fly reels for trout spey?

durangobrad

Reaction score
Im starting to look at options for reels for my trout spey rod. its a an 11' throwing 300 grain skagit with sink tips swinging streamers mostly. So about the equivalent of 6-7 weight single hand rod.

I want to get an older style reel with a click and pawl drag. I usually switch my reels to right hand retrieve since im a lefty, so being able to this would be a plus. Would also like to keep it under about $100 used.

I like the looks of the Martin Classic, what are some other good options to look into?

perryk

Reaction score
Maybe a Lamson Liquid #2 or Redington Behemoth 5/6...

I know they arent clicker reels but they are around budget zone.

durangobrad

Reaction score
Thanks Im aware there are modern reels at under $100 that would work just fine. I really want a vintage look and click and pawl sound.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
JW Young vintage clicker models like Beaudex, Condex, Pridex, etc. would be in your price range if you can find them.

flytie09

Reaction score
Young Beaudex, Shakespeare Worcestershire, Jw Young Neauveux to name a few.

flav

Reaction score
I like my clickers to have a palming rim and dual pawls. That shortens the list of reels that interest me quite a bit.
I've found the JW Young 1500 series and it's rebranded versions by Sage, Daiwa, LL Bean, and Shakespeare to be very reliable. They're rather ugly and heavy, but they're tough. They're also rather loud, which is something I like, but some people don't. I also like the old cast aluminum Orvis Battenkill clickers from the 90's, a better looking reel, very tough, and also a bit noisy.

flytie09

Reaction score
An older Orvis Battenkill is another option that comes to mind.

Lesser known Young Multipliers, Farlow Cobra or Farlow BWPs too. You’re going to look towards the UK for these. Just be sure to closely inspect pics of the drive gear. If the previous owner didn’t keep it properly lubricated..... it could have heavy wear and the reel is toast.

I’ve learned the hard way on several occasions.