Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  43
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Orvis CFO Fly Reels

Quote Originally Posted by dennyk View Post
    Not meant to be a slam on Orvis but I did try to get a 3wt Superfine glass fly rod early this past spring. None were available. Went with a Scott 3wt Flex instead-not a disappointment at all, this is the rod that has my CFO III as it's companion.

Denny
    I don't intend to slam either...there is just something strange going on with their operations and marketing. I was in a Santa Fe fly shop this past summer and asked the owner if Orvis was discontinuing the Superfine series...at that time there weren't hardly any rods available online or retail in both carbon and glass. He said no, they just can't keep up with the sales.
    MIKE ADAIR - Exploring New Mexico landscapes through fly fishing, golf, and art.
    @mikehrnm

2. Likes dennyk, hairwing530 liked this post

There was a time from the late 1970's into the mid 80's that Orvis was at the top of the game. A leader in graphite fly rod development and proud of the top shelf CFO, the likes of Loomis and Sage had yet to rise and take on a new mantel. Scotts and Winston's were built on proprietary but outsourced blanks from Fisher (the Scotts were already good though and no doubt influenced Orvis's Western Series, arguably their best rod in relative terms to the time). Below is my oldest still in use outfit and irreplaceable with anything from their current production, 1984 Orvis Western 8'/#4 and CFO IV.

T13 102 Western#4 s.jpg

4. Likes mka, hairwing530, dennyk, k_e_v, rockriver liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    There was a time from the late 1970's into the mid 80's that Orvis was at the top of the game. A leader in graphite fly rod development and proud of the top shelf CFO, the likes of Loomis and Sage had yet to rise and take on a new mantel. Scotts and Winston's were built on proprietary but outsourced blanks from Fisher (the Scotts were already good though and no doubt influenced Orvis's Western Series, arguably their best rod in relative terms to the time). Below is my oldest still in use outfit and irreplaceable with anything from their current production, 1984 Orvis Western 8'/#4 and CFO IV.

T13 102 Western#4 s.jpg
    Pretty attached to mine as well! The reel is on a Scott A4 5wt.

Denny

6. Likes mka, k_e_v, hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by mka View Post
    I don't intend to slam either...there is just something strange going on with their operations and marketing. I was in a Santa Fe fly shop this past summer and asked the owner if Orvis was discontinuing the Superfine series...at that time there weren't hardly any rods available online or retail in both carbon and glass. He said no, they just can't keep up with the sales.
    Demand outstripping supply is always a retailer/manufactures worst nightmare. There are so many questions which need to be considered before making substantial investment in new tooling, employment, orders, lead times etc. Is it it likely to continue? Is it a fad? Is there risk of reputational damage? Is there risk of loss to other lines (more profitable lines) etc, etc.
    Orvis with the USA Mirage have found a good tool shop. The finish is superb. The new Mirage LT is on its way. Lighter for the smaller, lighter tackle rigs. Sounds as good (click wise) as a CFO. I suspect the new CFO will follow this. Furthermore demand for the Mirage, I believe has been high, so the new tool shop has probably been at or close to capacity. I can understand why Abel no longer want to make the CFO (and this may have been a sudden, unexpected decision which messed up Orvis' production planning), so where do Orvis go? New manufacture, with no real relationship.....associated the start up costs etc? Or take stock, redesign with the intention of moving production to the tool shop where the Mirage is produced while focusing on the demand for the new Mirage?
    Given the success of the new tool shop, finish of the new Mirage, in my mind it was a no brainer that Orvis would bring production of the CFO to the same location....it may be this been forced on them earlier than expected.
    They have had success with the new Helios 3. Again finite resources I suspect so difficult choices have to be made. If there is a sales ratio of 5:1, well speaks for itself really. Production will settle down once the market has had the initial satisfaction required.
    http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f304/Gforcegerry/shadowcaster.gif
    Regards Gerard

8. Likes dennyk, k_e_v, hairwing530 liked this post

I am thinking of getting a dedicated French nymphing rod and would love to use an older CFO made in UK reel since I LOVE the look of them.

What would be a good model to look out for to use? I am thinking 2 or 3 wt line at the most and a long light rod like the TFO.

Beginning in the late 1980s, I used a Battenkill Mark III with my Orvis Western 9' 4wt, and later with my Winston IM6. When the Mark III was showing wear, I replaced it with a CFO III around 1997 or 98. I still have the reel, but don't use it. I retired it in favor for a large arbor reel with a maintenance free drag -- first the Ross Evolution and later a Galvan Torque. I also have a Hardy LHR Lightweight from around 1982 that has never been used. I gave it to my Dad with a rod back then, but he never fished with them. For actual fishing, I prefer something with a faster retrieve and less maintenance, but these reels are classics and I can't part with them. I don't see myself as a reel collector, but I'm hanging on to the CFO and the LHR.
    "Sometimes the least important thing about fishing is fishing." --Roderick Haig-Brown

11. Likes sweetandsalt, dennyk, hairwing530 liked this post

So, what would the opinions be if Orvis's forthcoming CFO departed from its origins and, while preserving its aesthetics, was machined and anodized, featured a mid to larger arbor and perhaps, a light duty actual drag...or spring and pawl on a III and a compact drag on a IV or V?

The CFO I've just mated with my little DART is a III but one of those Chinese machined ones with an off-set drag, CFO Disc (a perfect neutral balance). Its bronze anodization matches the reel seat hardware on the 7 1/2' DART. It is not a great drag but easily set to little more than an overrun check...or more. Looks good and is well made but also smacks of "fake" CFO. And therein lies the issue with any new CFO including the handsome Abel made one.

13. Likes dennyk, hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    So, what would the opinions be if Orvis's forthcoming CFO departed from its origins and, while preserving its aesthetics, was machined and anodized, featured a mid to larger arbor and perhaps, a light duty actual drag...or spring and pawl on a III and a compact drag on a IV or V?

The CFO I've just mated with my little DART is a III but one of those Chinese machined ones with an off-set drag, CFO Disc (a perfect neutral balance). Its bronze anodization matches the reel seat hardware on the 7 1/2' DART. It is not a great drag but easily set to little more than an overrun check...or more. Looks good and is well made but also smacks of "fake" CFO. And therein lies the issue with any new CFO including the handsome Abel made one.
    There was a time when I would have been anxiously awaiting a new CFO model launch...but not any longer. What I have is what I will have, whether my old CFO's are deemed real deal or not. Back in the early 2000's BMW was going through an ugly phase with their so called "flame surfacing design concept" and they lost me as a customer. I kind of feel like Orvis is going through their ugly phase now. I hate to say it, but I have moved on to support other makers.

MIKE ADAIR - Exploring New Mexico landscapes through fly fishing, golf, and art.
    @mikehrnm

15. Likes el jefe, dennyk, hairwing530, jamesrick liked this post

That is a handsome outfit, mka, and the (limited TU addition?) CFO, except for color, looks identical to the one I just mounted on SD GLX. It does not matter to me a wit that it is not an "authentic original" it is just right for the Loomis #4.

My point is, if they are going to reintroduce their classic namesake, is it vital they depart as little as possible from their original or, as in their rod evolution, bring CFO New up to the 21st. century? Nostalgia vs. Progress.

17. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

My 2 CFOs. Both BFR made, red one last off the production line before the factory closed. I so happen to really like this design. I appreciate the older Hardy made design but feel this was a good modern interpretation. I do prefer the drag knob over the Abel made reel. Less obtrusive.

cfo_zpsb0366805.jpg
    http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f304/Gforcegerry/shadowcaster.gif
    Regards Gerard

19. Likes dennyk, sweetandsalt, these go to 11 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast