W purchased directly from Sweden. I am not an absolutist.

Ok I'm done ranting...had tooo much hard cider last nite ...should stick to Rum or Scotch

Default Re: Loop Q series reel

Quote Originally Posted by bonefish41 View Post
    No and why...there are numerous low price point Asian fly reels in the market place. According to Britannica...
    "Scandinavia, historically Scandia, part of northern Europe, generally held to consist of the two countries of the Scandinavian Peninsula, Norway and Sweden, with the addition of Denmark. Some authorities argue for the inclusion of Finland on geologic and economic grounds and of Iceland and the Faroe Islands on the grounds that their inhabitants speak North Germanic (or Scandinavian) languages related to those of Norway and Sweden."

Their redundant and tautological marketing hype of an Asian manufactured reel, "Designed and Developed In Scandinavia" frankly, insults intelligence...where was the reel designed ...a consortium of Norway Sweden Denmark with some style from Iceland and the Faroe Islands and some hat style from Finland?

Whilst I am notoriously pro "Merican" notably Abel and recently Lamson...I do have an Asian reel a BVK 4 close out purchased Sierra TP for 125...and have a genuine Swede Danielsson Nymph W purchased directly from Sweden. I am not an absolutist.

Ok I'm done ranting...had tooo much hard cider last nite ...should stick to Rum or Scotch
    Not to start a fight, but one could argue that where it is designed is more important than where it is built. The engineering and aesthetics of a product often seem to be influenced by the culture of the country of origin more than the manufacturing process is. With the appropriate materials and machinery, a good reel can be built anywhere, provided the manufacturer maintains a sufficiently high standard for quality control. There was a time when "Made in Japan" meant "cheap POS" to many Americans, but one would be hard pressed to put that tag on most modern products from Japan, and there seems to be little reluctance to buy those products. Almost anyone can build a good product, but not all companies are turning out great designs. I find Lamsons to be some of the most attractive reels made. Eliminating that ugly counterweight by incorporating extra metal into the design of that side of the spool is so simple... and brilliant. Loop does that too. There are companies that build great reels, but most are more utilitarian than truly attractive. Products from "Scandinavia" often seem to be very innovative in design. A reel is a tool, but there's no reason that it can't also be aesthetically pleasing. I know that given two products of equal quality, I would be inclined to buy the one that is most visually appealing.

All that being said, I also prefer to buy 'Merican when possible/practical, and will even pay a little more for a US-made product than one of similar quality made in Asia.

As for the issue of Scandinavia versus Sweden, Loop is based near Stockholm, which is only 200 miles from the border with Norway. Oslo is closer to Stockholm than Jacksonville is to Miami, and Copenhagen is closer to Stockholm than San Francisco is to Los Angeles, so I would speculate that some of the designers working for the company may be from Norway or Denmark, and they are just recognizing contributions to the design by people other than Swedes. It may also be some kind of thing where they group themselves by region rather than country; maybe Scandinavians have a sense of kinship the way Americans do in the Pacific Northwest, Midwest, South, or New England, instead of only differentiating by state.
    People complain about the humidity in Florida... but no one's ever had to shovel humidity to get to his car.