which reel to use for a Douglas DXF 10' 3 weight

englishspringer

Reaction score
I picked up a DXF 10' 3 weight demo (model 3104) and want to find a quality, budget reel to balance it out. I've heard that the Lamson Litespeed is a good value for $99 but I don't know if this is a good match for this rod. While I care about budget most important is something that balances out this rod. Any suggestions?

Dave

perryk

Reaction score
You arent getting a Litespeed for $99...

A clearance Ross Animas 3/4 would be pretty sweet....$175 at MRFC

eastfly66

Reaction score
Best bang for you buck & built like a tank check out Aspen reels and they are made in the US.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you concerned with weight of the reel? You may need some weight to counterbalance the tip when you have the rod strung up with line.

Or……. If you like super light combos I'd just look at weights to help decide. I'm guessing you don't need a disc drag for a three weight rod so that opens up an even wider range of choices in reels. The 'budget' thing adds a layer of complexity regarding what I might suggest so I'll leave that part blank :)

englishspringer

Reaction score
Are you concerned with weight of the reel? You may need some weight to counterbalance the tip when you have the rod strung up with line.

Or……. If you like super light combos I'd just look at weights to help decide. I'm guessing you don't need a disc drag for a three weight rod so that opens up an even wider range of choices in reels. The 'budget' thing adds a layer of complexity regarding what I might suggest so I'll leave that part blank :)

Thanks for the quick responses! Oops, I meant a Lamson Liquid for $99, that's their cheapest reel. As far as the balancing / weight question I got the Devin Olson / Lance Egan video on Euro nymphing and they said for long rods it's important to get the right reel to balance the rod to help reduce arm strain. So, I think that means getting the reel that makes it easiest on your arm. Not sure however if getting the lightest reel woudln't achieve the same goal?

Dave

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't do the Euro Nymph thing but have noticed that when the reel is heavy enough to counterbalance the tip the rod is easier to hold. By easier I mean you can have a relaxed grip because the rod isn't trying to tip from the fulcrum point (your hand)

Or conversely lighter would be best if you fish with an extended arm...……….

original cormorant

Reaction score
Get a $20/30 reel. Then when your not happy with it you will have learned if you want heavier or lighter and can go and spend on the vanity reel.

proheli

Reaction score
I’d get a 4 or 5 weight reel. The big spool will make it easier to wind in the line. Plus, if you want to add weight to balance the rod better there will be space to add some lead line or weights under the backing.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Mine is an early Steve Abel reel so it is all imported; the machine work was performed in the Country of California.

Why can't we grow cork trees here in America?

osseous

Reaction score
Mine is an early Steve Abel reel so it is all imported; the machine work was performed in the Country of California.

Why can't we grow cork trees here in America?
Apparently it's a very tightly held market- at least the champagne cork market is. I still love cork drags. I'll be in Lisbon next year. Maybe I'll try to swipe a few seeds and stage a coup?...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk