Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  21
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Best New 4wt, 5wt, 6wt reels?

I have been fishing a Galvan T5 on my new 5 wt recently for redfish. I've had it a few months, but I have had several reds run into the backing, and the drag has been smooth so far. I wouldn't hesitate to fish this reel on some larger rivers where a hot rainbow could also show you your backing.

This thread is nice timing for me. I am an Abel fanboy and they outfit all of my trout rods, except for older (>15y) Ross reels I still have on backup rods. I have pre-current generation Abel TR's on two 4wts and love them. I have older super 4's mounted with different lines in case I want to switch lines or need a drag. I had updated my primary 5 and 6wt rods with super 5n and super 6n, but have to say I am looking to move on from them. Disappointed compared to my older abels. I have looked at the new TR's a couple of times at spey claves and really like them, and am trying to decide between that or perhaps a Hardy. I have never given hardy's much attention for my trout rods until I had my first close look at the newest ones while on business in Ft. Collins. Really like the duchess. I know perfects from my two-hand buddies.

In 4, 5 and 6wt reels I prefer a click and pawl reel, weighing in the 4-5oz range (when loaded with line), with a narrow spool rather than a wide spool, 3" to 3.5" diameter and classic styling over new age/futuristic styles. Part of the reason is my reels get used on Bamboo, Glass and Graphite rods interchangeably and a classic style reel always looks good regardless of rod material, also I have never needed a drag system for the fish I catch on these rods sizes.

In new reels I would stick with the Hardy (Duchess or Marquis) or Douglas Argus as the manufacturers are known for many years as quality reels and these reels for their classic style. That is not to say I do not own or have owned some of the fancier designs or large arbor reels and mid-arbor reels from various manufacturers. They are just not my favorites. I do use adjustable sealed drag/larger arbor reels for line sizes greater than 6wt. Also if cost was an issue the Orvis Battenkill series fits the bill although the writing on the reel is not desirable to me, they are solidly built and very functional.

Regards,

Tim C.

4. Default Re: Best New 4wt, 5wt, 6wt reels?

I have been fishing the abel super 3n and 5n and really lkie them!

I love my Galvan on my 6 weight - it is so silky smooth with such great drag. But it is heavy. I bought a new Sage 904 One this year and put a new Lamson Lightspeed 1.5 on it with a DT 4 weight line and love it. It doesn't weigh anything and I feel that contributes to how light the rig is to cast. The drag is fine and proved itself on Rock Creek in MT this year when hooking up some really nice sized cuttties. I just don't understand why people talk about not needing a decent drag on a reel when the trout can pull that hard and take that much line out.
    My best vacation is your worst nightmare. After all, it's only really fun if it is at least Type 2 fun.

6. Default Re: Best New 4wt, 5wt, 6wt reels?

Well if you are asking what is new, we have two new reel and several new custom finishes...

revo z gold.jpg

rasta SE.jpg

california sunset.jpg
    Quality Fly Fishing Reels at www.taylorflyfishing.com

I already fish a Taylor T1 in a 4-wt. size and plan on very carefully inspecting the above depicted Revolution Z with its carbon frame come the Edison Show. Intriguing indeed.

8. Likes Editor liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by taylorreels View Post
    Well if you are asking what is new, we have two new reel and several new custom finishes...
    Would love to hear a sound clip of how the Revolution Z sounds both during retrieve and outgoing. And why the extra frame pillars? I'm not criticizing, just curious.

10. Default Re: Best New 4wt, 5wt, 6wt reels?

Quote Originally Posted by jds108 View Post
    Would love to hear a sound clip of how the Revolution Z sounds both during retrieve and outgoing. And why the extra frame pillars? I'm not criticizing, just curious.
    Here is the sound bit...

The reel is a full frame design. It stops the line frome slipping between the frame and spool. It’s highly beneficial when using shooting heads.
    Quality Fly Fishing Reels at www.taylorflyfishing.com

11. Thanks jds108 thanked for this post
    Likes Editor liked this post
    Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by deceiverbob View Post
    I have been fishing a Galvan T5 on my new 5 wt recently for redfish. I've had it a few months, but I have had several reds run into the backing, and the drag has been smooth so far. I wouldn't hesitate to fish this reel on some larger rivers where a hot rainbow could also show you your backing.
    Hi Bob,I love Galvan reels and managed some good fish on my Torque T8 some years back now.The only issue that irked me was the seemingly interminable number of turns from go to whoa with the drag knob.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast