Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default More from the Vault-Fly Reels this time

Having gotten further into all the piles of stuff in the garage these have appeared after a 20 year hiatus (the rods surfaced last week). All still good to go and, after being equipped with new lines and a bit of oil, ready to fish with.

There’s a Hardy Golden LRH Lightweight, Orvis CFO III (made in England), Hardy Marquis 7, Marryat 7.5A, Marryat 8.5 and assorted spare spools.

Regards,

Trevor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Likes cooutlaw, flytie09, Ard, duker, dennyk, tcorfey liked this post

Default Re: More from the Vault-Fly Reels this time

cb, Are you back in England for a visit or is your gig in Dubai over? Nice bunch of trout reels, I have similar.

Blog Entries

Nice Trever, I don't see many of the Marryat's these days especially up here.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

5. Default Re: More from the Vault-Fly Reels this time

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    cb, Are you back in England for a visit or is your gig in Dubai over? Nice bunch of trout reels, I have similar.
    S and S,

I’ve recently semi retired and have come back to the UK (although I’m an Aussie, my wife’s English) to get some needed improvements done to our house. I’ve been lucky and have some consultancy work in Dubai that will keep me in touch with my old working life. What’s exciting though is the fishing charter business in Dubai is really keeping us busy and I now have the time to commit to it. Being my own boss also means I can take myself off fishing when the opportunity arises without having as many constraints and, to that end, will be on Alphonse/St Francois in early February chasing the usual suspects.

Regards,

Trevor

6. Likes Ard, sweetandsalt liked this post
  7. Default Re: More from the Vault-Fly Reels this time

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    Nice Trever, I don't see many of the Marryat's these days especially up here.
    Ard,

They’re very pretty and feel great in the hand but I get the feeling that if I rested one of my Abels on top of them they’d get squashed.

Regards,

Trevor

8. Likes sweetandsalt liked this post

Congratulations are in definite order Trevor !! Enjoy the new chapter and journey!!

Will you be "fishing with Larry" In February?

Blog Entries

When they came into fly shops in the Northeast US along with reels like Galvan those 2 brands assisted me in amassing a hoard of Hardy reels by the turn of the century. People considered the Marquis and Lightweight series crude compared to the new breeds. Once some reels (Hardys) had languished in those showcases for a few years I began finding business owners who were willing to sell them to me at cost rather than have them become antiques while on the shelf.

Little did we know or could have seen the shift to S. Korea manufacture back then and that led to an explosion of value in the Alnwick made reels. When it happened I found that I had some 20 plus unused vintage Hardy reels and the Bull Market was on

First I've seen any of the Marryat posted here in ages, brought back those memories of me dickering with shop owners.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

11. Thanks camelbrass thanked for this post
  12. Default Re: More from the Vault-Fly Reels this time

Quote Originally Posted by cooutlaw View Post
    Congratulations are in definite order Trevor !! Enjoy the new chapter and journey!!

Will you be "fishing with Larry" In February?
    Larry better watch out, that’s all I’m sayin’.......

Regards,

Trevor

13. Likes cooutlaw liked this post
  14. Default Re: More from the Vault-Fly Reels this time

Ard,

I would never consider myself a trout fisherman but the Marquis ticks all the boxes for a great reel, period. Simple, strong, well made, exposed rim (in the absence of a drag system), narrow spool. Just a great timeless design.

Regards,

Trevor

15. Likes tln1313 liked this post

I do like the look of Marryat reels. They have a sort of 'Scandi-sheek' to their design, the Bang and Olufsen of fly reel makers.
    Thanks for sharing, camelbrass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast