Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Cassette Fly Reels VS Conventional Fly Reels

I have a Hardy Demon 9000 with two cassettes and a Snowbee 1112 with 4 cassettes.
    Never had a problem with a fish on either of them.
    I really like being able to have numerous lines spooled up with backing and change at will depending on conditions and the river.
    They're never going to be collectible but they sure are usable.

2. Likes Ard liked this post

Well I just ordered one more cassette type being the Greys QRS. Likely will be my last Cassette type as I should end up with 2 high quality ones and half decent one and this will cover a few different rods and line weights.

Next is to figure out what I want for a collector type reel I want to hand down to my future grandchildren. I'm thinking.......ahh so many possibilities lol.
    Life is too short to not own at least one piece of Hardy fly fishing gear

4. Default Re: Cassette Fly Reels VS Conventional Fly Reels

I use to rep Hardy and was very impressed with the Cassette reels. While I'm not sure I'd rig one for Tarpon or False Albacore (Hardys reel designer Howard Crofton didn't consider them SW everyday reels), they are great for about any FW quarry and light SW use. To me it was perfect for carrying a bunch of different streamer lines for stripping.

I actually Have two of the Pflueger Supreme QRS 2/3/4/5 Cartrige reels, These were made By Grey I was Told. First I would like to say that it is really a nice reel and have used them with no problems. I actually had purchased one of these reels on Sale for the purpose of comparing and testing out the two dozen or so assorted flylines I have. The Cartridge system made it so easy to just unscrew the thumbscrew and unlatch the locking clip,and then pop out the cartridge and snap and lock in a new one... I have culled my lines very easily that way and proceeded to use the reels many times fishing since then with no problems. They have a super smooth drag system perfect for small to Medium trout.... I Never tried these reels in the larger sizes But I would think they would perform similar.. The 4 Cartridges Included consist of two Regular arbor and two Large arbor Spools. (2 are just deeper to hold larger diameter line) mine is a 2345 model and I put on flylines from 3 to 6 with No Problem naturally the larger the line the less the backing... These are Aluminum and made damn well and for the price I have seen them for sale for are quite a bargain. I spooled my reels up with all my Oddball lines that I experiment with, Homemade Sink tips , Full Sinking, Straight Mono, etc, etc... Well made and so far they worked perfect for me...The Only modification I have made on mine were to add a super thin nylon washer over the main stem so it had No Wobble at all. That worked perfect... I would recommend this reel and for $90- $140 they are well worth it Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ontarioflyguy View Post
    Yes it seems they are not as popular here in North America. I love my Hardy CLS, the Greys GTS 500 is a much cheaper reel but the drag system for an 8wt is more than adequate. I recently came upon the Greys QRS then noticed that it is the same as the Pflueger although the Greys looks better to me...was thinking of buying one more cassette style and then a more traditional large reel if I get into more spey/switch rods. I guess not a huge following on these types of reels on here although their practicality is amazing. Most see it as just about how many lines can be used but for me its about how many different rods can utilized with the same reel,

However...my Lamson Guru 1.5 on my 3 wt is awesome and if I can't get another spool for the original I may have to purchase the newer version of one. Love the Made in USA/North America thing.

In certain parts of Canada we really get blocked to most of the variety of good fly reels which is a shame! We can mail order but the duty charges are brutal.
    I have been able to find Lamson reels and occasionally spare spools on ebay. Have been able to get them in various sizes at around half their original face value.

I am on the lookout for an original Lamson Guru 1.5 spool or tow. Love it on my 3 weight!

I have looked at the Pflueger QRS sold locally and as soon as I picked it up figured it was the same design as the Greys QRS. In internet photo's I noticed something different however and I ordered the Greys QRS from England. Cost me an extra $15 than the Pflueger locally but if i"m right there may me an upgrade to the Greys...will only know when I receive. If they have the same silky smooth drag of the other Greys and Hardy I own then very worth it. Will give an update when it arrives....likely a few weeks from know as I was too cheep to expedite the mail delivery.....it is frozen up here in Ontario right now lol

Quote Originally Posted by bigal36 View Post
    I have been able to find Lamson reels and occasionally spare spools on ebay. Have been able to get them in various sizes at around half their original face value.
    Well I have my eye open for some spare Lamson Guru 1.5 spools but I live in Canada and it is cheaper for me to order off eBay from England and Australia than to bring in some items from the USA....CRAZY I agree but when I can order from England with no duty charged it is hard for me to buy online from the States. Silly as right next door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Received my Greys QRS 5678 reel and it is the exact same as the Pflueger sold in North America. It is a good reel and I will use but wish I had purchased another Greys GTS 500 or Greys 700 if I could find one as the drag is smoother on the latter models. It is a great concept and a usable reel although the older model reels made in Korea did have noticeably higher quality. This is not to take away that it is a good reel for the price but found the drag not near as smooth as the Korean built reels from Greys a few years ago....also....not a fan of the plastic caps on drag and spool release on a nice looking aluminum reel. May use or sell ...looking for a Greys GTS700 789 but hard to find new now.
    I do like the cassette system for different lines and rods on same reel although when I settle for my "rods for life" I will buy a Reel for life...traditional reel with spare spool or two.

Hi I purchased the 2345 Pflueger model Cassette reel this year that are made by Greys... They are in a Nice dark blue and I was quite surprised how well they are made. They have a nice Locking system, and colored push pins to indentify the type of line on the reel and the line weight. They sell a 2345 or a larger one I believe is a 5678 Its Funny But I like the Pflueger better than the Grey model reels.... They are pretty nicely made and the only thing I noticed on both models is that they have a little to much play (side to side wiggle on the spool..) I put in a super thin nylon washer and Bingo no more slop and works perfectly...... Great reel for the $120 or so There is one up now on Spey Pages SSnyder has a 5678 for sale $100 New The Hardy ASR reels are nice but Too Large a diameter and Heavy for me ...JMO Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12